+ Post New Thread
Mac Thread, Heads up - Safari crash for network users - DO NOT install Safari 5 in Technical; Just a heads up - There is apparently a problem with Safari 5 and network users according to much of ...
    theeldergeek

Heads up - Safari crash for network users - DO NOT install Safari 5

Just a heads up -

There is apparently a problem with Safari 5 and network users according to much of the chatter on the Apple discussion forums.

I am unfortunately experiencing this myself.

The problem is, that any network user logging onto a machine will not be able to start Safari. It will simply 'crash' and offer to relaunch or reset. Neither works.

Local users are unaffected and Safari will work as normal.

There is a potential workaround, and that is to start Safari in "Rosetta mode" which can be accessed via the 'GET INFO' dialogue.

I believe Apple have acknowledged the problem but do not have an ETA for a fix.

Thank Post
    Hi

@theeldergeek

I don't mean to contradict or say the problem does not exist - in your environment - but it is strange? I've been using network accounts (OD environment only) successfully with Safari 5 ever since it was made available to download and I don't see any problems at all. On some laptops (early spec models) over a wireless connection the fan ramps up slightly (never did this with the previous version) and that's about it.

Additionally I've not heard anything 'official' from Apple Service Source regarding the 'problem'. As for Rosetta this would imply a backward step? Perhaps the issue lies elsewhere?

Antonio Rocco (ACSA)

theeldergeek
    Quote Originally Posted by AntonioRocco View Post
    Hi

@theeldergeek

I don't mean to contradict or say the problem does not exist - in your environment - but it is strange? I've been using network accounts (OD environment only) successfully with Safari 5 ever since it was made available to download and I don't see any problems at all. On some laptops (early spec models) over a wireless connection the fan ramps up slightly (never did this with the previous version) and that's about it.

Additionally I've not heard anything 'official' from Apple Service Source regarding the 'problem'. As for Rosetta this would imply a backward step? Perhaps the issue lies elsewhere?

Antonio Rocco (ACSA)
    Hi Antonio - definitely chatter on the Mac forums about this - Apple - Support - Discussions - Safari 5.0 crash ,Safari does't open ... and also Apple - Support - Discussions - Safari 5 crash for network users ... (which is my post), also http://discussions.apple.com/thread....1484&tstart=15 - and it is only occurring on machines with S5 installed. We have an OD environment too. The problem first appeared on my own machine and I thought it was something exclusive to my machine. I went so far as to erase the drive and re-install 10.5.8 only to find the problem hadn't gone away. I've tried various user accounts all with the same result - but local logins work fine.

All client machines with S4 still installed work fine, local or network. I'm not going to risk updating any more client machines at the moment.

It potentially could be something my end, but then again, it could be anything, and as nothing has changed on the network that I know about, I wouldn't know where to start looking!

Just found another thread on the matter - http://discussions.info.apple.com/th...art=0&start=15 - so it sounds like its something bigger than a local problem.
    Last edited by theeldergeek; 15th June 2010 at 02:58 PM.

4. Thanks to theeldergeek from:

AntonioRocco (15th June 2010)

Thank Post
    Hi

There's definitely something odd going on and yes I agree there are some threads regarding this. However there are some differences. I'm using 10.6 and I don't see the problem. You're using 10.5 and you are. Something that Apple needs to address I think?

Antonio Rocco (ACSA)

theeldergeek
    Quote Originally Posted by AntonioRocco View Post
    Hi

There's definitely something odd going on and yes I agree there are some threads regarding this. However there are some differences. I'm using 10.6 and I don't see the problem. You're using 10.5 and you are. Something that Apple needs to address I think?
    Yes, users on 10.6 aren't reporting issues; it's only 10.5.8 that seems to have the problem.
    Did read somewhere that a "Radar" ticket had been opened, whatever that is?

Hopefully Apple will sort it. In the interim, no more software updates for my clients!

Thank Post
    I could deploy the camino browser until the issue is resolved. IIRC camino uses the proxy settings of the OS so no need to fiddle with anything extra. May help in the interim. You could of course use firefox, but I 'm not sure if you can manage the proxy settings on that.

theeldergeek
    Quote Originally Posted by HodgeHi View Post
    I could deploy the camino browser until the issue is resolved. IIRC camino uses the proxy settings of the OS so no need to fiddle with anything extra. May help in the interim. You could of course use firefox, but I 'm not sure if you can manage the proxy settings on that.
    Yes, got Camino on my own machine (or did have before I erased it!) but as my clients are all still using S4 for the moment, I'm not going to do any updates just yet. It was my own machine on which I first noticed a problem and then it became apparent how widespread it actually was.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,754 Times in 1,512 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Hi,

I dont use Safari. I just used it the odd time on my Mac. Instead i use firefox.

Since i have upgraded it does crash allot. This is a standalone machine not on a network.

theeldergeek
    Quote Originally Posted by theeldergeek View Post
    Hopefully Apple will sort it. In the interim, no more software updates for my clients!
    I fixed my own client machine by running terminal and typing :

defaults write com.apple.Safari WebIconDatabaseEnabled -bool NO

Restarted Safari and all is well.

Not going to bother with updating clients just yet.

Thank Post
    Safari 5.0.1 is out ; apparently the problems are fixed.

12. Thanks to techtopia from:

FN-GM (29th July 2010)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by techtopia View Post
    Safari 5.0.1 is out ; apparently the problems are fixed.
    Tested and it does

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread