+ Post New Thread
Mac Thread, Installing ActiveInspire on a Mac. in Technical; Bear with me, for I'm an utter and complete n00b with regards to Macs. Personal preferances aside, tomorrow I've been ...
    Thank Post

Installing ActiveInspire on a Mac.

Bear with me, for I'm an utter and complete n00b with regards to Macs.

Personal preferances aside, tomorrow I've been asked to "assist" with getting one of our Promethean Boards working with a Macbook. I've got the software and that's about it.

- Does a Mac need drivers installing? How do you do it?
    - How do you even install programmes?
    - There's no tray icon, per se, so how do you calibrate it?

For something like this I expect it will take a long time to learn and get right and I expect you may say "get someone who knows what they are doing" but for details I'm not going to go into I'm pretty much on my own1 as none of the IT team are mac-compatible.

1: Well, me, the internet, and the teacher than wants it done.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Yes, there is a driver that needs installing but it's part of the bundle that you download from the Promethean website, just like with the Windows version. There isn't a tray in OS X but there is a similar notification area in the top right corner which holds tray-like icons which perform a similar purpose, I think that ActivInspire puts an icon there.

There are two ways to install software on a Mac - either drag and drop the application bundle to the Applications folder or (As is it with ActivInspire) run the included installer. It's no harder on a Mac than it is on Windows. Even if you have no experience with a Mac whatsoever, I would be incredibly surprised if this takes you more than half an hour to do.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,123 Times in 1,025 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Norphy View Post
    Yes, there is a driver that needs installing but it's part of the bundle that you download from the Promethean website, just like with the Windows version. There isn't a tray in OS X but there is a similar notification area in the top right corner which holds tray-like icons which perform a similar purpose, I think that ActivInspire puts an icon there.

There are two ways to install software on a Mac - either drag and drop the application bundle to the Applications folder or (As is it with ActivInspire) run the included installer. It's no harder on a Mac than it is on Windows. Even if you have no experience with a Mac whatsoever, I would be incredibly surprised if this takes you more than half an hour to do.
    agreed - normally Ive found driver packages you either normally double click on to install which will run a wizard that will copy the driver package to the relevant library directory or you have to copy it to the library directory ( the read me should walk you through the process if this is required )

But otherwise its just a case of double clicking the DMG and drag the app to the applications folder or if it gives you a PKG then double click on the PKG which will walk you through a wizard

So fairly straight forward - would of thought that the people who make this would have a walk through on there website or a number to call for someone to walk you through it if you get stuck or it doesnt work as expected

Thank Post
    Download ActivInspire.
    If the dmg doesn't mount automatically double click it to mount it.
    Install ActivInspire go through the installation wizard.
    Install the ActivDriver. Go through the installation wizard. Restart when asked.

you should get the ActiveDriver menu panel in the area next to the clock in the top-right corner.

I think there is also a system pref added.

ActivInspire and the driver can also be deployed using ARD if there is more than one client.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by HodgeHi View Post
    Download ActivInspire.
    If the dmg doesn't mount automatically double click it to mount it.
    Install ActivInspire go through the installation wizard.
    Install the ActivDriver. Go through the installation wizard. Restart when asked.

you should get the ActiveDriver menu panel in the area next to the clock in the top-right corner.

I think there is also a system pref added.

ActivInspire and the driver can also be deployed using ARD if there is more than one client.
    It goes a little something like this

YouTube - Installing ActivInspire Mac for Virtual Manipulatives by ETA/Cuisenaire

Thank Post
    Thanks for the YouTube link.

Before last month I didn't know what a pkg or dmg was, I'm guessing it's the Apple equivalent of a .exe? And ARD? Let#'s not run before we can walk :P

Thank Post
    ARD = apple remote desktop

Basically remote control software that is very handy to have with apple macs as it allows you to push out software / apps, remote control the macs etc etc

DMG = disk image which afaik is like an ISO file but on OS X you can double click a disc image whether it's ISO, DMG to mount it on the desktop and in the finder side bar to allow you to copy the app Yo the apps folder or to run / install a file ie pkg ( package ) installer which again would be similar to an exe / msi

Am not sure what other disk ( disc ) image formats OS X or more specifically disk utility ( Macintosh HD\Applications\Utilities\Disk Utility.app ) will support

Correct me if I'm wrong
    Last edited by mac_shinobi; 2nd December 2010 at 01:23 PM.

Thank Post
    Disk util allows for encrypted dmgs, read only dmgs, read/write dmgs at a pre defined size. You can create dmgs from files/folders to compress them. DMG is probably more like zip.

A very useful feature of dmgs is that you can create a dmg from A DVD /CD and install the OS from it. Just pop it onto an iPod or external HDD and connect it to a client. Mount the dmg and then run the installation. It should then restart the client and mount the dmg from the external drive and install the OS. Not too sure if this is still allowed as the last time I tried it wouldn't work. 10.6 this was.

Another type is CDR. This is creating a read only image of a DVD/CD similar to an ISO. In fact so similar that it is indeed possible to rename and CDR image with an ISO extension. Useful to know as most VM software uses ISOs instead of the CDR format.

Slightly off topic though.

My advice for the OP is perhaps to check out the mac tutorial vids.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by HodgeHi View Post
    Disk util allows for encrypted dmgs, read only dmgs, read/write dmgs at a pre defined size. You can create dmgs from files/folders to compress them. DMG is probably more like zip.

A very useful feature of dmgs is that you can create a dmg from A DVD /CD and install the OS from it. Just pop it onto an iPod or external HDD and connect it to a client. Mount the dmg and then run the installation. It should then restart the client and mount the dmg from the external drive and install the OS. Not too sure if this is still allowed as the last time I tried it wouldn't work. 10.6 this was.

Another type is CDR. This is creating a read only image of a DVD/CD similar to an ISO. In fact so similar that it is indeed possible to rename and CDR image with an ISO extension. Useful to know as most VM software uses ISOs instead of the CDR format.

Slightly off topic though.

My advice for the OP is perhaps to check out the mac tutorial vids.
    Both right and wrong

Apple Disk Image - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Apple Disk Image ( DMG ) can be converted to ISO and uses a bzip2 ( Zip ) like algorhythem to compress itself so a combination between an ISO and a ZIP file as it compresses the data into a disk image.

As per the title ( it is an apple disk image ) as apposed to an ISO, CDR etc

CDR you just rename / change the file type from CDR to ISO and it can be used as you describe on VM software ( vmware fusion, parallels , etc ) without any requirements to convert the file format etc.

Anyway would be good to get feedback to see how the user ( OP ) is getting on with the installation etc ?

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread