+ Post New Thread
Mac Thread, Software updates 10.5 on xserve, 10.6 on client? in Technical; My xserve is running 10.5.8 but a new client iMac machine I have just installed is running 10.6 All my ...
    theeldergeek

Software updates 10.5 on xserve, 10.6 on client?

My xserve is running 10.5.8 but a new client iMac machine I have just installed is running 10.6

All my other clients are running 10.5.8 and software updates are done via the xserve

Will the new client 10.6 have to get software updates directly from Apple due to the xserve not 'collecting' software updates for anything other than its own version of the OS, or does the xserve pick up updates and farm them out regardless?

Thank Post
    Yep. Your 10.5 Server won't pull down the 10.6 updates. My Advice? Upgrade your server if you can. I recently upgraded mine and the server generally behaves better than it did on 10.5.8. Also now 64 bit which allows it to utilise more RAM and more threads (important for AFP).

The cost for an unlimited client version of OS X Server 10.6 run us to the tune of .... £179

theeldergeek
    Quote Originally Posted by HodgeHi View Post
    Yep. Your 10.5 Server won't pull down the 10.6 updates. My Advice? Upgrade your server if you can. I recently upgraded mine and the server generally behaves better than it did on 10.5.8. Also now 64 bit which allows it to utilise more RAM and more threads (important for AFP).

The cost for an unlimited client version of OS X Server 10.6 run us to the tune of .... £179
    Will 10.6.* still update 10.5.8 clients as well as 10.6.* clients?

And how did you secure that pricing? Was it a simple upgrade, or a complete re-install? I really, really do not want to have to rebuild our xserve!

Thank Post
    Hi

There is a way to 'hack' a 10.5 Server and 'fool' the SUS into thinking it's a 10.6 SUS and serve updates to supported client OS:

Apple - Support - Discussions - Can 10.5.8 Server serve 10.6 updates ...

It's worth a try but be advised as it does not work in every case.

"Will 10.6.* still update 10.5.8 clients as well as 10.6.* clients?"

Yes. Not only that it will also 'serve' updates to 10.4 clients. Any SU Service will 'serve' updates to any version of the client OS from 10.4 onwards. But only for common updates. Applications such as Safari, iTunes, Quicktime etc for example. A 10.4 SU Service won't provide OS revision and/or specific updates to Client OS that are 10.5 and 10.6. A 10.5 SU Server will provide OS revision and/or specific updates to Client OS that are 10.4 and 10.5 but not 10.6.

I'm not certain about the pricing and that will be something Mark could help you on. Provided things are 'healthy' with your server simply inserting the 10.6 Server Installer Disk and and running the assistant should 'upgrade' everything for you without (hopefully) breaking anything. As ever make sure you have a fallback position just in case. Unlike Windows there is no Restore or Rollback or Undo to a previous OS on OSX. Once you're committed that's it. Not that desperate if it's the Client OS as you can always Archive and Install. With the Server OS there's no such facility. Although (if you know what you're doing) even this can be worked around if necessary.

Does that help?

Antonio Rocco (ACSA)
    Last edited by AntonioRocco; 17th June 2010 at 10:39 PM.

5. Thanks to AntonioRocco from:

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread