+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 16
Mac Thread, Which Mac to buy (First time mac user!!!) in Technical; ...
  1. #1

    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    33
    Thank Post
    16
    Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
    Rep Power
    16

    Which Mac to buy (First time mac user!!!)

    I would like some help as I'm going to buy a Mac to learn more about them and for a bit of iphone programming . Which model whould be best. Not looking to spend more then £1000 ex vat.

    I'm thinking of a Mac book as don't have the space for another monitor on my desk :-)

    Anyone got any ideas?

    Ste

  2. #2

    tmcd35's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Norfolk
    Posts
    6,053
    Thank Post
    896
    Thanked 1,008 Times in 821 Posts
    Blog Entries
    9
    Rep Power
    349
    If all you want is to 'learn a bit more about them' and do a bit of 'iphone programming in XCode' then I'd be be looking at a second hand intel Mac Mini on e-Bay. Then if you get on with it upgrade to something newer, bigger, better once you know more of what you want.

  3. Thanks to tmcd35 from:

    sfoord (10th June 2010)

  4. #3


    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    3,414
    Thank Post
    184
    Thanked 356 Times in 285 Posts
    Rep Power
    149
    If you get it from the education store you will just get a macbook with 4gb and 3yrs warrenty. The only thing cheaper is the mini - so theres your options really.

  5. #4

    JJonas's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    North Walsham, Norfolk
    Posts
    3,204
    Thank Post
    417
    Thanked 450 Times in 335 Posts
    Rep Power
    389
    I dont know about MAC's but I have a Samsung 940MW monitor on my desk at home which has VGA and DVI input. So maybe a desktop MAC and a monitor upgrade might be an idea.

  6. Thanks to JJonas from:

    sfoord (10th June 2010)

  7. #5

    localzuk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Minehead
    Posts
    18,496
    Thank Post
    526
    Thanked 2,638 Times in 2,042 Posts
    Blog Entries
    24
    Rep Power
    895
    Quote Originally Posted by JJonas View Post
    I dont know about MAC's but I have a Samsung 940MW monitor on my desk at home which has VGA and DVI input. So maybe a desktop MAC and a monitor upgrade might be an idea.
    Personally, I'd go for an iMac - with its built in screen. They are really superb machines, and you can just about get one for < £1000.

  8. #6

    JJonas's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    North Walsham, Norfolk
    Posts
    3,204
    Thank Post
    417
    Thanked 450 Times in 335 Posts
    Rep Power
    389
    or a refurb

  9. #7
    soveryapt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Lancashire
    Posts
    2,436
    Thank Post
    672
    Thanked 279 Times in 246 Posts
    Rep Power
    78
    You should be able to just about get a MacBook Pro 13" for under the £1000 through the education store, but if you wanted the Apple care then obviously this would take you to the £1104 mark.

    Personally, if you already have a monitor etc in place, I'd be looking to get a MacMini and a KVM switch perhaps?

    When I went for my first Mac, I got a MacBook and it's been great. I wanted to buy bigger and better, but it's done all I've needed of it (Graphic Design with Adobe CS, Music and Video Production using the onboard tools and occassionaly Cubase, DJing with both Virtual DJ and MegaSeg later on) and it's coped well, so if you want portability and a toy to play with, go for the MacBook, if you want something portable and can afford the little bit extra, I'd definitely point you in the direction of a MacBook Pro 13", if you're not bothered about it being portable, a MacMini with a KVM to plug into your existing setup.

    All the above are more than adequate for what you've stated your needs are, and more besides.

  10. #8

    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    33
    Thank Post
    16
    Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
    Rep Power
    16
    The mini Mac is a really good idea I hadn't thought about!!! My desktop monitor does have a DVI input. I know this might be a really stupid question, but what's the difference between the mini mac’s and Macbook besides the size?

    @j17sparky I was looking at ebuyer and the does seem to be quite a few models of Macbooks & Macbook pro for under £1000 ex vat Cheap Apple Laptop |Apple Laptop Deals | Buy Apple Laptop - Ebuyer.com

    Ste

  11. #9
    OllieC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Derby/Birmingham
    Posts
    187
    Thank Post
    17
    Thanked 16 Times in 10 Posts
    Rep Power
    14
    If buying it from Apple, buy it with the smallest amount of RAM possible... they stupidly overcharge for RAM and it never voids your warranty upgrading it yourself afaik.

  12. #10
    soveryapt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Lancashire
    Posts
    2,436
    Thank Post
    672
    Thanked 279 Times in 246 Posts
    Rep Power
    78
    Quote Originally Posted by sfoord View Post
    The mini Mac is a really good idea I hadn't thought about!!! My desktop monitor does have a DVI input. I know this might be a really stupid question, but what's the difference between the mini mac’s and Macbook besides the size?[/url]

    Ste
    The MacMini basically (as far as I can see having played with the odd one) uses very similar components, but as you're not paying for the screen / keyboard / touchpad it comes cheaper.

    They work really well (my wifes eldest son has one and it's a really nice machine).

  13. #11
    OllieC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Derby/Birmingham
    Posts
    187
    Thank Post
    17
    Thanked 16 Times in 10 Posts
    Rep Power
    14
    Quote Originally Posted by aptproductions View Post
    The MacMini basically (as far as I can see having played with the odd one) uses very similar components, but as you're not paying for the screen / keyboard / touchpad it comes cheaper.

    They work really well (my wifes eldest son has one and it's a really nice machine).
    They're just a b**ch to open up... had to get DT teacher to make me a tool to open up school's. xD

  14. #12
    soveryapt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Lancashire
    Posts
    2,436
    Thank Post
    672
    Thanked 279 Times in 246 Posts
    Rep Power
    78
    Quote Originally Posted by OllieC View Post
    They're just a b**ch to open up... had to get DT teacher to make me a tool to open up school's. xD
    Well yeah, but isn't that the same for all Apple Products? lol ..

  15. #13
    OllieC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Derby/Birmingham
    Posts
    187
    Thank Post
    17
    Thanked 16 Times in 10 Posts
    Rep Power
    14
    Quote Originally Posted by aptproductions View Post
    Well yeah, but isn't that the same for all Apple Products? lol ..
    At least you can use screwdrivers for the rest of them. :P I've got one of my school's 12" Powerbooks on my bedroom floor at the moment... it needed a new backlight inverter. I had to remove EVERY component from it just to take the screen off. It's horrible to put back together, there's little channels in the framework for wires and it's just a horrible mess. xD (http://i50.tinypic.com/291j4fb.jpg *stab stab stab*)
    Anywho, I'll stop hijacking this thread now. :P

    I agree a mac mini would be a sensible route to take, one of our DT teachers got a second hand intel one off ebay to use for xcode and it didn't cost him too much.

  16. #14
    soveryapt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Lancashire
    Posts
    2,436
    Thank Post
    672
    Thanked 279 Times in 246 Posts
    Rep Power
    78
    Quote Originally Posted by OllieC View Post
    At least you can use screwdrivers for the rest of them. :P I've got one of my school's 12" Powerbooks on my bedroom floor at the moment... it needed a new backlight inverter. I had to remove EVERY component from it just to take the screen off. It's horrible to put back together, there's little channels in the framework for wires and it's just a horrible mess. xD (http://i50.tinypic.com/291j4fb.jpg *stab stab stab*)
    Anywho, I'll stop hijacking this thread now. :P

    I agree a mac mini would be a sensible route to take, one of our DT teachers got a second hand intel one off ebay to use for xcode and it didn't cost him too much.
    It's fun to take something to pieces though yeah? lol .. It's how we learn! lol ..

  17. #15
    JPS
    JPS is offline
    JPS's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Chelmsford
    Posts
    293
    Thank Post
    91
    Thanked 44 Times in 40 Posts
    Rep Power
    13
    Quote Originally Posted by sfoord View Post
    The mini Mac is a really good idea I hadn't thought about!!! My desktop monitor does have a DVI input. I know this might be a really stupid question, but what's the difference between the mini mac’s and Macbook besides the size?

    Ste
    Er, isnt that a smaller version of the Big Mac, I refer to it as a cheeseburger.



SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Mac Update Service (WSUS 4 MAC)
    By nathanlivesey in forum Mac
    Replies: 21
    Last Post: 14th October 2009, 11:18 PM
  2. Replies: 7
    Last Post: 28th August 2009, 12:20 AM
  3. Running Mac OSX virtually on a mac
    By rolfea in forum Mac
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 22nd May 2009, 05:19 PM
  4. mac 10.4 user permissions
    By choran in forum Mac
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 11th December 2007, 05:39 PM
  5. Choosing which Mac to buy
    By Ric_ in forum Mac
    Replies: 21
    Last Post: 18th February 2006, 09:27 AM

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •