+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Mac Thread, Yipeeeeee - it's arrived in Technical; Originally Posted by timzim I watched a whole bunch of losers, sorry 'users', crowding round an iPad demo in my ...

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by timzim View Post
    I watched a whole bunch of losers, sorry 'users', crowding round an iPad demo in my local <named-after-a-fruit> store a week ago. A spotty oik was wittering into a microphone about the functions of the device, while the peons fiddled with & fought over the six or so demo versions firmly hard-wired to the demo table, not one of them listening to a single word the demonstrator was burbling. I noticed one punter (age about 12) busy playing Pong on his iPad.

The latest technology and it can play a game invented in 1972. Brilliant! I must have one......not.
    Each to their own and all that... :-)

GJE

Thank Post
    Main thing the success of the iPad will do, that no other tablet device will have done, is to bring the whole concept of tablet devices into the mainstream.
    Whether it's the best device or not it will open the door for a whole stampede of other devices that would have had little if any chance of survival (no matter how good they are) without the massive rasing of awareness that the iPad has given them.
    I'm not talking about the awareness of the IT Crowd either, we tend to voraciously read and deconstruct every tech article about a new device, it's not us that make these things successes. It's the awareness of Joe Public.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnCondon View Post
    Main thing the success of the iPad will do, that no other tablet device will have done, is to bring the whole concept of tablet devices into the mainstream.
    Whether it's the best device or not it will open the door for a whole stampede of other devices that would have had little if any chance of survival (no matter how good they are) without the massive rasing of awareness that the iPad has given them.
    I'm not talking about the awareness of the IT Crowd either, we tend to voraciously read and deconstruct every tech article about a new device, it's not us that make these things successes. It's the awareness of Joe Public.
    Truly. Without the good marketing that Apple have used to make themselves fashionable - and therefore making their otherwise unjustifiable price an illusion of exclusivity rather than just being a rip-off, I honestly don't thing they would even exist!!

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by garethedmondson View Post
    I wonder if that will come today. One part of the iPhone Dev website has gone down with a message saying it's being upgraded.

From 6pm today I shall be keeping an eye on things. I liked the pictures that were shown on Gizmodo so hopefully that was the hardware side of things.

Gareth
    Aye, I'm pacing the floor like a caged tiger waiting for 6pm to come. My contract is up for renewal on the 22nd July so I can upgrade pretty much anytime now...

As for the iPad - overpriced, but that's true for all Apple hardware. Alas if it was half the price then I could see the point in it. At £700 I'd buy a laptop thanks.

On the old Apple debate my views (as a 'slight', ah-hem, fanboy) are pretty much that Apple are very good at three things - 1) Software, 2) Design, 3) Marketing. But they are very bad at two rather imprtant things - 1) Hardware, 2) Pricing. I stopped buying Apple a while back (iPhone excpeted, of course ) because I can't justify the price for the poor quality hardware. Even if the OS and iLife apps are second to none.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by timzim View Post
    I watched a whole bunch of losers, sorry 'users', crowding round an iPad demo in my local <named-after-a-fruit> store a week ago. A spotty oik was wittering into a microphone about the functions of the device, while the peons fiddled with & fought over the six or so demo versions firmly hard-wired to the demo table, not one of them listening to a single word the demonstrator was burbling. I noticed one punter (age about 12) busy playing Pong on his iPad.

The latest technology and it can play a game invented in 1972. Brilliant! I must have one......not.
    I wonder if ever there will be a technology released without someone claiming "all people do with it is what I used to do 50 years ago with a stick and bit of mud" or the equivalent?

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by tmcd35 View Post
    Even if the OS ... are second to none.
    Hmm, interseting to hear you say that - not a common statement from Mac users IME... I dont have much of an opinion on the OS myself - just looks like a arty linux distro to me (which is not far off being exactly what it is, though based on freeBSD I believe). My issues with it are as you said: price and hardware. I also can't see a particular advantage to using them over their cheaper counterparts - even if they were the same price there doesn't seem to me to be a good reason to use them.

And before I get blasted, I have a Mac (admittedly I got hold of it free. I think its a G4. Big server-type thingy, running OS9 I think), I have a Windows XP laptop, a windows 7 pc and my main machine is a laptop with Ubuntu on it. So I have tasted most flavours. Ubuntu (or linux in general) wins for me...

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Tyiell View Post
    Hmm, interseting to hear you say that - not a common statement from Mac users IME...
    And before I get blasted, I have a Mac (admittedly I got hold of it free. I think its a G4. Big server-type thingy, running OS9 I think), ...
    Erm, yes - MacOS 9 is to Mac users as is Windows ME to Windows users, we don't like to talk about it

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by tmcd35 View Post
    Erm, yes - MacOS 9 is to Mac users as is Windows ME to Windows users, we don't like to talk about it
    Fair enough!! Mind you, I'm not saying it's bad. Just that it's not particularly good! Don't think I can put OSX on the powerpc type mac can I?

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Tyiell View Post
    Fair enough!! Mind you, I'm not saying it's bad. Just that it's not particularly good! Don't think I can put OSX on the powerpc type mac can I?
    I once got OS-X 10.3 running on a PowerMacintosh 8600. They use Pre-G3 PowerPC 604e processors. So yes, if your Mac is newer that that then it will run a version of OS X. I think G4's are supported upto version 10.4 off the top of my head, with some limitd support for last generation G4/5's in 10.5. I'm pretty sure the current 'Snow Leopard' version 10.6 is the first release to be Intel cpu only. So you just need to find the version that is compatible with your setup.

10. Thanks to tmcd35 from:

Tyiell (8th June 2010)

Thank Post
    Ok. I'll give it a shot at some point, and come back with an informed opinion of OSX

Thank Post
    I bought an iPad a couple of weeks ago and have used it a lot since, watching movies on the train, writing mails at home and using it as a touch screen hifi thing in my B&W Zeppelin....

I have had SO much grief from friends and family, I have been called names and the like and for the life of me I cannot work it out....

I bought something I could afford and wanted to give a go and all I seem to get is abuse..

can someone explain why this is?

are kittens and puppies ground down to powder to make them?

What did I do wrong!?

Thank Post
    Try standing in front of the mirror whilst holding it (the iPad!) and take a long look at yourself. If you still feel the same then don't worry and just carry on...

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Tony_Mc View Post
    are kittens and puppies ground down to powder to make them?
    They are now!! They used bunny rabbits at first, but after they made them extinct throughout Northern America they had to move onto kittens and puppies!!

Seriously though, I don't have a problem with them as such I just don't personally see the attraction. Or the point - I mean it's not like asimilar (and some would say better) product wouldn't do the same thing right? My point was people seem to buy them because they are apple and "pretty", not because they are useful. I'm sure there are exceptions to that, and at the end of the day: each to their own!!

Thank Post
    I openly admit I took the following from a mate of mine's blog detailling how he has been using his iPad. It was the first thing I read about the iPad that didn't leave me feeling indifferent or thinking "meh, it's cool but doesn't do anything new" :

You wake up, your iPad is sounding an alarm, you slide and it tells you itís 8am, open up the menu and the weather for today pops up letting you know itís sunshine for the next 7 days. You grab your iPad from itís dock next to your bed and carry it to the bathroom and pop it in the dock there, you open up some music and do your daily business, shower brush teeth etc. you grab a towel, dry your hands and go back to the bedroom with iPad in hand still playing music, you dock it while you get dry and dressed, it blaring music through your 3rd party dock speakers. You tie your shoes, grab your iPad and head down stairs. Poor some cereal and switch to the BBC news app, reading the days going ons while you eat. you finish slam bowl in sink and head to the car. in there you connect it to the radio via an FM device and your music plays through the car stereo. Get to work, transfer the work you saved to it the night before and all those other files youíve got for the day. While at work, it keeps your email updated on your person even when away from your desk. Work finishes, head home with iPad once again playing your music in your own car. Straight in the door, you head to the kitchen poping the iPad on a dock and bring up the Jamie Oliver app; now itís a recipe book, showing you how to cook something nice for you and your other half. You switch to iTunes while you eat and do the dishes. Off to the front room, you plug in the TV adapter, now your iPad is streaming a locally-saved movie to your HD screen. You take your iPad upstairs, turn the light out and read some comics while the wife sleeps (and the iPad is GLORIOUS to read comics on). Switch to the alarm app again and pop it in itís dock, ready for tomorrow tio do it all again.

So for all those haters, just think, think for five minutes of the possibilities, they are truly endless. How you could integrate this into your life, it all depends on how and what you want to do with it, how much you would use it. Thus, I think anyone buying one is well justified and itís a cool £429 well spent. Well spent indeed.

The key thing for me is, yes, all of these things can be done at the moment by something. But this is one piece of tech, not several.

He also found a very cool blogging app that makes the iPad look exactly like a datapad from Star Trek
    Last edited by Pete10141748; 14th June 2010 at 04:23 PM.

Thank Post
    Jealousy

Just point them to this picture...

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast