+ Post New Thread
Mac Thread, OWC Order in Technical; Looking at buying 2 items from OWC ( Performance Upgrades; FireWire USB SATA Storage; Memory, more at OWC ) as ...

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,045 Times in 967 Posts

OWC Order

Looking at buying 2 items from OWC ( Performance Upgrades; FireWire USB SATA Storage; Memory, more at OWC ) as they deliver to the UK ( if I recall correctly ) , yes I will get charged most likely for importation or the likes which will make it more or less the same.

1. Will the RAM be compatible with the 2008 mac pro - I presume it will be but just wanted to double check ??

2. So far SSD wise ( yes I know it is SATA 2 and not 3, was contemplating SATA 3 ( 6Gbps ) but that would mean

A - I would need to find a decent SSD that was SATA 3 which aside from the crucial C300 isn't much and in comparing the Crucial C300 to the OWC Mercury Pro RE was pants. I would also require a SATA 3 ( 6gbps ) PCI Express card.

Macintosh Performance Guide: Special Report? Real World SSD Performance ? OWC Mercury Extreme vs Crucial RealSSD Severe Duty Test

Am not ready just this second but will be around the start of January time

Thank Post
    The Mac Pro which Apple introduced in January 2008 goes under the Apple Id "Mac Pro (early 2008)" and machine ID MacPro3,1
    That type takes matched pairs of 240 pin PC2-6400 800MHz EXX Dimms. Newer models take 1066 or 1333 MHz but the ones you want are easy enough to find. OWC don't seem particularly cheap, I have to say. We sell Kingston RAM here and it's about the same. SSD still feels like a technology which isn't quite ready yet, doesn't it?

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,045 Times in 967 Posts
    When I purchase I need to or hopefully try to ( unless you or someone else has a suggestion ) to purchase from one place.

In the new year I will be making a reasonable order for my Mac along with other things and reading around on reviews the OWC SSD seems pretty good - not sure weather to just get a 300Gb Raptor for now and wait for SSD to mature a bit or to go with the OWC SSD Mercury extreme Pro ( RE ) ??

Also with ref to my RAM question it was more in regards to being compatable as the OWC RAM is from the USA and I know voltages between the USA and UK at least on mains 240 vs 120 ac and just wanted to be sure that the USA OWC RAM would be fine in my UK 2008 early mac pro which as you say is PC2 6400 800mhz EXX buffered dimms.

Got to go now

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread