+ Post New Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Mac Thread, iPAD for all students AHHHHHHHH in Technical; Originally Posted by j17sparky Still, I think 1600 pages is ridiculous. I don't think I will have printed (or had ...

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by j17sparky View Post
    Still, I think 1600 pages is ridiculous. I don't think I will have printed (or had printed for me) 1600 pages in my entire life!!
    It's actually interesting to look at the distribution rather than the average and then target individuals who are using huge amounts of paper - what are they doing with it? There may be perfectly good reasons for what they're doing but there might be cheaper ways of doing it (could it go on a web site and never be printed? Can it be an SMS to parents instead of a letter home?)

Just looked at the printer nearest to me; since January it's printed 21,000 separate jobs. 20 out of 100 staff using it printed 12 or fewer pages; 10 people printed over 2000 pages. If we were looking to save on printing it would make sense to target those high volume users - the bottom 50 used an average of 1 ream between them each month which is not worth worrying about.

I'd love to be able to get rid of printers for regular use; if devices like the iPad make that happen them maybe Apple aren't all bad :-)

Thank Post
    Just a quick addition for the members asking whether it was possible to print from the iPad. Famously Jobs said "we're working on it" recently, and it now looks like this feature will appear very soon, according to this item from MacWorld News Apple reveals more details on AirPrint wireless printing for iOS - iPod/iPhone - Macworld UK

Thank Post
    We've been discussing something like this actually and are quite interested in the ExoPC. iPad has also been a consideration but it's not something we're going to do for a year or two so I'm happy to wait for other companies to grow their wings.

Something I haven't really seen addressed much is ruggedness - kids (and teachers!) are rough on technology.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by AntiThesis View Post
    We've been discussing something like this actually and are quite interested in the ExoPC. iPad has also been a consideration but it's not something we're going to do for a year or two so I'm happy to wait for other companies to grow their wings.

Something I haven't really seen addressed much is ruggedness - kids (and teachers!) are rough on technology.
    We're expecting good reliability from the iPad. Basically it's a sandwich of a solid piece of aluminium on the back and a sheet of toughened glass on the front. It doesn't feel like it will fall apart any time soon As it's a touch screen operating system, there's just a smattering of actual hardware switches - on/off button, Home button, orientation slide switch, volume rocker. They all feel pretty chunky too. Early days yet but they're looking pretty kidproof (and staffproof) at the moment.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by DrCheese View Post
    iOS 4.1 will include native printing support, due out this November
    iOS 4.1 is now out.

Thank Post
    iOS 4.1 doesn't have the printing function, sadly. Apple has announced that iPad iOS 4.2 will be released in November and will have wireless printing but it's unclear whether the feature will happen on the iPhone or Touch at the same time Apple announces iOS 4.1 features, previews 4.2 update | Mobile | iOS Central | Macworld

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Robbocop View Post
    We're expecting good reliability from the iPad. Basically it's a sandwich of a solid piece of aluminium on the back and a sheet of toughened glass on the front. It doesn't feel like it will fall apart any time soon As it's a touch screen operating system, there's just a smattering of actual hardware switches - on/off button, Home button, orientation slide switch, volume rocker. They all feel pretty chunky too. Early days yet but they're looking pretty kidproof (and staffproof) at the moment.
    It'll be interesting to see how they handle actually - I know our little ones can be quite... boisterous with technology at times. I suppose at worst it may need to have some form of rubberized cover to help absorb shocks.

Still holding out for ExoPC though

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by srochford View Post
    It's actually interesting to look at the distribution rather than the average and then target individuals who are using huge amounts of paper - what are they doing with it? There may be perfectly good reasons for what they're doing but there might be cheaper ways of doing it (could it go on a web site and never be printed? Can it be an SMS to parents instead of a letter home?)

Just looked at the printer nearest to me; since January it's printed 21,000 separate jobs. 20 out of 100 staff using it printed 12 or fewer pages; 10 people printed over 2000 pages. If we were looking to save on printing it would make sense to target those high volume users - the bottom 50 used an average of 1 ream between them each month which is not worth worrying about.

I'd love to be able to get rid of printers for regular use; if devices like the iPad make that happen them maybe Apple aren't all bad :-)
    Oh don't worry we've done plenty of auditting, using the stats to find patterns, main culprits etc. One department did 15,000 copies on a single photocopier in a single month!!! We know who it is thats driving our costs up. I just gave an overall figure for ease.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,162 Times in 987 Posts
    Blog Entries
    ust as an update, I received a phone call this afternoon from a company who is going to be releasing an iOS management package including remote desktop, app deployment, and remote wiping of iPads and iPhones. Watch this space, I am expecting something to show you all pretty soon. It looks like iPads may be viable after all.
    Oh, and this makes intersting reading: Steve Jobs Unveils New Enterprise Features at Apple iPhone 4.0 Event - Mobile and Wireless from eWeek

Seems Apple have acknowleged that they cannot ignore the enterprise 'space' any longer.

