+ Post New Thread
Mac Thread, Help! Network user accounts and local applications in Technical; Hi All, We have an Xserve running open directory which has all the user accounts in. Previosly users have been ...

Thank Post

Help! Network user accounts and local applications

Hi All,

We have an Xserve running open directory which has all the user accounts in. Previosly users have been logging into their macs with local accounts, and accessing the xserve via go> connect to server.

I wanted all users to log into the Macs with their network user accounts. The users backed up their local work, and i deleted the local accounts. I then bound the clients to the domain, and tested logging in with network users.

The strange thing is that when you are logged in with a network user, they cannot open programs like Indesign or Photoshop CS4. The icon bounces for a bit, then just closes. Also applications like Garageband and iPhoto has gone missing. They have a question mark in the Dock, and are not in the /applications folder.

Any help would be much appreciated!!

Matt

Thank Post
    Are you using Workgroup Manager, if so, have you allowed these applications through Workgroup Manager?

Thank Post
    Yes i am using workgroup manager, and i have it set so that it is not managed by Workgroup Manager. Thats how i understand it anyway, unless i am missing something??

Thank Post
    You may need to do something with the permissions for the applications before they will work with networked user accounts. Check the permissions on the root of the applications folder and then check them on the apps you copied over or installed.

I usually ran the chmod 755 on /Applications on all clients using ARD. This propagated the permissions through the applications. after this they generally tended to work.

Check the Console logs you may see entries against the application you tried to open with a permission denied error. If so then this may help resolve your problem. It helped me with mine.Application restriction wasn't the issue with mine either. All apps in the application folder were allowed. Any other items copied over using ARD (I always used ARD) or perhaps manually will need their permissions changed as well. i.e. desktop wallpapers, plist files, license files.

Thank Post
    Many OSX applications placed in /Applications folder relay on access to /Library/Application Support folder - therefore allowing /Applications/Aplication name to be run might not be enough if user doesn't have access to /Library/Application support folder. Try to give your users permissions to access /Library/Application Supports/Adobe folder. Hopefully it should help.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread