+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Mac Thread, IPad - any good for a junior school? in Technical; I have searched the forums and can find a lot of argument and chat about the ipad but very little ...

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,375 Times in 1,672 Posts

IPad - any good for a junior school?

I have searched the forums and can find a lot of argument and chat about the ipad but very little info as regards the usage of ipads in schools like ours.
    We are a junior school about to get a lovely new Ruckus network and the boss is very keen to get something 'new' to hang off it. We were looking at netbooks but now that the ipad has come out - he is practically salivating!(he has an ipod touch)
    What I need is some genuine pros and cons of the kit.
    The price is obviously an issue (the biggest one, in my eyes, but hey, I don't set the budgets). I also know about the Flash issues
    Would I be able to put it on my network so that they children can save to their area on the server? (sorry, probably stupid question, but I know NOTHING about macs and mac-type issues)
    If it couldn't be put on the network, and was used as a standalone device, what use could primary school children make of it? Obviously they could surf the net and make notes etc - but can they save stuff?
    Originally I thought we were going for something that would enable the children to use computers around the school, but now perhaps he just wants a device for information
    Serious answers please - there are enough arguments re 'apple is carp' already!!
    Last edited by witch; 23rd June 2010 at 09:04 AM.

Thank Post
    So come on, no facts anyone can help me with?

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,879 Times in 1,396 Posts
    Blog Entries
    until it has been tested for atleast a month, nobody can say anything really as it would all be conjecture.

Thank Post
    Well, yes, but what i am wondering is what people are intending to use them for - my boss doesnt really know what he could do with them

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,879 Times in 1,396 Posts
    Blog Entries
    ohhhh...just to look shiney and pretty, my boss wants them too, however I am awaiting on my trial unit to arrive, I will do a full on survey report for you if you like!

6. Thanks to nephilim from:

witch (24th June 2010)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by witch View Post
    Would I be able to put it on my network so that they children can save to their area on the server? (sorry, probably stupid question, but I know NOTHING about macs and mac-type issues)
    I don't think so. If I remember correctly, the operating system on the iPad is very similar to, if not the same as, the one on the iPod Touch which has no way of mounting network shares as far as I'm aware. As another person who doesn't really know much about Apple gear, though, I can't say for sure so please don't take my word for it

One thing to be aware of is that there is/was (I don't know whether or not it's been rectified yet) an issue with iPads not releasing addresses handed out by DHCP after their lease was up, so that's certainly something to keep an eye out for. There's a quick bit of information about it here. It may or may not cause a problem for you on your network. TidBITS Networking: Princeton University Identifies iPad DHCP Flaw

As for what to use it for, I'm not entirely sure. I didn't really see them as being of major benefit to educational institutions!

Unfortunately, I can see there being a scenario where I might have to support one or two. If I was working in a junior school and had one or two of these in with no real use, I'd probably have a look at developing some applications to run on one that would be beneficial to a school. Something like a client/server quiz application or whatever that you can set up to help with revision for tests or whatever. I'm sure I could find a use for them, but I don't think I could think of one that would warrant making the purchase, unfortunately.

Can you identify any areas within the school where staff and/or students might benefit from a device with a touch-screen interface?

At the very least, you can use it as an electronic replacement for those drywipe boards (if you use those)

I'm just waiting for someone to find a way of running Linux on one. Then I'd be able to see some real uses for them >.>

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Our demo unit arrived this week. And after just 3 days the consensus from all 4 in our IT office is that they have no use as an educational tool whatsoever.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by JHeaton View Post
    Something like a client/server quiz application or whatever that you can set up to help with revision for tests or whatever.
    Or you could buy a class set of Quizdom or similar for the price of about 3 iPads...

Thank Post
    I can't get hold of a demo unit - can anyone point me in the right direction?

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    We got ours direct from Apple..

Thank Post
    Can anyone give me a contact phone no and name? Apple websites blocked here!
    All my usual suppliers cannot get hold of an iPad ATM 'due to demand'

Thank Post
    Can anyone give me a contact phone no and name? Apple websites blocked here!
    All my usual suppliers cannot get hold of an iPad ATM 'due to demand'
    Have you got an account with your Local PC world?

They sent some for our LA to have a play with.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by enjay View Post
    Or you could buy a class set of Quizdom or similar for the price of about 3 iPads...
    Looks like an interesting product, although it isn't exactly what I had in mind when I came up with the idea.

theeldergeek
    Apple websites blocked here!
    Bad omen? Avoid the iPad maybe? You'll have a lot less grief with cheap and cheerful net/notebooks.

I just Googled "ipad on network" and got this http://helpdesk.princeton.edu/outages/view.plx?ID=3095 which might be a problem?
    Last edited by theeldergeek; 24th June 2010 at 09:54 AM.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by theeldergeek View Post
    Bad omen? Avoid the iPad maybe? You'll have a lot less grief with cheap and cheerful net/notebooks.

I just Googled "ipad on network" and got this KnowledgeBase -Office of Information Technology which might be a problem?
    I probably would avoid it at least for a while longer but the decision will not be up to me. I am quite happy to use new tech as long as a) it is going to work and b) I can see a use for it.
    * We don't have an account with PC world

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast