+ Post New Thread
Mac Thread, AdmitMAC vs LikeWise in Technical; We are going to be setting our macs up to authenticate against AD in the summer (january) Currently looking at ...

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

AdmitMAC vs LikeWise

We are going to be setting our macs up to authenticate against AD in the summer (january)

Currently looking at AdminMAC which seems to be good, but found out about Likewise Open Source Software that Authenticates Linux, Unix, and Mac systems with Microsoft Active Directory today..

Cant seem to find if the latter does Network Drive mapping? It works well with AdmitMAC but if LikeWise can do it we'll use that!

Thank Post
    I tested LikeWise before and just downloaded the recent version now to test & there still is no advantage of using Likewise over the built in AD Plug'n utility of OS X. I use Deploy Studio to do all my binding when pushing out images which uses the built in utility of OS X. Likewise does the exact same thing. I wouldn't bother using it personally, just something else that's installed that's not needed.

my $0.02

Thank Post
    I would agree with carter. I've never used either Likewise or AdmitMac. The reason for this is AdmitMac costs money (a fair bit of it) and Likewise if Carter is correct isn't needed. Why add a level of complexity to something that is already there. The only one I think would be beneficial is perhaps the ExtremeZ-IP which apparently allows for use of DFS shares for mac home dirs.

AdmitMac allows for simple administration through group policy as far as I'm aware but if you already have an OS X Server then this may just be additional cost for no reason. AdmitMac also replaces the AD Plugin that is built into OS X. It's a complete system from client to server.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Didnt realise there was that functionality built into MAC OSX. We have a mac server we are planning to use the polices on for locking down the macs too.

Can you map all the network shares and stuff automatically at login with just the biult in Mac thing?

Thank Post
    ^ Yes. With deploy studio and the built in tools the only thing we have found to be an issue is DFS. This is a major issue for us as the cost of ExtremeZ-IP is beyond extortionate!

Thank Post
    Once nice feature about LikeWise is it allows cached credentials...that is nice considering the built in ability to join AD does not support or create cached credentials. This would be good for joining mac laptops to the AD domain.

Thank Post
    @qcomer

Assuming I've understood what you mean by 'cached credentials' that's not strictly true. The built-in Active Directory plug-in allows the creation of a locally cached home folder. Either as a mobile account (ideal for laptops or workstations that can move from network to network) or by forcing the creation of a local home folder - similar in some ways to the mobile account option. There is still a further 3rd option depending on how you've configured the home folder path variable in Active Directory. None of these require anything 3rd-Party.

The point about Active Directory environment utilising Distributed File Services is a good one. When developing 10.6 Apple 'touted' DFS/ZFS support as being a feature. It never materialised. Perhaps we may see it in 10.7?

Extemez-IP is indeed extremely expensive but if your mac takeup is a large one then the cost is justified. If your mac takeup is minimal the latest version of AdmitMac (v5) does support it. The cost of it then becomes realistic although still exorbitant when you factor in the cost of the mac hardware in the first place.

Another way of looking at this is to ask yourself what is it that the platform is going to give you that you can't already do or possibly achieve using what you already have? If the answer is nothing, stick with what you have. All too often macs are purchased on a whim or because there's a perception it's all there is. That is not necessarily so. Having said that the platform stacks up pretty well in my view taking all things into consideration. Assuming the AD environment has been configured appropriately it's an opportunity to show students and others how computers can be made to work effectively in a non-Microsoft way. Choice and an alternative way at looking at things are beneficial to all ultimately.

My 2p.

Antonio Rocco (ACSA)

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,442 Times in 1,890 Posts
    Blog Entries
    There's info in this file about integrating Open Directory and Active Directory - look at page 157 for a start.

Open_Directory_Admin_v10.6.pdf

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread