+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Mac Thread, Snow leopard on a regular pc? in Technical; Originally Posted by NikChillin Ahh, but the disc came with a logo to stick on.... also I'm not sure that ...

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,593 Times in 2,012 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by NikChillin View Post
    Ahh, but the disc came with a logo to stick on.... also I'm not sure that it is against the law. Just that Apple don't like it.

Reason is - we want to have a look without incurring Apples extortionate hardware costs! Just experimenting.
    The problem is, its not been tested in UK courts. It has been tested in US courts, and was found to be illegal there (ie. copyright infringement due to breaching the terms of the license granting use of the software). The terms of the license are available off disc (on their website, or by asking for them, for example) and on the external of the box is a thing saying 'Use of this product is subject to acceptance of the license agreement(s) included in this package.' and their website address. So in the end, as an end-user you're being granted a license to use it, and if you don't follow the terms of that license then you don't have copyright permission and therefore are breaking copyright law.

That's my understanding of it anyway!

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    i wouldnt mind getting it running on a vm.. I support a number of mac users as well and it would save me heaps of time if i had it running locally on my desktop rather than hunting for a spare macbook every time.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,897 Times in 2,131 Posts
    If I remember correctly, Apple reworded their EULA slightly to only allow Mac OS X to be used on Apple branded computers, rather than anything with an Apple logo on it which I think it said previously. This most likely did this to stop people using the stickers and claiming they now had a computer which had an Apple logo on it.

2. Permitted License Uses and Restrictions.
    A. Single Use License. Subject to the terms and conditions of this License, unless you have purchased a Family Pack or Upgrade license for the Apple Software, you are granted a limited non-exclusive license to install, use and run one (1) copy of the Apple Software on a single Apple-branded computer at a time. You agree not to install, use or run the Apple Software on any non-Apple-branded computer, or to enable others to do so. This License does not allow the Apple Software to exist on more than one computer at a time, and you may not make the Apple Software available over a network where it could be used by multiple computers at the same time. (Source)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Arthur View Post
    If I remember correctly, Apple reworded their EULA slightly to only allow Mac OS X to be used on Apple branded computers, rather than anything with an Apple logo on it which I think it said previously. This most likely did this to stop people using the stickers and claiming they now had a computer which had an Apple logo on it.
    but how enforcable is it?

ive seen things in software licence agreements like must not be stored in a data retrieval system. Does that include a software shelf/cd wallet/cupboard etc

Thank Post
    tonymacx86 Blog: iBoot + MultiBeast: Install Mac OS X on any Intel-based PC

using the i3 and gigabyte board worked pretty well

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12