+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Mac Thread, Can't Image 24" iMac in Technical; I've recently got a 24" iMac as an upgrade from my 20" one. It looks to have all the same ...
    Thank Post

Can't Image 24" iMac

I've recently got a 24" iMac as an upgrade from my 20" one. It looks to have all the same generation and hardware as my 20" one.

I used the System Image Utility on our xserve to take an image of my mac and tried to push out the image using net install. Creating the image all went fine, to my knowledge,
    however when I try to push out the image across a network connection it doesn't seem to work. As I hold N for the net install boot, the large globe appears and flashed, then the smaller spinning globe appears and finally the ring of lines starts spinning. It then hangs for all eternity.

I tried a different image, which worked. So the network connection works fine. And I re-created the image of my 20" iMac to ensure the image is working. But the same thing happens.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Thank Post
    It's probably a driver issue. I have had issues trying to image a machine which has a different graphics card. The .nbi file was the cause. Try to create a new netinstall .nbi file for your 24 " machine. You may need to create a newer image anyway though. Just try an updated .nbi file first is what I would recommend. It's all down to the frameworks that are used to netboot.

3. Thanks to HodgeHi from:

rolfea (20th September 2010)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by rolfea View Post
    As I hold N for the net install boot, the large globe appears and flashed, then the smaller spinning globe appears and finally the ring of lines starts spinning. It then hangs for all eternity.
    Thanks
    Hardware is not supported is probably the issue. I had the same symptoms going from white to silver imacs with the same image. What version of OS X was it? I was able to upgrade the image file directly from 10.5.4 to 10.5.8 which worked, although it's quite a pain to do.

EDIT: as above also update the version of system image utility to the latest version to make sure latest hardware is supported too. You can then rebuild an updated OS image if needed into a netinstall image then.
    Last edited by DMcCoy; 17th September 2010 at 03:48 PM.

5. Thanks to DMcCoy from:

rolfea (20th September 2010)

Thank Post
    We've got everything running 10.5.8 at the moment. I'll check my version of System Image Utility. If not I'll take HodgeHi's advice and create it from scratch or use the migration assistant to, at least, get my applications across.

Thanks for both your replies.

Thank Post
    You also say you got it recently. What version of OS X came with it? The version it ships with is nearly always the minimum version required to support the hardware in the machine.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by DMcCoy View Post
    You also say you got it recently. What version of OS X came with it? The version it ships with is nearly always the minimum version required to support the hardware in the machine.
    So, if I buy new iMacs that come with 10.6 I won't be able to image them down to 10.5.8?

Thank Post
    Don't use the image Utility that comes with OS X Server. Use either CCC if you have a spare Mac around. Plug both of your iMacs into a spare computer via Target/Firewire mode then on the middle computer run Carbon Copy Cloner. Use this utility to image the 20" to the 24". The image should work on the 24" iMac seeing that your 20" is up to date. Another method if you only have the two desktops is to use a Install/Restore disc. Boot the disc then go to the menubar and select Disk Utility. Here you can use the restore option.

Rule of thumb with Apple hardware is that you make your image on the highest/latest hardware you can and it should work on all hardware below it. I use this method at work and it always works .... unless your dealing with PPC & Intel with Snow Leopard.

Anyways, try either CCC or Restore w/Disk Utility

Last edited by Carter; 29th September 2010 at 04:41 PM.

Thank Post
    Now the 24" Mac isn't the problem. I have 3 newly bought macs which come with with snow leopard and I need to image them with an Art Image that I have had for about a year now.

The image doesn't load on the new macs. Rebuilding the image again will really test my patience. =/

Thank Post
    You will not be able to install a Leopard 10.5.x image on a computer that came with Snow Leopard 10.6.x

This is one thing I have always voiced to my Apple reps that I can't stand about Apple. When Apple revamps hardware, whatever OS is out at that particular time, it will only run that OS or newer. You can not go lower. This is a big reason why I try to hold off on new purchases at times. Right now I have a few newer laptops in the system that are running with 10.6.x though everyone else has 10.5.x .... there is no way around it.

The only reason I can think of is for support of the OS/Hardware. It keeps support in a tight range for their hardware. If every OS could be installed it would make for a large support area.

Last edited by Carter; 29th September 2010 at 04:51 PM.

12. Thanks to Carter from:

rolfea (29th September 2010)

Thank Post
    i just died inside.

Thank Post
    Ya, it's an issue I've learned to live with. It doesn't really hurt the consumer but it makes it hard for large companies, education etc. that want to stick with one OS rather having to support more than one.

Thank Post
    Does it not work with the latest updated version of 10.5.8? I thought that they usually updated the previous version to work on newer hardware with .1 increments. I thought whenever a new piece of hardware came out a .1 increment usually followed.

I would maybe fully patch the 10.5 version and then try that. You never know.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by HodgeHi View Post
    Does it not work with the latest updated version of 10.5.8? I thought that they usually updated the previous version to work on newer hardware with .1 increments. I thought whenever a new piece of hardware came out a .1 increment usually followed.

Still wont have luck. Your Mac will only run the same level of OS X that it came in the box with.

Thank Post

I think your right. I managed to install Leopard with a separate install disc we got with a license.
    I still couldn't image the Mac, but I rebuilt the machine and took an image if the new machine. This then pushed out to the other 3 new machines successfully.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,699 Times in 1,994 Posts
    Does it not work with the latest updated version of 10.5.8?
    Straight from the horses mouth...

You should not attempt to install or reinstall a version of Mac OS X earlier than what came with your computer. (Source)
    If you install an earlier (previous) version of the Mac OS X than what was included, your computer may exhibit unexpected behavior... (Source)

The early 2009 24" iMac and mid-2009 20" iMac both shipped with 10.5.6.

Quote Originally Posted by Carter View Post
    This is one thing I have always voiced to my Apple reps that I can't stand about Apple. When Apple revamps hardware, whatever OS is out at that particular time, it will only run that OS or newer. You can not go lower.
    This is a good thing, because it means Apple will never be in the same situation as Microsoft are with Windows XP and/or IE6.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast