+ Post New Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Mac Thread, Mac Vs Vista in Technical; My main 'gripe' about the mac ads is that they're comparing Mac OS to a PC (which can run Windows, ...

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

Re: Mac Vs Vista

My main 'gripe' about the mac ads is that they're comparing Mac OS to a PC (which can run Windows, Linux, BSD, even Mac OS but not legally); when it should be Mac OS to Windows.

If they're referring to hardware, it is further flawed as it's possible to dual-boot mac hardware with Windows.

Thank Post

Quote Originally Posted by AshF
    ....as a mac user i'm annoyed at the attitude taken towards us by the MS fanboys, as a PC user i'm annoyed at the rep the pro-apple lobby brings up. It's worse than Snes Vs. Megadrive when I was at school. The lot of them should just sodding well grow up. Neither side is perfect, nor will it ever be.
    @AshF: the mac joke was just that: a joke. I agree that the arguments are childish. But mac started it.... (how childish did that sound!) Their current ad campaign just sounds to me like, we will never beat m$ in the work place lets concentrate on the home. But they do not have the software house backing to do so. There are very few games released on the mac, when they are they are amazing quality, but they're not there very often. I dont use a mac but i'd like to, especially for any graphics work i'm doing.

The whole point of me chipping in to this thread was the mac ad campaign. Why can't we just say here's a mac. Here's what it does. Here's Vista, here's what it does. Here's linux, here's what it does. Now you choose what YOU want to do. Rather than the playground, my os is better than yours, hey you stole that idea off me, did not, did too, i'm going to pull your power lead now!

Thank Post

SNES > Megadrve
    Dreamcast > PS2
    Amiga > Everything

Thank Post

Lee, Oh I wasn't directly responding to your response... it was just a general vent, as that news article has been rattling around the techies I know for the past 24 hours. Apples advertising campaign is misguided it's true. But it doesn't annoy me nearly half as much as the Vista Wow campaign.

Thank Post

Quote Originally Posted by mrforgetful
    SNES > Megadrve
    Dreamcast > PS2
    Amiga > Everything
    Yeah!!!! I had an Amiga 500+ (mustn't forget the +) it was only out for about 6 months before it was usurped by the Amiga 600. It came with captain planet, bart vs space mutants. Real quality games. Dont laugh i mean it. They were great!

I love nostalgia!

Thank Post

The majority of people here are united in the opinion that Windows is better than MacOS. But then we are employed in IT and, I would hope, have an IQ over the average computer user.

With experience, knowledge and intelligence - what do we know?

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

The A500+ was my first encounter with computers, ahhh the good old days of Jaguar XJ220, quick snack, workbench (it even had TTS!)

Thank Post

Quote Originally Posted by webman
    The A500+ was my first encounter with computers, ahhh the good old days of Jaguar XJ220, quick snack, workbench (it even had TTS!)
    I loved the program "say". now there was a great case of doing exactly what it said on the tin.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,814 Times in 1,126 Posts
    Blog Entries

The thing I like about the adverts?

It is about having a sense of humour. I know that in a few years (months ... days) time there will be live viruses out there for Mac OS X and not just proof of concept exploits ... I accept this and I know that when people show the advert in years to come it will be ridiculed (the same way people have ridiculed the '1984' advert when it was Apple v IBM)

Do I use a Mac ... at work I use Tiger, at home I use Vista (or Tiger Server if I am doing that side of things).

Do I get annoyed that people just look at the prettyness of the Mac and forget that I use CLI for a number of things (or did when I was still allowed to play with the network)?

Do I get annoyed when people say that you can do everything on a PC (meaning windows usually) that you can do on a Mac (meaning Mac OS X)? Yes ... I know I can do most things on a Windows machine that I do on an OS X machine ... but I generally find that I do most of them on a Mac far better ... it is the way I work.

Do I think that the GUI for *nix and the way apps sit on it works for me? Only in some cases ... so I choose one that works best for me ... Aqua.

Are the general public going to understand the difference between Windows OS and Mac OS if that was used in the adverts rather than PC and Mac? Possibly ... but when you are surfing on the halo effect from iPods they will use any marketing opportunity they can ... and that is what this is.

Is there an element of FUD? You bet there is ... but generally done in such a manner that you cannot take it seriously ... heck ... I don't take any information in adverts seriously when put across as a joke ...

Now can we go back to proper arguements ...

Vi or emacs!

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

It's the sheer obnoxiousness of apple with the "Hey I'm apple, I'm better than anything" attitude.

Erm.. neither - nano

Thank Post

It's the sheer obnoxiousness of apple with the "Hey I'm apple, I'm better than anything" attitude.
    and the lies... oh the lies...

User gets virus then switches to Mac
    V
    User finds that he didn't understand how to use a computer in the first place - hence virus.
    V
    Mac goes back in box - another notch on Apple's bedpost - another clueless user does not call technical support...

what am I complaining about?!?

This is perfect.

"Sorry sir, I cannot support MacOS"

Damn, I work in a school now

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,814 Times in 1,126 Posts
    Blog Entries

Erm.. neither - nano
    But that attitude fits in perfectly with being a SysAdmin ... we are better than everyone else!!!! Surely the God complex fits in perfectly with the Apple ideal?

Ok ... I know it is not for everyone ... but it is for me ... and part of the issue is that people are not used to experiencing things other than the latest falvour of windows ...

I know that the various distros are a lot better than they used to be, but there is still a level of elitism about using *nix ... and if people can be torn away from their comfort zones and into using a different OS on different hardware then we shoud be happy ...

And don't forget that once Leopard is out and we have Boot Camp built in we can get as many OSes as we feel necessary unto a Mac.

I have to admit to being a follower of Apple adverts over the years ... and have been disappointed that so many are not shown in the UK ... I loved the one that showed a possible Pentium worker with his feet on fire after the issue with overheating ...

As far as marketing goes that have some fantastic stuff ...

And I'll add nano into the list ...

Vi v emacs v nano ... surely the argue of the discerning geek.

Thank Post

vi

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,032 Times in 812 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Ric_
    vi
    real hackers use sed

Thank Post

Nowt wrong with nano :P