+ Post New Thread
Mac Thread, Reliable Backup software for MAC. What are you using? in Technical; Hi All We currently use Retrospect 8 to backup our Mac student and staff areas, this is backed up from ...
    Thank Post

Reliable Backup software for MAC. What are you using?

Hi All

We currently use Retrospect 8 to backup our Mac student and staff areas, this is backed up from our AppleXRAID and the backup destinations are on 2 separate NAS boxes.

I have never been a big fan of Retrospect since we purchased it, I did manage to get it working, did a test restore and it was working quite well but since the latter upgrades the software in my opinion has got worse, has caused issues on the server and to top it off I have been unable to do restore when I have needed to.

I have now completely lost confidence in the software, and from looking at the Retrospect forums I have learned it has been brought out by different companies, originally with DANTZ, then sold to EMC and recently it was sold to ROXIO and from the dantz forums others users are having similar issues, not getting decent responses and eventually giving up on the software.

So I wanted to get other peoples opinions on backup software for MAC. I need something reliable, I need to be able to do scheduled backups, with maybe a full backup once a week with incremental or differencials or even snapshotting data. At the moment I am not completly convinced with my backup strategy so am looking at options.

I have been recommended the following, does anyone use these, if so would you recommend, have you successfully managed to restore data using these tools, are they fairly easy to pick up?

The ones I am investigating to replace from Retrospect are:

Prestore Backup
    Some GUI form of RSYNC
    BakBone Netvault

I have used Tolis, superduper and Carbon copy cloner but require something a bit more intelligent and ideally something which uses better compression techniques. Alternatively I have heard replication software like Rsync might be a better option but I need to be able to go back to at least a month recovery.

Any suggestions?

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,192 Times in 1,006 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I used to use Retrospect with Server 2008 and Exchnage and never had a problem with it. In fact it was superior in many ways to other products out there. Shame to hear it's been sold on again and is haing problems. It was great for restoring Exchnage mailboxes and individual emails, the proactive backup feature was a great time saver as well.

Thank Post
    I have a few listed on my website FreeMacApps.com for Backup & Restore Utilities. I use at work both "SilverKeeper" for it's simplicity & "Intego Backup" for a few more options.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Dos_Box View Post
    I used to use Retrospect with Server 2008 and Exchnage and never had a problem with it. In fact it was superior in many ways to other products out there. Shame to hear it's been sold on again and is haing problems. It was great for restoring Exchnage mailboxes and individual emails, the proactive backup feature was a great time saver as well.
    Oh I have heard good things for Retrospect on Windows. On MAC on the other hand its a disaster! From hearing views from others, version 6 for MAC was the best one, and its actually got worse with newer versions. I have not used the Windows version but have heard its pretty decent on Windows.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread