+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Mac Thread, Mac Server as a Virtual Machine in Technical; Hi, Someone on here told me that i could run Mac OS X Server software as a virtual machine on ...

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,729 Times in 1,492 Posts
    Blog Entries

Mac Server as a Virtual Machine

Hi,

Someone on here told me that i could run Mac OS X Server software as a virtual machine on a none Mac host.

We would like to run the software on VMware ESX.

Please can anyone confirm if we able to do this please?

Thanks

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,717 Times in 2,302 Posts
    Blog Entries
    No, not as far as I am aware, the Mac system requires certain hardware to be present in order to run. I did hear of a virtualising solution that would host Mac OS on a server but did require the host be a Mac server.

Besides running it in any form on non Mac hardware would be against the liscencing restrictions. Thats overzellous lock-in for you.

http://www.macosxhints.com/article.p...80805081909302
    http://www.macosxhints.com/article.p...81007065012185
    Last edited by SYNACK; 5th July 2010 at 11:25 AM.

Thank Post
    Just seconding what Synack said. On a non-Mac host, it's not possible. You can't even do it (legally. I believe you can bodge certain versions of VMWare, but I've never seen it done) on a normal client OS X machine. It has to be OS X Server or nothing.

Thank Post
    It is possible, with a few setting tweaks etc, however, it wouldn't be legal.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    VirtualBox now supports OS-X Server in a VM. Officially this is on Mac hardware only. Unofficially, if the host CPU, etc are 100% the same as Mac hardware then it may be possible to convince it to run on non-apple hardware - it'd be against Apple's EULA though.

Thank Post
    I virtualised Mac OS 10.5 some while ago and, although it can be done, it is painstakingly slow as a VM. There's no way of installing the VM tools so that's something worth considering. Needless to say, it is not legal.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Why on earth are apple being such a pain in the back side with this it is a disgrace you buy something and they tell you how to use it!!

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by nicholab View Post
    Why on earth are apple being such a pain in the back side with this it is a disgrace you buy something and they tell you how to use it!!
    The Windows EULA has it's moments as well - Apple are no where near unique in this

Thank Post
    Apple manufacture the Hardware. The OS X is it's biggest selling point. It stands to reason why they don't want it running on non-apple hardware. Why would anyone spend more on an Apple machine if they could run the OS on a standard PC?

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    EULA should be made illegal they are a disgrace you're paid the money!!

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by HodgeHi View Post
    Apple manufacture the Hardware. The OS X is it's biggest selling point. It stands to reason why they don't want it running on non-apple hardware. Why would anyone spend more on an Apple machine if they could run the OS on a standard PC?
    Given the build quality of some of their hardware, not me! Love the OS but the hardware can be ropey for the price you pay.

Quote Originally Posted by nicholab View Post
    EULA should be made illegal they are a disgrace you're paid the money!!
    Who says the EULA is legally binding?

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by tmcd35 View Post
    Given the build quality of some of their hardware, not me! Love the OS but the hardware can be ropey for the price you pay.
    Unfortunately I would have to agree with you. Over the last few iterations of hardware, there have been more and more issues as they try to reduce the cost of their hardware to bring it to the mass consumer market. But also since the transition to Intel processors. Coincidence?

My Powermac G5 is still going on quite strong. It was also the 1st version, Dual processor 1.8 Ghz.

Thank Post
    Who says? All manufacturers will leak out inadequate builds of their products; Apple ain't alone. My mates MacBook from 4 years ago is still going strong (looks like one the first Intel's) and he uses it everyday quite intensely.

Mac OS X is what made me move to my MacBook Pro I got a year ago, and I was a hardcore Windows user before. Especially when a top of the range Dell XPS which was probably the best looking and practical 13" notebook at the time had an extensive overheating problem that they never solved. Sold it on with extra warranty to guarantee its sale on eBay. At least Apple won't question you and give you a replacement. Their customer service is worth paying for through their products.

On Topic: Shame you can't virtualise Mac OS X, but why would you want to when it's reliability comes through being on hardware that is rock solid and drivers that won't crash on any moment? Our Mac Pro works perfect on its own.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Tunster View Post
    Who says? All manufacturers will leak out inadequate builds of their products; Apple ain't alone. My mates MacBook from 4 years ago is still going strong (looks like one the first Intel's) and he uses it everyday quite intensely.
    Who says? That'd be me

I've owned a few macs. I have been something of a Mac zealot. I will defend the OS and think it's the greatest thing since Amiga went belly up. However, there hardware can be shocking. We've had other threads on this, and while I like the company I'm not going to defend their hardware in face of the evidence. Slot load CD drives look cool, which is why Apple use them, but are a right royal PIA, which is why no other manufacturer uses them. Magsafe power looks cool, which is why Apple uses them, but three time £75 replacement power adaptors later is why I don't use them!

If I had half a mind, and cared less about my job - I'd do a 2sec search of 'the net' and get what I need to install OS X on my AMD based Toshiba laptop. Solid HW meets solid OS at a price I can afford - now that would be good!

Thank Post
    I've owned a few macs. I have been something of a Mac zealot. I will defend the OS and think it's the greatest thing since Amiga went belly up. However, there hardware can be shocking. We've had other threads on this, and while I like the company I'm not going to defend their hardware in face of the evidence.
    I don't understand what's so wrong about their hardware? Yes, I have heard about a couple of things that haven't been right with their current line of Macs. No different than any other manufacturer. I guess it's all down to luck if you get the "Friday afternoon" device. You only hear the people complaining on forums and knowing how many they've sold, it's probably a very minor amount of people that experience problems.

Slot load CD drives look cool, which is why Apple use them, but are a right royal PIA, which is why no other manufacturer uses them.
    Untrue. My Dell XPS had one and many high-end laptops use them. They do look cool and save space! Again, I can't see why you're so anti-slot drives. Who wants a clunky CD/DVD drive for the safety you can get the disc out?

Magsafe power looks cool, which is why Apple uses them, but three time £75 replacement power adaptors later is why I don't use them!
    There's eBay and you shouldn't need a spare ones if you look after the original one .

If I had half a mind, and cared less about my job - I'd do a 2sec search of 'the net' and get what I need to install OS X on my AMD based Toshiba laptop. Solid HW meets solid OS at a price I can afford - now that would be good!
    Windows 7 gives people that requirement now-a-days! I've tried hackintoshing my Dell and other PC-based machines. Too much hassle in my opinion! Even for someone like me who's comfortable with tweaking with O/S's.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast