+ Post New Thread
Mac Thread, Workgroup Manager permission effecting iMovie 09 capturing. in Technical; Hello all, Firstly I'd like to say hi, this is my first post on here and I'm hoping I've come ...

Thank Post

Workgroup Manager permission effecting iMovie 09 capturing.

Hello all,

Firstly I'd like to say hi, this is my first post on here and I'm hoping I've come to the right place.

I'm a IT technician at a school in Birmingham, UK and we have recently installed a suite of iMacs( 21.5 inch 3.06 Ghz), with a Mac Pro server (2.66 Ghz quad core). Although I've been a personal Mac user for many years now, I've never had to Administer Macs before in a schooling environment.

I've been getting to grips with Workgroup Manager, setting up user accounts and the likes, however I've come across a problem with iMovie when users attempt to capture footage.

When a user is logged on to a computer and the try to capture footage using the inbuilt webcam I keep getting an error saying

"The import was canceled. You may not have permission to write to /iMovie Events.localized."

I don't know, but I'm guessing this is something to do with inherited permissions from Workgroup Manager, if some one could offer any advice or point me in the right direction it would be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks,

James

Thank Post
    James,
    The directions below provided me with the info I needed to get iMovie working with networked user accounts. Hope this helps you. I couldn't post the link due to this being my first post... Sorry.

I usually make the folder locally on each machine - the following commands should do the trick

mkdir /iMovie\ Events.localized
    chown root:admin /iMovie\ Events.localized
    chmod 1777 /iMovie\ Events.localized

All users will be able to write and edit the contents of the folder but not delete the folder itself. We're not overly concerned with the security of the contents of this folder (if need be users are reminded to move their info someplace else after its imported) so we don't normally take any precautions beyond this. In fact the contents of this folder are regularly purged, via a login/logout hook if need be.

Using ARD's send unix feature these commands can be easily sent to all your machines at once.

Regards,
    Dave

Thank Post
    Hi James and welcome along,

The easiest way I've found is the first time a user goes to use iMovie if they just got to their home directory, right click and create new folder called Movies and that will sort it. It should inherit the permissions from the containing folder and so you won't need to modify anything.

Rich
    (fellow BGFL sufferer)

Thank Post
    i had this issue last year and the answer is to have a local 'iMovie Events' folder with permissions for everyone on each machine, this can be done through ARD as stated before.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread