+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Mac Thread, Mount specific folder on desktop in Technical; I am looking for a way to mount a specific folder (or alias to said folder) on users desktop. The ...
    theeldergeek

Mount specific folder on desktop

I am looking for a way to mount a specific folder (or alias to said folder) on users desktop.

The folder will be one of those in the users home drive, i.e. music, so is available via Finder, but it needs to appear on the desktop at login.

I've 'mapped' network drives to groups, so when anyone in that group logs in, they see a couple of mounted shares, but the way I want to do it, is to create a group, and for that group, the same folder in each users home drive gets mounted rather than have to configure each users account to mount the folder.

So, when User1 logs in, his music drive is mounted on the desktop, the same for User2 and so on, but done at a group level, not account level.

Make sense? How?
    Last edited by theeldergeek; 14th June 2010 at 10:14 AM.

Thank Post
    What method are you using currently to map the shared drives? Not to throw any more complications into the arena but could you assign an Automator sequence to your group in order to map their "~/Music" drive at logon?

Michael

theeldergeek
    Quote Originally Posted by mcheung0 View Post
    What method are you using currently to map the shared drives? Not to throw any more complications into the arena but could you assign an Automator sequence to your group in order to map their "~/Music" drive at logon?

Michael
    I'm using WGM which for each group under PREFS > LOGIN > ITEMS is "ALWAYS" managed and has the respective shares shown in the list.

Automator is something I've yet to master
    Would this be fairly straightforward?

I presume there is no way to do this using WGM then; it does seem to only allow specific shares to be added rather than per user.

I'm glad you seem to have grasped what I want to do as I really didn't think I had explained it that well!

Thank Post
    If I understand it right you want to automate the process of mounting a folder or a shortcut to the desktop for each user in a group - if not then i haven't grasped it! haha

I am not familiar with workgroup manager as I don't have OSX Server but if I understand correctly, it allows you to manage what would be 'group policy' objects on a microsoft server environment -

Apple Automator similarly to VBScript allows you to automate tasks such as logon/logoff scripts and it can be done with a kind of WYSIWYG editing format - so for instance to map a folder you would set click drop-down box 1 to open Finder tools, then drop-down box 2 to select 'connect to server' etc. - But of course there is the ability to script processes to maintain efficiency

I'm going to stab a guess that WGM allows integration of Automator files/scripts but I might be wrong and my 2 and 2 together are making 3... haha

Anyway if it does indeed let you execute Automator files then somewhere in the process you would set the folder mounting path to "~/Desktop" and the user's folder to "~/Music" so that your username becomes the variable (~ tilde is used for 'home' variable) and thus the automator file can be run by any of the users in the group to achieve the same outcome

Thanks

5. Thanks to mcheung0 from:

theeldergeek
    Quote Originally Posted by mcheung0 View Post
    If I understand it right you want to automate the process of mounting a folder or a shortcut to the desktop for each user in a group - if not then i haven't grasped it! haha

I am not familiar with workgroup manager as I don't have OSX Server but if I understand correctly, it allows you to manage what would be 'group policy' objects on a microsoft server environment -

Apple Automator similarly to VBScript allows you to automate tasks such as logon/logoff scripts and it can be done with a kind of WYSIWYG editing format - so for instance to map a folder you would set click drop-down box 1 to open Finder tools, then drop-down box 2 to select 'connect to server' etc. - But of course there is the ability to script processes to maintain efficiency

I'm going to stab a guess that WGM allows integration of Automator files/scripts but I might be wrong and my 2 and 2 together are making 3... haha

Anyway if it does indeed let you execute Automator files then somewhere in the process you would set the folder mounting path to "~/Desktop" and the user's folder to "~/Music" so that your username becomes the variable (~ tilde is used for 'home' variable) and thus the automator file can be run by any of the users in the group to achieve the same outcome

Thanks
    The folder I want to mount is each individual's own <insert name> folder, in this instance their individual music folder. It's for a music exam, so rather than them have to go via Finder, it would be good to have it located on the desktop, ready for access. It would be good to be able to change the folder that appears 'on the fly', so automator may be the way to go here.

I have no idea if WGM allows integration of Automator tasks though - this is something I will need to explore.

Useful info about ~tilde by the way, that may smooth things through if I am able to enter that as a home variable.

Thanks so far. If I have success, I will of course post back.
    Last edited by theeldergeek; 14th June 2010 at 08:38 PM.

Thank Post
    ive got this script running for every suer on login (i just saved it under applications) (though it does seem to add every time you run it filling up desktop with folders

Code:
    set MyName to do shell script "whoami"
    tell application "Finder"
    try
    mount volume "smb://server.domain.local/" & MyName & "$"
    do shell script "ln -s /Volumes/" & MyName & "$ ~/Desktop"
    end try
    try
    mount volume "smb://server.domain.local/" & "resources$"
    do shell script "ln -s /Volumes/" & "resources$" & " ~/Desktop"
    end try
    try
    mount volume "smb://server.domain.local/" & "multimedia$"
    do shell script "ln -s /Volumes/" & "resources$" & " ~/Desktop"
    end try
    end tell

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,834 Times in 2,093 Posts
    If the shortcut doesn't have to be on the desktop, couldn't you just add the ~\Music folder to the dock preferences for the group of users doing the exam in WGM?

theeldergeek
    Quote Originally Posted by Arthur View Post
    If the shortcut doesn't have to be on the desktop, couldn't you just add the ~\Music folder to the dock preferences for the group of users doing the exam in WGM?
    Forgot about the Dock! How would I specify the folder? I can only + or - in WGM, no option to specify with a ~ or anything. I can obviously add the "Documents" folder to the Dock, but I am trying to get a specific folder to appear to ensure candidates on the exam aren't rooting around trying to find what they need. I can't use a normal share, as they need RW access to the files, which could be very problematic if several users are accessing them at the same time.
    Last edited by theeldergeek; 15th June 2010 at 09:38 AM.

Thank Post
    See if this works.

Log in as a user in the group. Drag the Music folder onto your dock and then in the plist edit the the line for the music folder to read ~/Music. Once this is done then add the plist to the list of managed preferences.

Alternatively, maybe you could create a launchd using lingon and use the script provided above by sted. Copy the script into a location and hide it and then configure lingon to call the script as part of the launchd process on login?

11. Thanks to HodgeHi from:

theeldergeek
    @Hodgehi

I'll give it a try and let you know how I get on - thanks.

theeldergeek
    Quote Originally Posted by Arthur View Post
    Going to be working on this tomorrow, will post how I get on.

Thank Post
    Apologies for the delay getting back to you. HodgeHi's method was what I was going to suggest. We have different Dock plist's setup for Art, Music, Media, Exams & Evening Classes with each one containing different icons/shortcuts for each group. It works really well.

theeldergeek
    Give me a clue where I am going to find the plist

Thank Post
    The file you need to look for is: ~/Library/Preferences/com.apple.dock.plist

If you ever want to make changes to the plist in the future you can also use Apple's Property List Editor (which is bundled with their Xcode developer tools package).

17. Thanks to Arthur from:

Thank Post
    By the way, if you end up with duplicate copies of the Downloads and Documents folders in your Dock(s) you will need to remove these entries from your com.apple.dock.plist file using the Property List Editor. You should find each icon/shortcut is listed as a separate "Item" under the "persistent-others" section which controls the right-hand side of the Dock.
    Last edited by Arthur; 15th June 2010 at 08:31 PM.

19. Thanks to Arthur from:

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast