+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Mac Thread, Installing old OS on new kit in Technical; Hi @theeldergeek "I have also been told, you can't run server tools 10.6 on a 10.5 machine, but I need ...
    Thank Post
    Hi

@theeldergeek

"I have also been told, you can't run server tools 10.6 on a 10.5 machine, but I need to check this out"

This is correct:

Mac OS X Server: Admin tools compatibility information

However you can VNC from a 10.5 Machine to a 10.6 Client or Server that has the Admin tools installed and use them that way. You don't necessarily need ARD as VNC Server and Client is built into 10.5 and 10.6 Server and Client OS. You can VNC from any browser by keying in the url field vnc://IPaddressofRemoteClientyou'reinterestedin. Alternatively you can use the "Connect to Server" option from the Go Menu. Again key in vnc://IPaddressofRemoteClientyou'reinterestedin. Finally you could navigate to /System/Library/CoreServices/Screen Sharing and drop the application's icon into the Dock. In 10.6 Server the Server Setup Assistant automatically does this for you when completing the initial configuration.

It's been some time but you should also be able to do the same from a 10.4 Machine that has ARD 3.x installed. Ideally WorkGroup Manager is best utilized when installed on a Client OS.

Antonio Rocco (ACSA)

2. Thanks to AntonioRocco from:

theeldergeek
    Quote Originally Posted by HodgeHi View Post
    You cannot install a version of OS X that precedes new machines. The drivers (usually Graphics) are not on the CD/DVD for the newer hardware. OS X requires these drivers to allow it to boot into the GUI required for install.

You can image a machine with an earlier version, but only if the image has been updated to the latest build. This usually has the newer drivers added (usually as part of a .x increment).

Since the airport hardware is the same there should be no issues with this. Not sure about the nvidia drivers for though. Although it shouldn't be an issue as that is what i have done here. I run the (alu edu) imacs using 10.5.8 connected and managed to the OD and AD.
    I tried this, running a 10.5.8 image on a machine shipped with 10.6, but I got a 'weird' verbose boot sequence no matter what I did to reset NVRAM etc. At that point, it concerned me as to what else 'under the bonnet' was going to act a little strange. The OS loaded fine, and I couldn't see any problems, but that isn't to say there wasn't something hidden which was going to break at a critical moment in 6 months.

theeldergeek
    I note that I can download Quicktime 7.6.6 from here QuickTime Player 7.6.6 for Mac OS X v10.6.3 which might be enough for me to get by on this occasion. The machines are generally only for using Final Cut Express, of which QT plays quite a big part, so if I can get the same version of QT as my WGM can manage, then I'll be most of the way there.

theeldergeek
    Quote Originally Posted by AntonioRocco View Post

However you can VNC from a 10.5 Machine to a 10.6 Client or Server that has the Admin tools installed and use them that way.
    Yes, I frequently VNC in from my Windows box to our xserve, so familiar with this. I just like the 'central management' side of things, i.e. 1 x WGM looking after all my clients machines. The way I see it, and the way Apple have told me it must be done, is to run different versions of WGM on the respective clients. It's more of an inconvenience to me personally than anything, but I guess I'm just going to have to get on with it.

Thank Post
    If the application paths are an inconvenience due to slightly different locations when creating dock items, you can always create a symbolic link to the new location. I did this to get iwork 08 and 09 running from the same icons on the few 10.6 machines we have.

theeldergeek
    Quote Originally Posted by DMcCoy View Post
    If the application paths are an inconvenience due to slightly different locations when creating dock items, you can always create a symbolic link to the new location. I did this to get iwork 08 and 09 running from the same icons on the few 10.6 machines we have.
    Wish it was just locations, it's program/application versions that are different.

Thank Post
    Not sure if this would work, but maybe just create an item in the location required an just rename it to whatever.app This may be enough to add it to the WGM.

theeldergeek
    Quote Originally Posted by HodgeHi View Post
    Not sure if this would work, but maybe just create an item in the location required an just rename it to whatever.app This may be enough to add it to the WGM.
    I could give that a try, nice idea. I downloaded and installed WGM 10.6 yesterday and installed it on the 10.6 clients. Everything was fine and it didn't seem to have any adverse effects on the 10.5 clients.

Thank Post
    I just use a USB stick with a copy of 10.5 and 10.6 WGM depending on the build i wish to manage, OD where managed preferences are concerned is essentially just a store for information (the plists) it doesn't care what that information is.

So you can manage 10.5 clients with a 10.6 server, and 10.6 clients with a 10.5 server without issue there are obviously newer MCX that only the 10.6 clients will understand but thats just progress. The 10.5 OD will store all the functionality as far as MCX is concerned of 10.6.

As always.. im not sure Apple will support this and you can never mix 10.5 and 10.6 servers in a OD master / replica situation.

Tom

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12