+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Mac Thread, Macs with AD integration - home folder error in Technical; Hello, I've recently bought a Mac mini server and have been playing around with AD/OD integration. I've got my macs ...

Thank Post

Macs with AD integration - home folder error

Hello,

I've recently bought a Mac mini server and have been playing around with AD/OD integration.

I've got my macs bound to AD and OD, and I've set the AD binding to map the user's home folder based on the entry in AD.

I've got three issues that I'd quite like help with...

Number 1:
    The home directory mapping seems to be working absolutely fine for staff (the home folder connects without a problem) - but it doesn't work for pupils at all - I always get a message:

"The home folder for user "bananas" is not located in the usual place or cannot be accessed.
    The home or users folder may have been moved or deleted. If the home folder is locatedon the network, the server may be unavailable temporarily."

Any ideas? The user can connect to the folder absolutely fine by using "Go --> Connect to Server" which is odd.

Issue number 2:
    If I sucessfully login using an AD account, then logout and try and login again using a different AD account I get a message "You are unable to log in to the user account "bananas" at this time" (Logging in to the account failed because an error occurred).
    What's going on there?!

Issue number 3:
    When the system boots up it takes it a brief moment to show the "Other..." user logon option. Then if I choose that to logon using an AD account it takes a few attempts (or a minute of waiting or so) before the user will authenticate properly.

Having been initially skeptical about having Mac integration there was a brief moment when I got excited about the prospect when I got it working nicely on my macbook. Now that I've discovered these other little quirks I'm now back to being a bit skeptical.

I'd be really grateful for any pointers.

Thanks,

Ant

Thank Post
    Does your AD domain end in .local?

Thank Post
    Nope... no bonjour issues here!

Thank Post
    Further investigation shows that I get these issues on 10.5 and 10.6... bah!

Thank Post
    Hmm... found this (Mac OS X v10.6: Successive Active Directory users receive "You are unable to log in to the user account (username) at this time" alert) relating to issue number 2 - but I can't find the file it refers to in the KB article. In fact I can't even find a folder called "etc".

Surely it's on the MacOSX volume somewhere?!

Thank Post
    Ah... I seem to be answering my own questions. (It's like an online version of talking to yourself and slowly slipping into insanity).

So... the fix above works for 10.5 as well as 10.6. Turns out that you need to pretend that your mac is a linux box, use a terminal and vi to edit the file. Who knew?! ;-)

Wow... one down... two to go.

I thought these mac things were supposed to "just work". Still, I do like the shiny loveliness of my Macbook Air.

Thank Post
    Getting a bit lost here. Which bit have you solved and which bit is still not working?

Thank Post
    Sorry about that - I did ramble a bit.

Issue number 2 is solved.

Issue 1 and 3 still here...

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by pantscat View Post
    Issue number 2:
    If I sucessfully login using an AD account, then logout and try and login again using a different AD account I get a message "You are unable to log in to the user account "bananas" at this time" (Logging in to the account failed because an error occurred).
    What's going on there?!
    I had the same problem. What does
    Code:
    nslookup yourdomain.local
    give you. It should return a list of all the DC's available on your network, in mine there was an extra entry which was not a DC. Removing it seems to have resolved the problem here (staff are not reporting any problems at least!).

Thank Post
    Already checked out DNS - it's all hunky-dory.
    Just my normal three DCs.

Thank Post
    Number 1:
    The home directory mapping seems to be working absolutely fine for staff (the home folder connects without a problem) - but it doesn't work for pupils at all - I always get a message:

"The home folder for user "bananas" is not located in the usual place or cannot be accessed.
    The home or users folder may have been moved or deleted. If the home folder is locatedon the network, the server may be unavailable temporarily."

Any ideas? The user can connect to the folder absolutely fine by using "Go --> Connect to Server" which is odd.
    I found this to be a permission problem on the home folders. I'm presuming your home folders on on your normal Windows box in a format that looks something like \\server\users\students\bananas
    \\server\users\teachers\bananas_teachers
    Then they need to be able to read the student level folder, not just bananas to allow it to mount it at login.
    I don't know why, or if this is the best way of doing it, but it seems to work.

Issue number 3:
    When the system boots up it takes it a brief moment to show the "Other..." user logon option. Then if I choose that to logon using an AD account it takes a few attempts (or a minute of waiting or so) before the user will authenticate properly.
    Using the managed preferences, just remove the Other and have only username and password showing. Then when the light goes green you are good to go.

Our Macs work well now, but it does take some tweaking to get right.

12. Thanks to Tricky_Dicky from:

pantscat (27th January 2011)

Thank Post
    @Tricky_Dicky - Ah! I did wonder if it was a permissions issue... but didn't really think too much about it. That makes sense now - I'll try it with a test user and report back.

Thanks - I'll try changing the logon box and see how it goes!

Have changed to "username and password" showing... but I can't see a green light... am I being dim?
    Last edited by pantscat; 27th January 2011 at 02:28 PM. Reason: Quick update...

Thank Post
    The green light: Can you see above the username and password boxes you probably have the machine name? If you click on it it will scroll through various pieces of information such as time and date, IP address and then network account status.

15. Thanks to Tricky_Dicky from:

pantscat (27th January 2011)

Thank Post
    I never knew that! Genius! I owe you a beer...

Is there a way to make it default to displaying the 'green light'?
    Last edited by pantscat; 27th January 2011 at 02:41 PM. Reason: ETA

Thank Post
    Lol, it's one of the very handy little tips that macs are full of but are a nightmare to find.

It will normally retain the one you last left it on.

Is everything else working now?

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast