+ Post New Thread
Mac Thread, Unable to to Mac via od in Technical; Our Mac server (snow leopard) has successfully binded to our windows AD and the AD users are showing on the ...

Thank Post

Unable to to Mac via od

Our Mac server (snow leopard) has successfully binded to our windows AD and the AD users are showing on the the Mac Server. What we cannot do is allow users to log on to the macs.

Are we missing something in workgroup manager?

Any help on this would be greatly appreciated, haven't a clue about macs, thinking about it haven't got much of a clue on windows server 2008 r2 either.
    Last edited by sidnuts; 28th July 2010 at 06:11 PM. Reason: Sorry about messed up thread tittle, typing on ipad

Thank Post
    You need to bind the clients to both ad and od. Ad needs to be 1st in search list on the clients. Can't think of the correct term for this right now.

In od you can assign active directory groups to od groups so you don't need to manage them in 2 places.

3. Thanks to gaz350 from:

sidnuts (28th July 2010)

Thank Post
    Thank you for your quick reply.

So I would assign groups on the macs to control group preferences? So if the users created on the windows server are listed on the Mac server, users should log on to the macs ok?

So I'm missing something on the Mac clients.

Thanks again, will give this another look tomorrow when I'm in work

Thank Post
    Sorry have you setup open directory on the mac server?

6. Thanks to gaz350 from:

sidnuts (28th July 2010)

Thank Post

8. Thanks to gaz350 from:

sidnuts (28th July 2010)

Thank Post
    Had a look on a couple of sites and maybe open directory hasn't been configured correctly. I have just looked at the link provided and will go through it tomorrow, page 28 of the PDF looks promising.

I really appreciate the time you have taken to respond to my questions

Thank Post
    had question related to this. We aren't actually having any issues with our Macs. We have Open directory only and just had a questions about join the Macs to the server. I use Directory utility to make a connection to the OD server. There is an option to 'bind' with Open Directory.

Can I ask exactly what this does. I dont actually Bind to open directory, just add the OD server into the search list on the Macs and this seems to work fine.

Just wanted to know really.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,048 Times in 970 Posts

name for the setup you are reffering to

I think it is called "The magic triangle"

Mac server is used to apply restrictions and assign users into groups etc and apply preferences via MCX

Windows server is so that they can still logon to the AD server and still access and use there home area's on the windows side.

I think thats correct ??

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by ranj View Post
    had question related to this. We aren't actually having any issues with our Macs. We have Open directory only and just had a questions about join the Macs to the server. I use Directory utility to make a connection to the OD server. There is an option to 'bind' with Open Directory.

Can I ask exactly what this does. I dont actually Bind to open directory, just add the OD server into the search list on the Macs and this seems to work fine.

Just wanted to know really.
    Computer groups in WGM are based on the machine MAC address. When you bind a client to OD, an account is created in OD, much like joining the domain on AD. For those of us with their machines on a different subnet to the server, it's the only way to tie the MCX prefs to the machine (as it adds the MAC to computer info when binding).

You can also do things like only allow bound clients to use OD, use ssl etc.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,048 Times in 970 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DMcCoy View Post
    Computer groups in WGM are based on the machine MAC address. When you bind a client to OD, an account is created in OD, much like joining the domain on AD. For those of us with their machines on a different subnet to the server, it's the only way to tie the MCX prefs to the machine (as it adds the MAC to computer info when binding).

You can also do things like only allow bound clients to use OD, use ssl etc.
    As most macs come with airport along with onboard ethernet would it be an idea to use both mac addresses ( the ethernet mac address and the airport mac address )

Thank Post
    You can only use the mac address of the hardware device connecting the machine to the network. If you are using both the ethernet and airport card to connect to the network then you would probably need to use both. However, I can't see how you would be able to. Since you would bind the machine to the OD once, switching to the airport card and then binding again would not be an option.it would say unbind instead of giving the option to bind. You need to think of it as DMcCoy said like joining XP to the domain. It's not like adding a DHCP reservation using the mac address. You don't have the option of specifying the mac address when binding. I assume it depends on what hardware is being used.

Although I may be wrong.

I don't usually bind myself as my network has no subnets. I usually just start all the machines and then using WGM select the machines from the list and and place them in the correct Computer group. This is how my client machines are managed. Never really had a problem with management of machines so far. I have done this from 10.4 (i think) right through 10.5 to 10.5.8 and now 10.6.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by HodgeHi View Post
    I usually just start all the machines and then using WGM select the machines from the list and and place them in the correct Computer group.
    When the list is empty is when you start learning about binding

Thank Post

I havent had a problem so far, but then I carry a plank of wood around with me for good luck.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread