+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Mac Thread, Which Mac to buy (First time mac user!!!) in Technical; ...

Thank Post

Which Mac to buy (First time mac user!!!)

I would like some help as I'm going to buy a Mac to learn more about them and for a bit of iphone programming . Which model whould be best. Not looking to spend more then £1000 ex vat.

I'm thinking of a Mac book as don't have the space for another monitor on my desk :-)

Anyone got any ideas?

Ste

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,008 Times in 821 Posts
    Blog Entries
    If all you want is to 'learn a bit more about them' and do a bit of 'iphone programming in XCode' then I'd be be looking at a second hand intel Mac Mini on e-Bay. Then if you get on with it upgrade to something newer, bigger, better once you know more of what you want.

3. Thanks to tmcd35 from:

sfoord (10th June 2010)

Thank Post
    If you get it from the education store you will just get a macbook with 4gb and 3yrs warrenty. The only thing cheaper is the mini - so theres your options really.

Thank Post
    I dont know about MAC's but I have a Samsung 940MW monitor on my desk at home which has VGA and DVI input. So maybe a desktop MAC and a monitor upgrade might be an idea.

6. Thanks to JJonas from:

sfoord (10th June 2010)

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,638 Times in 2,042 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by JJonas View Post
    I dont know about MAC's but I have a Samsung 940MW monitor on my desk at home which has VGA and DVI input. So maybe a desktop MAC and a monitor upgrade might be an idea.
    Personally, I'd go for an iMac - with its built in screen. They are really superb machines, and you can just about get one for < £1000.

Thank Post
    or a refurb

Thank Post
    You should be able to just about get a MacBook Pro 13" for under the £1000 through the education store, but if you wanted the Apple care then obviously this would take you to the £1104 mark.

Personally, if you already have a monitor etc in place, I'd be looking to get a MacMini and a KVM switch perhaps?

When I went for my first Mac, I got a MacBook and it's been great. I wanted to buy bigger and better, but it's done all I've needed of it (Graphic Design with Adobe CS, Music and Video Production using the onboard tools and occassionaly Cubase, DJing with both Virtual DJ and MegaSeg later on) and it's coped well, so if you want portability and a toy to play with, go for the MacBook, if you want something portable and can afford the little bit extra, I'd definitely point you in the direction of a MacBook Pro 13", if you're not bothered about it being portable, a MacMini with a KVM to plug into your existing setup.

All the above are more than adequate for what you've stated your needs are, and more besides.

Thank Post
    The mini Mac is a really good idea I hadn't thought about!!! My desktop monitor does have a DVI input. I know this might be a really stupid question, but what's the difference between the mini mac’s and Macbook besides the size?

@j17sparky I was looking at ebuyer and the does seem to be quite a few models of Macbooks & Macbook pro for under £1000 ex vat Cheap Apple Laptop |Apple Laptop Deals | Buy Apple Laptop - Ebuyer.com

Ste

Thank Post
    If buying it from Apple, buy it with the smallest amount of RAM possible... they stupidly overcharge for RAM and it never voids your warranty upgrading it yourself afaik.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by sfoord View Post
    The mini Mac is a really good idea I hadn't thought about!!! My desktop monitor does have a DVI input. I know this might be a really stupid question, but what's the difference between the mini mac’s and Macbook besides the size?[/url]

Ste
    The MacMini basically (as far as I can see having played with the odd one) uses very similar components, but as you're not paying for the screen / keyboard / touchpad it comes cheaper.

They work really well (my wifes eldest son has one and it's a really nice machine).

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by aptproductions View Post
    The MacMini basically (as far as I can see having played with the odd one) uses very similar components, but as you're not paying for the screen / keyboard / touchpad it comes cheaper.

They work really well (my wifes eldest son has one and it's a really nice machine).
    They're just a b**ch to open up... had to get DT teacher to make me a tool to open up school's. xD

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by OllieC View Post
    They're just a b**ch to open up... had to get DT teacher to make me a tool to open up school's. xD
    Well yeah, but isn't that the same for all Apple Products? lol ..

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by aptproductions View Post
    Well yeah, but isn't that the same for all Apple Products? lol ..
    At least you can use screwdrivers for the rest of them. :P I've got one of my school's 12" Powerbooks on my bedroom floor at the moment... it needed a new backlight inverter. I had to remove EVERY component from it just to take the screen off. It's horrible to put back together, there's little channels in the framework for wires and it's just a horrible mess. xD (http://i50.tinypic.com/291j4fb.jpg *stab stab stab*)
    Anywho, I'll stop hijacking this thread now. :P

I agree a mac mini would be a sensible route to take, one of our DT teachers got a second hand intel one off ebay to use for xcode and it didn't cost him too much.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by OllieC View Post
    At least you can use screwdrivers for the rest of them. :P I've got one of my school's 12" Powerbooks on my bedroom floor at the moment... it needed a new backlight inverter. I had to remove EVERY component from it just to take the screen off. It's horrible to put back together, there's little channels in the framework for wires and it's just a horrible mess. xD (http://i50.tinypic.com/291j4fb.jpg *stab stab stab*)
    Anywho, I'll stop hijacking this thread now. :P

I agree a mac mini would be a sensible route to take, one of our DT teachers got a second hand intel one off ebay to use for xcode and it didn't cost him too much.
    It's fun to take something to pieces though yeah? lol .. It's how we learn! lol ..

JPS
    Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by sfoord View Post
    The mini Mac is a really good idea I hadn't thought about!!! My desktop monitor does have a DVI input. I know this might be a really stupid question, but what's the difference between the mini mac’s and Macbook besides the size?

Ste
    Er, isnt that a smaller version of the Big Mac, I refer to it as a cheeseburger.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast