+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Mac Thread, First time owner, getting started tips please! in Technical; Hey EduGeek has had to purchase a mac for the obvois reason of iPhone development (can only be done with ...

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,334 Times in 814 Posts
    Blog Entries

First time owner, getting started tips please!

Hey
    EduGeek has had to purchase a mac for the obvois reason of iPhone development (can only be done with osx) and I have just got it booted.
    Now as a long time windows user has anyone got any tips (literally any noob tips) that would help ease the usage of the mac?
    So far I like the hardware but getting used to osx is quite interesting to say the least. I was quite surprised by the size of all the updates I had to install (650mb!) on boot since so many have made issue of windows getting a lot of patches.
    One thing, safari and the word style red squiggles, it seems rather hit and miss with the trackpad and attempting to right click. A lot of the time I seem to end up just highlighting the word.
    Just trying to link it with my w7 boxes but its taking a bit of effort so far.
    Last edited by ZeroHour; 9th June 2010 at 06:34 PM. Reason: Figured some more things out thus removed some bits

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Also is it normal for them to be nuclear hot underneath?
    Starting to get into the trackpad with multiple fingers now.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,068 Times in 625 Posts
    Do yourself a favour - put it back in the box, send / take it back and get a refund - it will save you a world of pain.

4. Thanks to mattx from:

dwhyte85 (9th June 2010)

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by mattx View Post
    Do yourself a favour - put it back in the box, send / take it back and get a refund - it will save you a world of pain.
    LOL I feel Lord Jobs baited breath on the back of my neck though.... his evil approaches

Thank Post
    Hi

@ZeroHour

Apple - Find Out How - Mac Basics

Although understandable it would be a mistake to approach using OSX as if it were Windows. You're just going to have to learn how to get out of your comfort zone a little.

Antonio Rocco (ACSA)

7. Thanks to AntonioRocco from:

ZeroHour (9th June 2010)

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,068 Times in 625 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ZeroHour View Post
    LOL I feel Lord Jobs baited breath on the back of my neck though.... his evil approaches
    You do know as well you are now responsible for at least 4 dead kittens ? Shame on you.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Unfortunatly very normal. Apple are crap at hardware (except iPhone - Foxconn whip enough child workers to build them correctly). They purposly reduce the fan speed to reduce noise. Just don't try doing any video editing or DVD ripping or it'll overheat and turn itself off.

Search the web, you can get some freebie apps to adjust the fan speed and correct the problem.

Quote Originally Posted by mattx View Post
    You do know as well you are now responsible for at least 4 dead kittens ? Shame on you.
    I'm buying the new iPhone ASAP - please tell me that's worth more than just 4 kittens

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,729 Times in 1,492 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I use mac more than windows now..

First thing i would do is install FireFox.
    Something to get used to is when you press the X to close a program it closes the window but leaves the program running. If you are not going to use it again right click the icon in the dock and press Quit.

I have never had a problem with fan noise on my macs

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    I should probably have mentioned its a mac book pro in the original post. I am slightly shocked that laptops this expensive could overheat and cut out.
    I am struggling right now with xcode and trying to get the damn frames (god I wish there was a windows style app framed mode) that seem to want me to rearrange them all the time, tips?

As for kittens, ha ha ha meow now kitty! I am a PC (while holding a kitten), I am a Mac (while strangling PC's kitten)

EDIT: Quick q, in windows there is a shortcut for opening a link in a new tab using the mouse (scroll wheel click) is there a similar on the mac?
    Last edited by ZeroHour; 9th June 2010 at 08:14 PM.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    I should probably have mentioned its a mac book pro in the original post. I am slightly shocked that laptops this expensive could overheat and cut out.
    So was I (shocked that is). Sort out the heating problem ASAP. If you don't then the aluminium case will warp and you'll have no end of problems getting discs out of the DVD drive. Do a search, it's a very common problem. You'll find talk of using double sided tape wrapped around a business card inserted into the DVD slot in order to grab the disc and remove it! Shoddy build quality!

Also take great care of the PSU. The 'magsafe' adaptor isn't all it's cracked up to be! They tend to come apart were the cable joins the magsafe. Got a loud bang off of one once. Went through three PSU's at £75 each before getting rid off the laptop.

I've got a school supplied Tosh Sat Pro with Windows 7 at the moment. The Laptop itself is a million times better than the MacBook. The school paid around £600-700 inc. hard drive and RAM upgrade, compares to the £1500 I paid for the MacBook Pro.

I really, really, really miss OS X though. As good as Window 7 is (for Windows), it's utter tripe compared to OS X.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Oooh, before I forget - how about a useful top tip...

Find your applications folder on your hard drive. Got it? good. Now drag and drop that folder anywhere on the Dock bar at the bottom. I prefer next to the recycle bin (that's NEXT to NOT on top off).

Ahhhh - bliss. You know have your Windowesque start menu back

14. Thanks to tmcd35 from:

john (9th June 2010)

Thank Post
    I am struggling right now with xcode and trying to get the damn frames (god I wish there was a windows style app framed mode) that seem to want me to rearrange them all the time, tips?
    Overheat and cut out ... i think someone's told you a porky ... i've got a 2008 blackbook ( last model before they went to the unibody ones) i've encoded videos and played C&C3 on it and it's not once cut out!

I would recommend google chrome over firefox and safari, also make sure you change your trackpad settings

two finger scroll rocks.

CMD + Shift + 4 will enable screen grab mode where you can select an area of the screen to take a screenshot
    Last edited by DanW; 9th June 2010 at 08:31 PM.

Thank Post
     & T for new tabs in safari.

Most other Windows shortcuts work as well i.e.  and tab key allows you to cycle through the open applications.

To enable sharing for Windows users you need to enable the SMB option. System Prefs >Sharing >File Sharing >Options >Share files and folders using SMB (Windows)

But you may know this already.

Also take a look at the tutorials for XCode. They may point you in the right direction.

Also you may want to set up Spaces and Expose to allow for easier use if using just one screen. (virtual desktops like Linux)

Thank Post
    Starting to get into the trackpad with multiple fingers now.
    What is the laptop sitting on? If you are using it on your lap, make sure that the vent at the rear is not covered. The vent for the airflow goes right across the back of the macbook pro where the screen hinges. Anything blocking this vent can result in increased heat. Also if you use it on a material such as a duvet or blanket then it can act as an insulator. Apple tend to use the body of the laptops as a sort of passive heatsink i think. Seems to get hot enough to feel that way.

And if you do anything using flash that will ramp up the fans and make your macbook pro fry. Youtube especially.

I have never managed to get used to the glass trackpad myself. The trackpad may also need to wear in a little too. My other halfs was quite stiff at first.

theeldergeek
    Quote Originally Posted by AntonioRocco View Post
    Although understandable it would be a mistake to approach using OSX as if it were Windows. You're just going to have to learn how to get out of your comfort zone a little.
    Abso-bloody-lutely! I was thrown into a Mac environment a little under 2 years ago after being in a Windows environment for the best part of 15 years. I just had to move out of my comfort zone like the man says - frustrating at first, but I'm at relative peace with the Mac world now.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast