+ Post New Thread
Mac Thread, Rebuild Mac OSX but keep bootcamp install in Technical; Hi Just considering how I would do it so I thought this would be a good place to ask. I ...

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,329 Times in 809 Posts
    Blog Entries

Rebuild Mac OSX but keep bootcamp install

Hi
    Just considering how I would do it so I thought this would be a good place to ask.
    I have OSX and bootcamp working well but what would be the procedure to reinstall osx AND not lose/wipe my bootcamp windows.
    I have never reinstall a mac so everything is new to me so I dont know if I would get the option to pick only the mac partitions and leave the rest.
    Would osx just pick up the fact boot camp is there after the wipe or?

Any help would be appreciated. I am not wiping my mac yet but I was curios to know my options.

Cheers

Thank Post
    Very simple. Boot from your OS disc by hold down the "C" key. Once booted go to the menubar and select Utilities & select Disk Utility. Here you should be able to select the partition you have OS X on. Erase the drive then exit Disk Utility. Next just continue the on screen instructions and when asked which partition to instal on just select your Mac OS X drive and not the bootcamp drive.

Oh ya, the instruction are for doing a complete wipe with Snow Leopard OS 10.6 as it will not ask you to erase a drive, just an upgrade. If you are using Leopard when you select the partition you want to install on there is an advanced option to erase the drive but this is not in Snow Leopard. Do the Disk Utility way first if using Snow Leopard.

3. Thanks to Carter from:

ZeroHour (19th March 2013)

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,329 Times in 809 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Carter View Post
    Very simple. Boot from your OS disc by hold down the "C" key. Once booted go to the menubar and select Utilities & select Disk Utility. Here you should be able to select the partition you have OS X on. Erase the drive then exit Disk Utility. Next just continue the on screen instructions and when asked which partition to instal on just select your Mac OS X drive and not the bootcamp drive.

Oh ya, the instruction are for doing a complete wipe with Snow Leopard OS 10.6 as it will not ask you to erase a drive, just an upgrade. If you are using Leopard when you select the partition you want to install on there is an advanced option to erase the drive but this is not in Snow Leopard. Do the Disk Utility way first if using Snow Leopard.

Hi
    So just to clarify, when running Snow Leopard (as I have), boot from the cd by holding down "c" then use Utilities->Disk Utility to clear the relevant osx partition then exit the disk utility to continue to install OSX?

Cheers for the info.

Thank Post
    That's correct. In disk utility you will see your hd and the two partitions. One being you mac is and one bootcamp/windows. Select the mac partition and do an erase. Don't use the partition tab as that will format the entire drive. The erase tab will let u format just the one partition. Next just quit disk utility then continue the install and select the mac partition when asked.

6. Thanks to Carter from:

ZeroHour (19th March 2013)

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,054 Times in 975 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Carter View Post
    That's correct. In disk utility you will see your hd and the two partitions. One being you mac is and one bootcamp/windows. Select the mac partition and do an erase. Don't use the partition tab as that will format the entire drive. The erase tab will let u format just the one partition. Next just quit disk utility then continue the install and select the mac partition when asked.
    Once OS X is re installed do you have to do anything with the recovery console on the windows side to rebuild the boot.ini file or similiar like you would if you had a dual boot pc with linux and windows and wipe the linux partition and re install linux and then do all the stuff to get it to recognise and be able to boot from windows using the windows boot menu or any of that or does that not matter when dual booting with OS X ??

Thank Post
    You won't need to do anything on the bootcamp side as it's not being touched. The only thing is that if u are using something like boot picked which sits on the mac partition u will need to reinstall. If u don't have somehing like that hen your all set to go.

9. Thanks to Carter from:

mac_shinobi (27th October 2010)

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,054 Times in 975 Posts
    good to know - thanks Had windows boot camped but never tested it

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread