+ Post New Thread
Mac Thread, LGfL Mail and Macs! in Technical; Is there anyone who has managed to get the new Staffmail system being implemented by LGfL on Mac Mail? It's ...
    CAM

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

LGfL Mail and Macs!

Is there anyone who has managed to get the new Staffmail system being implemented by LGfL on Mac Mail? It's Exchange based and I have a teacher running OSX Leopard (not Snow Leopard) but we cannot get it to connect to the server.

What do we have to put in the boxes to make it work with a Mac? Seems to work in Outlook 2007 on Windows XP perfectly so it's a configuration setting we are messing up. Though I was trying to copy the settings from my success in Outlook into Mac Mail and it didn't work.

hey hey hey, stay outta my shed. STAY OUT OF MY SHED.
    Thank Post
    IIRC Snow Leopard had the first version of mail.app that supported Exchange. You need to upgrade to Snow Leopard, or use Outlook from the new version of Office for the Mac.

3. Thanks to Roberto from:

CAM (16th December 2010)

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,030 Times in 955 Posts
    Connecting Apple Mail (on OSX 10.5) to Exchange 2003 - Smallbizserver.Net - Small Business Server Support Forum - English - Microsoft Small Business Server 2003 & 2000 - How do I setup my Apple Macintosh

Take a look at Chapter 17 of the SBS 2003 Unleashed book for more detail about what I'm sharing here. MacMail does NOT have true Exchange connectivity, even though one of the options for mail server is "Exchange." Mac Mail can only make POP3 or IMAP connections to mail servers, and the Exchange option in MacMail assumes an IMAP connection to the Exchange server.

By default, IMAP and POP3 are not configured in SBS 2003.

You have two options:
    1. Enable the IMAP service in Exchange and configure MacMail to use that.
    2. Get a copy of Entourage from Office 2004 or Office 2008 and connect to Exchange with that.

Unless the Mac user specifically does NOT want to get to his calendar or contact information in Exchange, I would strongly recommend using Entourage instead of MacMail.

Information about configuring Entourage 2004 to connect to SBS can be found in the SBS 2003 Unleashed book, but can also be found at http://simultaneouspancakes.com/Les...sbs-2003/, which is actually a little more up to date than the information in the book.

With it being SBS not sure if this helps or not - I will have a look around and see if I can find anything

Can you post details on server OS that exchange is sitting on and what version of exchange ( think you said 2003 )
    Last edited by mac_shinobi; 17th December 2010 at 07:21 AM.

5. Thanks to mac_shinobi from:

CAM (17th December 2010)

CAM

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    I don't control the system, LGfL does. So I have no idea what version of Exchange unfortunately.

I've told the teacher in question that she will need to use Snow Leopard or to grab a copy of Office to use Outlook (is that Entourage?)

Thanks guys.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,030 Times in 955 Posts
    Microsoft Entourage - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

what version of office are you intending on getting for the mac, Snow Leopard will be the cheaper option

25 for snow leopard vs MS Office , unless you can get MS Office for mac through edu pricing or something ?
    Last edited by mac_shinobi; 17th December 2010 at 01:49 PM.

CAM

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    TBH, the teacher knows more about Macs then I do. I haven't a clue where OSX and Office are at on that platform. It's her own Macbook and word soon spread and half the department bought one for themselves. Those things are infectious.

hey hey hey, stay outta my shed. STAY OUT OF MY SHED.
    Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by CAM View Post
    I don't control the system, LGfL does. So I have no idea what version of Exchange unfortunately.

I've told the teacher in question that she will need to use Snow Leopard or to grab a copy of Office to use Outlook (is that Entourage?)

Thanks guys.
    No, on the newest version of office for the mac, Outlook is Outlook and Entourage is in the bin where it bloody well belongs.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread