+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Mac Thread, MacBook Air 11" - Anyone on here own one? in Technical; Originally Posted by flyinghaggis I take it Windows7 works OK on the Macbook Air 11 and has working drivers for ...
    Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by flyinghaggis View Post
    I take it Windows7 works OK on the Macbook Air 11 and has working drivers for all of the hardware devices (audio/webcam//touchpad/etc) ? Is there anything that doesn't work as expected?
    The way I did it was via Bootcamp which downloads a driver pack for you to save to a USB disk which can then be used once Windows is up and installed. It also installs the Bootcam client on Windows so you can access and tweak setting (like tap to click) from the tray, or right-click it and ask it to reboot to Mac OS. All nice and seemless. Everything works fine and dandy.

Thank Post
    Just so long you are aware of a few pitfalls.

There is no built in ethernet port. You can buy an adapter that can be connected via the USB port. But there is only one USB port. And obviously there is no built in optical drive. A portable optical drive would need to be used.

If you can deal without these then yes, i agree, a lovely looking piece of kit if getting used for surfing the net, running VMWare, office documents. For using more processor intensive applications however you might be better to look at a macbook pro?

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,259 Times in 790 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Only one USB port?

Mine has two...

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Domino View Post
    Only one USB port?

Mine has two...
    Yeah, I thought they had two
    I guess if you wanted to use USB Ethernet and USB Optical Drive you'd be shafted for anything else but to be honest most places i go now have wireless! and i haven't used a Optical Drive for ages

Thank Post
    Just as an FYI for anyone think about getting one it's looking like there may be a Macbook Air 'sandy bridge' refresh far sooner than expected :-

Sandy Bridge MacBook Airs inbound ? reghardware

I didn't think we'd see one this year given it was only released Oct' 2010. Having said that it's not necessarily all good news as though the i3 processor will undoubtedly be better I suspect the current Nvidia 320 GPU may be better than the Intel integrated GPU that replaces it.
    Last edited by flyinghaggis; 14th February 2011 at 10:52 AM.

Thank Post
    I think the 11 inch screen is just too small. The 13 inch is perfect and still very portable. A downside to the Macbook Air, however, is that there is no included CD drive.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by RBrooks View Post
    I think the 11 inch screen is just too small. The 13 inch is perfect and still very portable. A downside to the Macbook Air, however, is that there is no included CD drive.
    I actually think 11-12" is the perfect "sweet-spot" for portable laptops. Big enough so that you can have a decent resolution (1368x768), full size keyboard and regular sized trackpad but small enough so it can easily be picked up, chucked in a backpack or put into a bag. The problem I have with the 13" model is that to me it looks like a regular 13" laptop, but slightly thinner, whereas the 11" model is in a league all of its own when it comes to portability/function.

But then everyone has their own idea of what makes the perfect laptop! Mind you it can't be all that perfect because I still haven't bought one yet and probably wont until either the price drops or they announce the i3 CPU version.There aint no way I'm buying one now if the upgraded one is literally out in 4 months time as rumours seem to imply
    Last edited by flyinghaggis; 15th February 2011 at 06:45 PM.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12