Thank Post
    Features like remote wipe, wireless profile updates and enterprise roll outs are already supported for the iPad using the iPhone Configuration Utility..

Apple - Support - iPad - Enterprise

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Yes, but not for large scale deployments and companies such as Microsoft and Apple have traditionally been quite bad at providing\creating easy to use central admin tools.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Here is the press release for the product I was informed of:

Absolute to Deliver Enterprise-Caliber Management for iPhone

Absolute Software unveils plans to support Apple iOS 4 in Absolute Manage

Vancouver, Canada: June 22, 2010 – AbsoluteŽ Software Corporation (“Absolute” or the “Company”) (TSX: ABT), the leading provider of firmware-based, patented, computer theft recovery, data protection and secure computer lifecycle management solutions today released plans to provide enterprise-caliber management capabilities for Apple iOS 4 devices, including iPhone, as core components of its lifecycle management solution Absolute Manage. With support for Apple iOS 4, Absolute Manage will provide IT departments with tools to help manage popular Apple products in an enterprise environment.

"Apple mobile devices have been very well-received by consumers and, increasingly, among larger organizations," said John Livingston, Chairman and Chief Executive Officer of Absolute. "With enterprise deployments of these devices on the rise, we are extending our long-standing focus on lifecycle management for Apple products to include robust management for iPhone. With our forthcoming solution, IT will be able to address brand new challenges such as managing in-house applications and managing iOS device configuration.”

Enterprise tools for management of iPhone

Slated for general availability during the summer of 2010, an updated version of Absolute Manage will provide IT departments managing iOS 4 devices with the ability to remotely manage aspects of lifecycle management and data protection.

Lifecycle management features include the ability to remotely:

Manage user profiles
    Manage provisioning profiles
    Inventory installed third-party applications (custom developed or from the AppStore)
    Gather device lifecycle management information from the devices
    Data protection features include the ability for IT administrators to remotely send a:

Device Lock command to any iOS 4 device in an emergency
    Clear Passcode command
    Remote Wipe command to delete sensitive data from a missing or stolen device
    Building on a history of delivering manageability for enterprise Apple users

Absolute Manage is purpose-built to support IT departments that contend day-to-day with a mixed population of Apple and PC computers. Existing core features of the solution provide the industry’s leading lifecycle management solution for Mac computers. Features currently enjoyed by Mac administrators include:

Application & License Management – Deploy software and manage licenses across the network
    Security, Change & Configuration Management – Remotely monitor and adjust configurations, and execute files
    Automated Patch Management – Centrally manage and install patches, and report on patch status for all managed systems
    Computer Imaging - Install a complete OS plus all standard applications onto Mac computers while in use or just out of the box
    Power Management – Comply with green initiatives and lower total cost of ownership by remotely enforcing power saving policy profiles
    Asset Inventory – Collect hardware and software data points from devices over the network and analyze the information for timely and fact-based asset management decisions
    Availability: General availability of support for iOS 4 within Absolute Manage is scheduled for release during calendar Q3, 2010.

13. Thanks to Dos_Box from:

Sean-OC04 (6th October 2010)

Thank Post
    From being a complete sceptic, I'm actually getting quite enthusiastic about this type of device. What he has done so far is pretty impressive and I really can see the benefit. If they can get the manageability side sorted out I will be pushing for going down this route. I can see devices like the iPad working better than Windows 7 type devices, simply because the OS is designed for this type of use rather than being a generic OS that we'd had to lock down like mad a would have over bloated apps. Maybe if Google got their act together with the Android OS I could see that being some competition, but I think Microsoft have missed the ball on this one unless they can do something with Windows Mobile 7.
    Yes we would still need full blown PC's in some areas, but nowhere near as many as we need now. If we could also dramatically reduce our reprographics and printer budget, reduce our reliance on full blown desktops/laptops, and reduce our Microsoft tax my 'back of fag packet' calculations put us in the same sort of budget as we currently spend.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,780 Times in 1,105 Posts
    Blog Entries
    The other option I am investigating within a project at NCC is how best to set up a 'dirty' or guest device network so that we don't have any control over them, but they are home devices instead. The way it is looking at the moment to try to configure them will still be a laborious process and it will even more cost onto setting up devices.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Dos_Box View Post
    Here is the press release for the product I was informed of:
    the more choice in terms of enterprise mgmt apps the better, but from a cursory glance at the press release don't think anything stands out that isn't already done by either the iphone CU or enterprise iOS mgmt solutions.

when people talk about true enterprise manageability of handheld/mobile devices the nirvana has to be over-the-air deployment of apps and application of updates [for OS and apps]. At present the hurdle with iOS devices and appstore apps is the requirement to have itunes as the deployment software, and hence direct usb connections to an itunes or iphone CU host.

what i would like to see is support for bluetooth mice so you can get a better windows desktop experience for those using the ipad and app streaming/VDI apps [this to me makes it a true netbook killer if you have the app streaming or VDI back-end]. what would also be nice is more over-the-air deployment options available in the next releases of the iphone CU.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast