+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Mac Thread, Can't Image 24" iMac in Technical; Originally Posted by Arthur This is a good thing, because it means Apple will never be in the same situation ...
    Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Arthur View Post
    This is a good thing, because it means Apple will never be in the same situation as Microsoft are with Windows XP and/or IE6.
    For stand alone machines, yes, it's great.

But it's a bad thing because schools may want to standardise software, not have enough money to buy a full 30 Macs for a IT Suite one year, so buy the next batch the next year and have to create another image and image twice as many Macs or risk of having software that can't be used or supported on snow leopard

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by rolfea View Post
    For stand alone machines, yes, it's great.

But it's a bad thing because schools may want to standardise software, not have enough money to buy a full 30 Macs for a IT Suite one year, so buy the next batch the next year and have to create another image and image twice as many Macs or risk of having software that can't be used or supported on snow leopard
    +1

It does help with support but when you have 500-1000 Macs to support and they all have 10.5 and then you buy a couple dozen that will only run the latest OS, this throws a wrench into the works. First you have a new OS/image to completely re-build, then another to support (ie. software compatibility issues because your standard 10.5 image is built and you don't want different versions of software in the environment).

It's the way it is but it really does blow on Apple behalf. I would have gone 10.6 across the province this year but the $15K-$20K price tag was a bit much!

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by rolfea View Post
    Now the 24" Mac isn't the problem. I have 3 newly bought macs which come with with snow leopard and I need to image them with an Art Image that I have had for about a year now.

The image doesn't load on the new macs. Rebuilding the image again will really test my patience. =/
    I had exactly that problem. As you have guessed there is a hardware difference between the Core i3/5/7 machines and the Core 2 Duo that means 10.5 will not boot. I never bothered to try and work out what it was, I gave in and built a new image straight away.

As a possible alternative which I should have thought of when I did mine was to upgrade one of your existing 10.5 machines to 10.6 and see if and image from that will work. If you are netbooting then you will need to create a new netboot image from 10.6 otherwise you will still have the not booting problem.

Thank Post
    We have the same problem. In my case though it is hardware compatibility. We have 15 to 20 webcams that work well with 10.5.8 and a piece of software we use. If we upgrade to 10.6 we can no longer use these webcams or this piece of software. So we either don't upgrade, or upgrade and purchase another load of webcams and at £60 to be compatible with a mac is a bit much for a webcam really.

Thank Post
    Just joined up to say "ditto" on this thread. We run an all Linux/Unix back-end and have single sign-on (for Mac, Linux & Windows via LDAP, Kerberos, NFS - plus SMB for Windows boxes). Some of the changes made in 10.6 mean new machines simply don't work in our environment. Which is sad, because we were excited when new machines running 10.5 recognized they were in a shared environment at first startup and would automatically attempt to join our 'domain' (for lack of a better word). We thought "Hey, Apple is starting to pay attention to the shared environment 'enterprise' space. But now... all of that has changed completely. All sorts of small steps sideways or backwards have made 10.6 unusable for us. Local unix groups in 10.6 don't stop at GID 99 any more (encroaching on existing groups), the Finder freaks out at auto-mounted NFS home directories, Apps won't launch due to lost group permissions, and so on.

So, until we work out how to overcome all this without tearing 10.6 apart and get 10.6 machines to work, we simply can't buy any new machines.
    Sorry Apple. Thanks for trying back in 10.5 to play in the 'enterprise' space... but no thanks for then just throwing it all out again in 10.6.
    We're stuck in a Catch-22: We can't install 10.5.x on new iMacs, new iMacs with 10.6 won't work in our environment (until we pull it apart and find out everything that's changed).

Maybe 10.7..... ?
    Last edited by mmcfee; 20th October 2010 at 09:36 PM.

Thank Post
    this isn't the case as i got server 10.5.4 on a Mac Mini that came with 10.6 (initially it didn't work) if i remember correctly i had to install 10.5.6 from dvd on it and then install server 10.5.4.

if you therefore get your new iMac with an old dvd 10.5.6 and install that you should be able to then image it with your upgraded 10.5.8 images

Thank Post
    My issue is specific to the iMacs so far which have Core i3 processors. The Minis still have Core2Duos and I suspected that they might run 10.5 of some flavor. I've ordered a Mini, actually, just to confirm this. Looks like you beat me to it.

As for the Core i3 (and 5 and 7), they must surely use a different chipset than any previous model, so my suspicion is that this is at the root of the problem. I'm going to try to track down a 10.5.7 or 10.5.8 (was there one?) DVD and give it one more try on the Core i3 iMac I have.

Thank Post
    As a final confirmation, I got a new Mini today and tried the same 10.5.6 disc that the Core i3 iMac would not boot from and the Mini readily booted it.
    So I assume, unless some magic happened in the 10.5.7 DVD, that this Core i3 simply will not boot 10.5 of any sortl (from DVD nor cloned drive).
    Guess I should grab a couple of Minis while I can for fail-over.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12