+ Post New Thread
Mac Thread, Remote desktop tool for connecting to an Xserve in Technical; Hi Folks, Currently at the end of my tether trying to find a stable and reliable remote desktop tool to ...

Thank Post

Remote desktop tool for connecting to an Xserve

Hi Folks,

Currently at the end of my tether trying to find a stable and reliable remote desktop tool to use for connecting to an Xserve.

Have tried both VNC (a few different flavours) and teamviewer, but am finding them a combination of horribly slow and unstable.

Any suggestions welcome before I go to my host rip it out of the rack and beat the snot out of it.

Cheers

Conrad

Thank Post
    Other than Apple Remote Desktop?

Thank Post
    We use ARD with the basic VNC as a backup if we're not on OSX - did you try another VNC server or just different clients?

Thank Post
    Using the Apple VNC server at the moment and tried a few different clients.
    The issue with ARD is getting my boss to open the wallet to buy it

theeldergeek
    Quote Originally Posted by Conrad View Post
    Using the Apple VNC server at the moment and tried a few different clients.
    The issue with ARD is getting my boss to open the wallet to buy it
    Are you managing a network of Mac's? If so, ARD really is a must - I couldn't do without it!

Thank Post
    Only got the one Xserve off site for a application hosting environment (Webobjects serving a multi instanced application)
    that was put it in about six months before I started. So I have the fun of ironing out "wrinkles".

theeldergeek
    Quote Originally Posted by Conrad View Post
    Only got the one Xserve off site for a application hosting environment (Webobjects serving a multi instanced application)
    that was put it in about six months before I started. So I have the fun of ironing out "wrinkles".
    What about something like Logmein? I'm not sure I understand your circumstances, so that might not be entirely helpful.

Thank Post
    Hi

From a PC any of these 3 should work: UltraVNC, TightVNC and RealVNC. I use RealVNC (the free download version) all the time and it never fails for me. The other two give mixed results. With UltraVNC you need to use Putty to issue the 'kickstart' command before it will work even though the ARDAgent is running fine on the mac. You have to make sure you change the resolution settings from their default (set quite low as I recall) on RealVNC before you can make a connection. On the mac side make sure you enable the relevant option in the Sharing Preferences Pane for Remote Management. Don't use or enable the Screen Sharing option.

System Preferences > Sharing > Remote Management > Computer Settings > VNC Viewers may control screen with password.

Define a password which is different from the local admin account's password.

Antonio Rocco (ACSA)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by AntonioRocco View Post
    Hi

From a PC any of these 3 should work: UltraVNC, TightVNC and RealVNC. I use RealVNC (the free download version) all the time and it never fails for me. The other two give mixed results. With UltraVNC you need to use Putty to issue the 'kickstart' command before it will work even though the ARDAgent is running fine on the mac. You have to make sure you change the resolution settings from their default (set quite low as I recall) on RealVNC before you can make a connection. On the mac side make sure you enable the relevant option in the Sharing Preferences Pane for Remote Management. Don't use or enable the Screen Sharing option.

System Preferences > Sharing > Remote Management > Computer Settings > VNC Viewers may control screen with password.

Define a password which is different from the local admin account's password.

Antonio Rocco (ACSA)
    Are there a lot of security issues with screen sharing and is there not a tick box to enable the same preference with regards to not being able to control it unless you have the password ?

Or does this option differ on the server OS for OS X ?

quick google found vine server

http://sourceforge.net/projects/osxvnc/

not sure what version of os x or if its any good for that matter
    Last edited by mac_shinobi; 25th June 2010 at 06:51 PM.

Thank Post
    Hello Shawn

Apologies for not getting back to you yet. I've been very busy. You will get a response soon :-)

Screen Sharing simply opens port 5900 AFAIK. TBH I never bother with it preferring instead to use Remote Management. This option opens ARD Control Port 3283 which allows copying from desktop to desktop amongst other things. There are indeed some of the same settings but not all of them. Security Issues? Not really other than the normal ones you'd have to consider anyway whether access is private or public. I would only ever use a VPN for Remote Management over the Internet.

Vine is something that's been known for a long time now. It used to be mentioned every now and then over on the OSX Server Support Forums. I can't comment as I've never used it.

Antonio Rocco (ACSA)

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread