+ Post New Thread
Mac Thread, Macs losing WGM settings when network cable is unplugged in Technical; First off, I'm a long time reader of edugeek(you all are awesome and have helped me out tremendously), but recently ...

Thank Post

Macs losing WGM settings when network cable is unplugged

First off, I'm a long time reader of edugeek(you all are awesome and have helped me out tremendously), but recently muscled up and joined. I'm still a novice in the Mac world and I am looking for some assistance.

Secondly (my issue), we currently have a lab of iMacs, most of them running 10.5 and a small portion running 10.6. We have all of the settings managed through Workgroup Manager through our district Mac server. The iMacs running 10.5 have no issues, they abide by all of the settings pushed to them, i.e. proxies, application restrictions, etc. However, the newer iMacs running 10.6 take the same settings upon login, but if the network cable is unplugged for about 10 seconds and re-plugged in, the locked down accounts now have full access to the computer. It's as if it loses its settings when the cable is unplugged. The students can then visit whatever sites they want, they have access to applications that were previously restricted, and they have access to System Preferences.

The same does not happen on the 10.5 machines. If their network cables are unplugged and plugged back in, they retain all of their managed settings.

I'm at a loss for what could be done to correct this on the newer machines, but it is a big security risk at this point. I appreciate any assistance you all could provide.

Thank Post
    Upgrade to 10.6.5 that has just been release. An issue has been resolved where WGM settings can be lost.

Thank Post
    I was able to update to 10.6.5 on the machines that were running 10.6.4, but I'm unfortunately still receiving the problem. After disconnecting the ethernet cable for about 10 seconds, full access is given to the computer.

Thank Post
    For anyone having this issue, it is known by Apple, but there is no official fix.

It is related to having Snow Leopard managed mobile accounts that lose their managed settings when disconnecting from the network. Unfortunately, after scouring the internet and trying many different things, nothing would make the setting stick. No matter what the Library/Managed Preferences user folder starts out with 10-15 plist files, but after about 10-15 seconds of being disconnected, it removes most of them leaving only about 6.

I found a semi-workaround until an official fix is released. I have created a custom user template with the student proxy settings already set so it will retain them even if the computer is disconnected. For the applications, I manually changed the permissions to Everyone > No Access and Admin and Staff > Read & Write.

Thank Post
    Mm. Interesting stuff. Is this direct from apple stating it's a known issue?
    Just a thought but what would a redirect do to the managed preferences? Not sure how they work but it may help to redirect to a local folder. Dunno?

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread