+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Mac Thread, ipad on network in Technical; Have you seen Stevie Wonder's wife?...

That little bit in the middle of Little Old England
    Thank Post
    Thanked 1,343 Times in 742 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Have you seen Stevie Wonder's wife?

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Dos_Box View Post
    I told him at the time it was a big mistake but he wouldn't listen. Still, I got to fly in his private jet and puke in his swimming pool.

Thank Post
    Hi mattx

LOL! Fair comment and I agree with a lot of what you say. I was not trying to start a flamed thread or throw abuse either. I was trying to help. When consulting with Educational sites looking at Apple hardware for the first time, the first thing I always ask is: "What do you think these things are going to give you that you can't already achieve with what you already have at half the cost?" Most of the time the answer is "I haven't a clue but they look nice". Once you go beyond the looks, there is actually something worthwhile there. If you can be bothered to look? You may not agree with it but Apple do seem to provide what most people seem to want? Form with Function. It can't more than coincidence that many other manufacturers copy what Apple start. It can't all be rubbish - can it?

I hope you find a solution but it does seem odd you're having a problem as all of the sites I support that use iPads have little or no problems connecting wirelessly to a wide variety of devices.

Sorry I could not help.

Antonio Rocco (ACSA)

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,068 Times in 625 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tech_guy View Post
    Have you seen Stevie Wonder's wife?
    Nope, he hasn't either.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Tsh, boom...!

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by AntonioRocco View Post
    Hi mattx

LOL! Fair comment and I agree with a lot of what you say. I was not trying to start a flamed thread or throw abuse either. I was trying to help. When consulting with Educational sites looking at Apple hardware for the first time, the first thing I always ask is: "What do you think these things are going to give you that you can't already achieve with what you already have at half the cost?" Most of the time the answer is "I haven't a clue but they look nice". Once you go beyond the looks, there is actually something worthwhile there. If you can be bothered to look? You may not agree with it but Apple do seem to provide what most people seem to want? Form with Function. It can't more than coincidence that many other manufacturers copy what Apple start. It can't all be rubbish - can it?

I hope you find a solution but it does seem odd you're having a problem as all of the sites I support that use iPads have little or no problems connecting wirelessly to a wide variety of devices.

Sorry I could not help.

Antonio Rocco (ACSA)
    Hey don't worry - you were not chucking abuse at all - even if you were it's water off a ducks back to me. And you never know you may have helped as I will be checking AD OUs in the morning to see if anything weird is going on.

7. Thanks to mattx from:

AntonioRocco (17th January 2011)

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,781 Times in 1,105 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Similar probs that moving them to 4.2 fixed ... but is a bit flaky on 4.2.1 ... hopefully trying 4.3 soon.

9. Thanks to GrumbleDook from:

mattx (18th January 2011)

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,675 Times in 2,269 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Just another thought, have you tried checking for any firmware updates for the wireless controller. It maybe worth updating it if there is. Also tkip is probably something you want to look at changing in future as it is outside the WPA spec and much less secure than AES.

There's also the option of just leaving it as it is not school harware and as such their problem tatthey did not buy compatible hardware.

11. Thanks to SYNACK from:

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by SYNACK View Post
    Just another thought, have you tried checking for any firmware updates for the wireless controller. It maybe worth updating it if there is. Also tkip is probably something you want to look at changing in future as it is outside the WPA spec and much less secure than AES.

There's also the option of just leaving it as it is not school harware and as such their problem tatthey did not buy compatible hardware.
    Both controllers have the latest firmware - so no problems there - in regards to encryption then this is something that will be changed when we move over to N - I don't think our APs and controllers can be up-dated to N so it may mean a whole new setup.
    And I totally agree in regards to the fact that the equipment has nothing to do with the school and because staff and even some students are bringing in equipment I have stated a proper procedure be put in place and a VLAN for 'outside' equipment. I certainly don't want any device riddled with illegal music / movies, viruses and hacking tools near our network.
    People expect their kit just to work but when I explain that it's a bit more complex than that and pass on the article written the other day about why the network is not the same as your home's, then sometimes they understand, but the majority of the time they don't.

Thank Post
    Hi mattx

"in regards to encryption then this is something that will be changed when we move over to N"

This may well be where the problems lies? There were issues with the latest N capable offering from Apple with older G-rated WAPs. It seems WPA-PSK TKIP/AES on a G-rated WAP is not quite the same as WPA-PSK TKIP/AES on an N-rated one. Even this can vary from Manufacturer to Manufacturer notwithstanding they should all be using the same RFC. The iPad Forum over on Apple's Support site may help?

Apple - Support - Discussions - Wifi doesn't stay connected ...
    Apple - Support - Discussions - Cannot join network ...
    Apple - Support - Discussions - wifi problem with version 4 on iPad and ...
    Apple - Support - Discussions - iPad connects to WPA2 but not to WPA ??? ...
    Apple - Support - Discussions - Cannot connect to WLAN ...
    Apple - Support - Discussions - I think the wi fi is fixed ...

Most if not all of the above list issues not really specific to your environment. I list them only to offer you a possible insight into tracking down your specific problem.

"People expect their kit just to work. But when I explain it's a bit more complex than that and pass on the article written the other day, about why the network is not the same as your's at home, then sometimes they understand. But the majority of the time they don't."

Absolutely!

HTH?

Antonio Rocco (ACSA)

14. Thanks to AntonioRocco from:

Thank Post
    Thanks for those links - I'll be going through them when I get some spare time.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12