+ Post New Thread
Mac Thread, Network Printer for Mac suite in Technical; Hi everyone, I'm currently looking into a new printer for our Mac Suite in Art as the current one is ...
    Thank Post

Network Printer for Mac suite

Hi everyone, I'm currently looking into a new printer for our Mac Suite in Art as the current one is falling apart!

I'm after a colour laser network printer, A4, possibly A3 depending on price. It must have proper mac drivers and can handle large quantities of large images being thrown at it at a time, so good amount of memory and probably a hard drive.

Does anyone have any experience with anything fitting my requirements?
    What do you use for your Mac network printers?

Cheers
    James

Thank Post
    I use mono A4 Kyocera (FS-2020dn) printers with postscript/kpdl drivers in the classroom.

I also have them connected to sharp mx-c311 (a4 only) and a mx-2600n (a4 and a3) again with postscript onboard.

Thank Post
    You should be safe with any network laser having recent Mac drivers. Most brands are playing nicely these days We're very fond of the Konica Minolta 8650DN which might fit the bill. 1GB RAM as standard, option for a 60GB hard drive, Postscript 3 and PCL5/6, 35ppm in both colour and mono, 150,000 pages per month duty cycle, two 500 sheet trays and duplex for double sided printing (should save money). Better value than similarly priced Epsons and HPs perhaps, and the print quality is just as good. It's on our site, and I'm sure most printer resellers can get hold of them.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by jlucas View Post
    Hi everyone, I'm currently looking into a new printer for our Mac Suite in Art as the current one is falling apart!

I'm after a colour laser network printer, A4, possibly A3 depending on price. It must have proper mac drivers and can handle large quantities of large images being thrown at it at a time, so good amount of memory and probably a hard drive.

Does anyone have any experience with anything fitting my requirements?
    What do you use for your Mac network printers?

Cheers
    James
    i don't see how you could go wrong with a HP CP2025....the dn model if you've got the cash.

Thank Post
    Get something with *Adobe* Postscript if you can. Bigger HPs (5550 here) work ok, but can crash with certain apps/fonts/random times. If a job gets stuck the Mac retries again when the printer is online, crashing it again. Repeat until you find the queue on the machine with the broken job (unless you send them all to a network queue).

Xerox 8650DN worked well, but was expensive to run and hung the print dialog for ages when shared from a windows server (but not on os x) Also used an oki C9300 for a while, worked well as it had adobe postscript.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by DMcCoy View Post
    Get something with *Adobe* Postscript if you can. Bigger HPs (5550 here) work ok, but can crash with certain apps/fonts/random times. If a job gets stuck the Mac retries again when the printer is online, crashing it again. Repeat until you find the queue on the machine with the broken job (unless you send them all to a network queue).

Xerox 8650DN worked well, but was expensive to run and hung the print dialog for ages when shared from a windows server (but not on os x) Also used an oki C9300 for a while, worked well as it had adobe postscript.
    Ditto about HP's they use their own version of PostScript and can cause all sorts of problems plus they use a special chip on the memory so you have to buy theirs which is absolutely extortionate. KM's PostScript emulation is even worse.

If you doing lots of work from Quark or InDesign I'd go for a Xerox with a Page Pack agreement so you can keep track of what you are spending on printing

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread