+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Mac Thread, All Mac Schools - Do they exist? in Technical; Just a question I wanted to ask to satisfy my own curiosity. It's not unusual for a school or uni ...

Thank Post

All Mac Schools - Do they exist?

Just a question I wanted to ask to satisfy my own curiosity. It's not unusual for a school or uni in the USA to be all Mac. Think they are fairly dominant in some states.

Any schools in the UK gone down this route? I work for the county council and I've only ever seen the lone 1 or 2 Macs in a school. Even then they are usually just standalone with no connection to the school's domain.

AXE
    Thank Post
    I've been to dozens of schools around the country. Independent schools tend to have more macs than most, the highest ratio I've seen is about 50:50 (but that was very exceptional). Usually I see around 30-40 mainly in media/music etc. mostly stand-alone but sometimes with a server linked to AD.

Thank Post
    we used to be all Mac years ago before I worked here. We are about 70/30 PC/MAC but many of the macs are dual boot Windows 7/OSX now. We have some mac servers so they are fully integrated.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,074 Times in 765 Posts
    @hailstorm:

I do believe that the Academy 360 in Sunderland could be all Macs, not entirely positive on this but I am told this was what the Principle decided along with Ipod touches etc. From what I hear it has been very expensive and the staff just don't use the Macbooks as they have had no real training and find them less intrinsic than PCs.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    The MIS used in schools does not run on OSX a slight problem.

Thank Post
    My wife works at an all MAC school. They still have to use windows because their MIS only works on it so they have VMware setup on the macs for staff to access it.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by nicholab View Post
    The MIS used in schools does not run on OSX a slight problem.
    Depends what MIS you use I suppose. If you use the openMIS systems then AFAIK these are web based and should work on pretty much any device.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    The two incumbent ones do not.

Thank Post
    We are an all-mac school. Our Admin Staff also have iMacs on their desks, although as mentioned they need to use Windows on them due to SIMS and FMS requiring it. The class-rooms do currently have Windows running on them but with access to SIMS via the web browser this may not be the case anymore.

I am just going through the process of finding out what software is needed on the Windows side and see if there is a web-based version or an alternative.

The back-end though still has an AD system along with an integrated OD.

Thank Post
    Hi

I know of at least half-a-dozen in and around the West Midlands area as well as 3-4 in the Leicestershire area. All Open Directory Environments. Admittedly some ares mall 5-20 workstations expanding to much larger ones 60-180 workstations with multiple servers. There is also one school in the Ripley/Codner area which is all mac with roughly 6-8 servers and 300-450 workstations.

Of the half dozen in the West Midlands area 3 were all PC (Active Directory) which were scrapped after 2-3 months in favour of the Mac (Open Directory) environment.

If you're also counting parallel LDAP environments I know of half-a-dozen again in the West Midlands area.

From others that I know working in this field there are a number in the London and Home Counties area as well as Manchester/Leeds. Some of them quite large. In addition I know of at least three Corporate environments which are also all mac. These started out as PC/Active Directory but were scrapped not long after the first macs went in.

Antonio Rocco (ACSA)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by bossman View Post
    @hailstorm:

I do believe that the Academy 360 in Sunderland could be all Macs, not entirely positive on this but I am told this was what the Principle decided along with Ipod touches etc. From what I hear it has been very expensive and the staff just don't use the Macbooks as they have had no real training and find them less intrinsic than PCs.
    Well if it's like most schools I deal with the teachers are very much creatures of habit. Just moving from Office 2003 to Office 2007 has caused some to freak out. Can't imagine what it would be like changing to a completely different OS.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by AntonioRocco View Post
    Hi

I know of at least half-a-dozen in and around the West Midlands area as well as 3-4 in the Leicestershire area. All Open Directory Environments. Admittedly some ares mall 5-20 workstations expanding to much larger ones 60-180 workstations with multiple servers. There is also one school in the Ripley/Codner area which is all mac with roughly 6-8 servers and 300-450 workstations.

Of the half dozen in the West Midlands area 3 were all PC (Active Directory) which were scrapped after 2-3 months in favour of the Mac (Open Directory) environment.

If you're also counting parallel LDAP environments I know of half-a-dozen again in the West Midlands area.

From others that I know working in this field there are a number in the London and Home Counties area as well as Manchester/Leeds. Some of them quite large. In addition I know of at least three Corporate environments which are also all mac. These started out as PC/Active Directory but were scrapped not long after the first macs went in.

Antonio Rocco (ACSA)
    Do you know if the county councils provide IT support for those schools or is it a outside firm? The one thing I'd like it to get more experience in mixed environments but the council I work for will only touch Windows only networks.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by hailstorm View Post
    Do you know if the county councils provide IT support for those schools or is it a outside firm? The one thing I'd like it to get more experience in mixed environments but the council I work for will only touch Windows only networks.
    I would imagine then that your county council keep a tight rein on IT within the school in your area?

I have lots of schools that are supported by us for their Macs, as the general level of support from county councils is so poor!

Thank Post
    We're about a 70/30 split in favour of Mac OS here. Those who use our MIS are on Windows, as are a few machines in Technology which run some crappy CAD program. We are quite often donated Wintel PCs too from the University. All 6 of our IT rooms are Mac, as are teacher computers in each classroom and open access study / library areas.

Thank Post
    I am aware of around a dozen schools, even after going through BSF that are all MAC. Major stumbling block is cost of machine, software and finding enough support staff who can support them. My current school has 3 suites of them, and only one on my team knows anything about them. Real problem.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast