+ Post New Thread
Mac Thread, Home Directories Messing With My Head! in Technical; We currently have a Mac network and a Windows network on different subnets, connected together which the XServe acting as ...
    Thank Post

Home Directories Messing With My Head!

We currently have a Mac network and a Windows network on different subnets, connected together which the XServe acting as a router.

This means each student has two users names with two work areas.

I've been working on a test network so our users can authenticate with AD and all the Mac settings are controlled with Workgroup Manager, and it has been going pleasantly well. I've got to a point where Windows users can log on using a Mac, and the account is using preferences set in Workgroup Manager.

HOWEVER...

My current set up is storing everything on the end users computer.
    I would like the user to store on the Xserve when logged onto a Mac and on a Windows File Server when logged on a windows PC.

I've read about 101 ways of setting up several different kinds of home areas and it's all getting over my head.

I'm following an Apple guide called Leveraging Active Directory on Mac OS X and it's been great! I'm just stumped at this point. The guide explains about Augmenting Users which makes no sense to me.

Is anyone able to advise me if I'm supposed to be Augmenting Accounts or where I can find some useful guides that could help?

Thanks

Thank Post
    Has no one experienced anything like this?

Thank Post
    I've setup a AFP server here with the same share names as the windows server. Then the hosts file on the mac has been edited to point the AD home server name to the OS X box instead.

Thank Post
    Augmented accounts should do this for you, yes.

As a rough guide...:
    You Augment user accounts when you bind your XServe to your AD network and bind your client to both the Open Directory (master) and AD (standard practice is to have the clients search the LDAPv3 search path, then the AD path).

In WGM you need to set up at least one user group, then import users into it from your AD connection (make sure your XServe has '/Active Directory/All Domains' included in it's search path). From here, you can add your policies and controls to the group.

When your Mac clients log in, they'll find the AD user record, then they'll find the Open Directory record and augment the account with all the Mac-specific stuff that the AD does not provide.

I recently did the Apple Directory Services course. If you've the money (and reading time) for a new book, it might be worth getting the accompanying text book, which should give you a better understanding of how augmented accounts work.
    Apple Training Series: Mac OS X Directory Services v10.6: A Guide to Configuring Directory Services on Mac OS X and Mac OS X Server: Amazon.co.uk: Arek Dreyer, Ben Greisler: Books

HTH.

5. Thanks to dayzd from:

rolfea (19th July 2010)

Thank Post
    @abullett - I've added AD users to groups in WGM. This can allow me to change access permissions for applications and dock preferences, but it doesn't allow me to set home paths.

With the Augment process in the guide it looks as though I have import the users from AD list into WGM, but they're are more like references to AD rather than actual users. It also looks as though I have to set every single users home directory manually. With 1,600 odd users this doesn't tickle my fancy.

Does that post make sense? I suppose I'm looking more for a process which can do it 'en masse'

Thank Post
    I see... Not sure how you'd do that all at once. We're about to buy Passenger to help manage our users from September. Couldn't tell you if it'd play nice with augmented accounts (although I would think theoretically it can).

The other oprion you have is to script something using the DSCL (Directory Services Command Line) tool. The DS_ tools are covered well in the book I mentioned and are command line tools for reading and manipulating data.

'man dscl' in terminal to find out a bit more about it.

8. Thanks to dayzd from:

rolfea (20th July 2010)

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread