+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Mac Thread, ipad on network in Technical; A quick one to chuck at Mac Fans out there - I know NOTHING about Apple and I don't want ...

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,069 Times in 625 Posts

ipad on network

A quick one to chuck at Mac Fans out there - I know NOTHING about Apple and I don't want to know anything about Apple stuff as I hate them.
    We have a teacher who got an ipad for Xmas - will it join our wireless network ? Will it hell - we have two Aurba 800's with AP60's scattered over the site.
    I have over 200 laptops connecting to this without a problem - the ipad gets an ip address, I can ping it, and then it drops - it goes through this all the time.
    Rang up Apple [ well the gap year student did ] and was told [ after much faffing around with the ipad ] that it must be a hardware compatablility problem with the ipad and our 'router' - yeah right.....
    We use WPA-PSK and TKIP encryption - anyone else experienced similar problems ?

As I said the ipad gets an IP address, sees both the DNS servers I setup but then proceeds to drop off the network. I have nix PCs on the wireless network [ various distros ] which have never had a problem and of course XP / Vista and Windows 7

Have to say when I do ping the ipad [ when it is on the network ] the TTL times can vary from 5ms to 2000ms !!!

Thank Post
    I have an Aruba 800 controller - can't remember what AP's we have off top of my head.

We have 2 IPAD's on our wireless network here (mine and the heads) and have only had 1 problem with it (similar to what you said).

Try soft reseting the IPAD (press the power button ontop and hold down home button) and try reconnecting.

Might also be worth changing the WKIP passphrase to itself on the aruba box and then re-connecting.

Jason

3. Thanks to Jaymate from:

mattx (17th January 2011)

That little bit in the middle of Little Old England
    Thank Post
    Thanked 1,345 Times in 743 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I think it may be to do with WPA-PSK and TKIP encryption as I use this at home and the moment there's a lot of wireless traffic the iPad starts stuttering. Believe it or not one of the recommendations I came across on the Apple site was to turn the screen brightness up to max as this may solve the issue.

I must admit that since the last ios software upgrade things have been a lot better. Is your user using the latest ios 4.2?

At school we use .11a with WEP (don't laugh - a certain well-known company who advertises on this site is responsible for managing it) and there's no problem when I use my iPad. We've got three more iPads on-site now so it'll be interesting to see how they fare when the kids start using them to stream iPlayer content.
    Last edited by tech_guy; 17th January 2011 at 06:08 PM.

5. Thanks to tech_guy from:

Thank Post
    Hi

The iPad does support WPA-PSK TKIP/AES and works with most WAPs/Routers/Firewalls. There must be something else going on? Possibly an ACL that queries the Computer Objects Container in AD? You may have to add the iPad's MAC address? Try changing to AES and see if that makes a difference? I've never heard of Aruba so it's possible there's another setting buried somewhere specific to the unit/manufacturer? Perhaps a call to the developer/manufacturer might get you somewhere?

It's your choice if you don't want to know anything about Apple but to say on a Public Forum like this you 'hate' them is irrational and childish. You're an adult, grow up and deal with it.

Antonio Rocco (ACSA)

7. Thanks to AntonioRocco from:

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaymate View Post
    I have an Aruba 800 controller - can't remember what AP's we have off top of my head.

We have 2 IPAD's on our wireless network here (mine and the heads) and have only had 1 problem with it (similar to what you said).

Try soft reseting the IPAD (press the power button ontop and hold down home button) and try reconnecting.

Might also be worth changing the WKIP passphrase to itself on the aruba box and then re-connecting.

Jason
    I don't really want to start re-setting any pass phrase as I already have 200 other laptops and devices on the wireless network. Another reason is I have two 800 controllers and over 20 APs - getting them to balance and to get APs reporting to the correct controller is a black art !!
    I'll certainly try and soft re-set and will see if that works.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by tech_guy View Post
    I think it may be to do with WPA-PSK and TKIP encryption as I use this at home and the moment there's a lot of wireless traffic the iPad starts stuttering. Believe it or not one of the recommendations I came across on the Apple site was to turn the screen brightness up to max as this may solve the issue.

I must admit that since the last ios software upgrade things have been a lot better. Is your user using the latest ios 4.2?

At school we use .11a with WEP (don't laugh - a certain well-known company who advertises on this site is responsible for managing it) and there's no problem when I use my iPad. We've got three more iPads on-site now so it'll be interesting to see how they fare when the kids start using them to stream iPlayer content.
    Not sure what ios is being used but will check - thanks for the heads up on that one. I'll also whack up the brightness to see what happens then. Interesting note about the traffic and the ipad stuttering because on looking at the TTL times this sort of indicates what is going on. The only other thing I have not done is given the ipad a static address - something else I may try.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,292 Times in 1,692 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by AntonioRocco View Post
    It's your choice if you don't want to know anything about Apple but to say on a Public Forum like this you 'hate' them is irrational and childish. You're an adult, grow up and deal with it.

Antonio Rocco (ACSA)
    Before the abuse starts flying, could I advise you to moderate your language. Us edugeek regulars are familar with mattx and his views on all things apple... it's become a running joke! I'm not saying this just to stick up for mattx... he fairly regularly gets himself into trouble for his ways, but he is a very regular poster and we know what to expect!

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Hi

The iPad does support WPA-PSK TKIP/AES and works with most WAPs/Routers/Firewalls. There must be something else going on? Possibly an ACL that queries the Computer Objects Container in AD? You may have to add the iPad's MAC address? Try changing to AES and see if that makes a difference? I've never heard of Aruba so it's possible there's another setting buried somewhere specific to the unit/manufacturer? Perhaps a call to the developer/manufacturer might get you somewhere?

Antonio Rocco (ACSA)
    Hey Matt,

I think you've just been hit with a handbag.

Thank Post
    Hi

Antonio Rocco (ACSA)
    I do hate them, and I am childish and very irrational. I'm certainly not an adult and don't ever intend on growing up or dealing with it.
    There is no authentication with the wireless on the AD side - everything is done via the two 800 controllers. I've kept our wireless simple for the very reason of getting devices on to it. My crappy Samsung phone can connect to it and that has a terrible OS. Why an ipad is having problems is to me [ and this is my own opinion ] laughable. But to me anything that has anything to do with any Apple product is laughable as it's all looks and no functionality. The person has to E-mail their photos to the ipad, there is no USB slot and no video out. Again my own opinion but to me it's nothing more than a glass coaster. I know Tech_Guy loves them, but everyone knows he is deeply in love with Steve Jobs and is actually donating part of his liver for him.

13. 4 Thanks to mattx:

AntonioRocco (17th January 2011), BatchFile (18th January 2011), elsiegee40 (17th January 2011), tech_guy (17th January 2011)

Thank Post
    Hey Matt,

I think you've just been hit with a handbag.
    Oooooo get you.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by elsiegee40 View Post
    Before the abuse starts flying, could I advise you to moderate your language. Us edugeek regulars are familar with mattx and his views on all things apple... it's become a running joke! I'm not saying this just to stick up for mattx... he fairly regularly gets himself into trouble for his ways, but he is a very regular poster and we know what to expect!
    Don't worry, I'm quite thick skinned - both my kids constantly tell me how childish I am......

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    I don't think Steve Jobs would want part of my liver - it's been pickled in Jack Daniels. He's got £500 of mine, isn't that enough?

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,292 Times in 1,692 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mattx View Post
    Don't worry, I'm quite thick skinned - both my kids constantly tell me how childish I am......
    I'm well aware of that

It's impossible to please your own kids... my youngest thinks you're the best thing since sliced bread for sorting out which cables he needed for his xBox and wii...

Me? I'm just his mother! I don't know anything useful EVER * insert slammed door, sulk, etc *

Thank Post
    I don't think Steve Jobs would want part of my liver - it's been pickled in Jack Daniels. He's got £500 of mine, isn't that enough?
    And all those bodily fluids you have swapped. You really make me sick Tech_Guy - just the thought of you and him and even giving him money is enough to turn my stomach.
    BTW - if the screen brightness thing works I will give my eyes to Stevie wonder.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,246 Times in 1,030 Posts
    Blog Entries
    He may want his money back: BBC News - Apple boss Steve Jobs takes 'medical leave'

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast