+ Post New Thread
Mac Thread, iLife Licensing in Technical; I've been trying to order an iLife media kit, and our supplier is claiming we must have a license key ...
    Thank Post

iLife Licensing

I've been trying to order an iLife media kit, and our supplier is claiming we must have a license key to be able to do this. The problem is the reason I'm trying to order the media kit is because iLife wasn't included in my image which was pushed out to all the Macs.

I'm not getting nervous that I might have to order a whole lot of iLife licenses.

Am I right in thinking iLife licenses is attached to each Mac you buy as long as the Mac comes with iLife in the first place?

Thanks

Thank Post
    First, you are talking about iLife & not iWorks?

Yes this is correct. "iLife" comes with each Mac. Now that being said, in order for you to now install it onto each computer, technically you can only install the same version of iLife that came with the computer when it arrived.

So if you recently bought new computers they would have had an image installed with iLife 09. If they came with iLife 08 pre installed then what the shop maybe saying is that you can not install iLife 09.

I had this issue last year. I forgot about install iLife. I had to go out & buy the disc then installed it on all the computers that had come with iLife 09.

3. Thanks to Carter from:

rolfea (14th October 2010)

Thank Post
    I will double check each machine before installing. Thanks

Thank Post
    The free version of iLife you get when you buy a new Mac is exactly the same as the current licensed version. However, if a newer version comes out you are not automatically entitled to use it. If that were true, Apple wouldn't sell iLife, because everyone would be entitled to it So assuming you already have iLife 09 on all your Macs: The installer DVDs you get with a new Mac do contain the installer packages for iLife, but they are a bit buried in the whole installer suite. Use a free (donationware or shareware) application like Pacify to find the ones you want. However, if you do want to buy an installer, what you have been told is technically true. Under Apple's EULA you can't buy an installer without owning the relevant licence. I fully understand that all you want is the 10 installer, and that you don't want or need the minimum of 10 licences to go with it if you already have Macs with iLife 09 on them. Here's a hint though. A single user iLife box does contain an installer disk. I'm sorry I can't be more specific but I hope you understand.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread