+ Post New Thread
Mac Thread, Preventing change to desktop background in Technical; I need to stop users being able to change the desktop background on their iMac's (OS 10.5). Using WGM, I ...
    theeldergeek

Preventing change to desktop background

I need to stop users being able to change the desktop background on their iMac's (OS 10.5).

Using WGM, I have disabled access to the "System Preferences" so they can't alter the picture and/or screensaver, however, it seems they are able to right-click in Safari and use an image as the background.

Is there any straightforward way for me to stop this from happening?

In addition, for those who have already set their own desktop background, is there a way to reset it to a picture of my choosing (one of the default pictures), and/or ensure it is reset on each restart?

TIA

Thank Post
    Try this. Navigate to com.apple.desktop and add it to the managed prefs in WGM. I think the users still have the option but it doesn't do anything.

Also use ARD to deploy your desktop image to the clients. The path you need to enter is /Library/Desktop Pictures/

Copy the same image into the same location on your client admin machine. Then apply the image using the system preference. Then when you do add the image plist to the manged prefs list in WGM it should pick up the new wallpaper and the users will not be allowed to change it if you set it to always. if you need to set it to always then just copy the root key in the often settings key and paste them into the always key.

Hope this makes sense. If not let me know and i will see if I can knock up a guide.
    Last edited by HodgeHi; 17th May 2010 at 12:45 PM.

3. Thanks to HodgeHi from:

theeldergeek
    Quote Originally Posted by HodgeHi View Post
    If not let me know and i will see if I can knock up a guide.
    *ahem*

Yes please

Two things I don't quite get. To which list in WGM do I add the com.apple.desktop entry; Preferences > Applications?
    Secondly, this bit really threw me - "if you need to set it to always then just copy the root key in the often settings key and paste them into the always key."
    Last edited by theeldergeek; 17th May 2010 at 02:29 PM.

theeldergeek
    Try this. Navigate to com.apple.desktop and add it to the managed prefs in WGM. I think the users still have the option but it doesn't do anything.

Also use ARD to deploy your desktop image to the clients. The path you need to enter is /Library/Desktop Pictures/

Copy the same image into the same location on your client admin machine. Then apply the image using the system preference. Then when you do add the image plist to the manged prefs list in WGM it should pick up the new wallpaper and the users will not be allowed to change it if you set it to always. if you need to set it to always then just copy the root key in the often settings key and paste them into the always key.

Hope this makes sense. If not let me know and i will see if I can knock up a guide.
    OK, here's what I did, and it didn't work

Added : user(me) > library > preferences > com.apple.desktop.plist to WGM under 'always managed applications'

I didn't do anything via ARD as the image I am using in my own plist is a default image on the Macs, so no need to deploy (?)

I logged into a client as a user, and it hadn't worked. I noted that there was no com.apple.desktop.plist

I went onto Safari and (at random) right clicked a pic to use as desktop, which it did. I then noted it had created a com.apple.desktop in which it made reference to the location Safari holds the picture.

I deleted the com.apple.desktop file, logged out, logged in, and the default desktop was back.

So....

how do I deploy my com.apple.desktop file to the clients, how do I make it so it can't be overwritten and/or deleted?

Thank Post
    In WGM you click on the details tab. Then you click the + sign and then add the com.apple.desktop plist file.

When you click the pencil button to edit you will then see the plist file in the editor. You should see three root keys. Once, Often and Always. If you click on the often key and then cmd+c it will copy then keys and then click on the Always key and then cmd+v. It will say something like do you want to move the keys. Click yes. This will then force it to be applied 'Always'.

I will see if I can sort out a little guide. Give me a couple of mins.

Thank Post
    Here's a quick guide. I tried to make it as simple as possible. If anyone spots any mistakes please let me know.
    Attached Files Attached Files

8. 3 Thanks to HodgeHi:

buzzard (1st December 2010), jlucas (18th May 2010)

theeldergeek
    Here's a quick guide. I tried to make it as simple as possible. If anyone spots any mistakes please let me know.
    I ran out of time at the office, otherwise I would have let you know I managed to do it already. I'm very grateful for your help. I'll go through the guide and see if it is how I eventually did it. It was, in actual fact, very easy to do.

Thank Post
    I think now you may be beginning to understand the benefits of managing macs. Some of the things that can be troublesome on PCs can be relatively easy to manage in OS X. I actually prefer to configure the management settings in OS X more than i do in Group Policy. I hate Group Policy. Don't know if Windows server 2008 is the same. Hopefully it is a little easier to manage. But again on the plus side for GPO it is very thorough, but perhaps due to the fact that it needs to be.

theeldergeek
    I think now you may be beginning to understand the benefits of managing macs. Some of the things that can be troublesome on PCs can be relatively easy to manage in OS X. I actually prefer to configure the management settings in OS X more than i do in Group Policy. I hate Group Policy. Don't know if Windows server 2008 is the same. Hopefully it is a little easier to manage. But again on the plus side for GPO it is very thorough, but perhaps due to the fact that it needs to be.
    Absolutely agree. I 'enjoy' far more the management of our Mac network than I do Windows. The only thing for me, is how hidden and undocumented some of the Mac features are/appear to be. I couldn't find anything out about the little problem I was having here, save an archived post in a forum which described perfectly what I needed to do (and then your subsequent guide). Why isn't this sort of thing documented? Or is it, and I'm just looking in the wrong places?

I watched students logging in this morning (via ARD) and it was quite satisfying that despite their best efforts to change the background, none of them could!

I haven't physically been over to the Mac suites yet, but I'm when I do, I'll be getting the, "sir, why can't we change our desktops...?"

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by theeldergeek View Post
    The only thing for me, is how hidden and undocumented some of the Mac features are/appear to be. I couldn't find anything out about the little problem I was having here, save an archived post in a forum which described perfectly what I needed to do (and then your subsequent guide). Why isn't this sort of thing documented? Or is it, and I'm just looking in the wrong places?
    You are correct. Even the Apple docs as far as I'm aware don't cover everything fully enough to get a complete overview. However, there is perhaps a very little known section of Apple's site that does have some good tutorial stuff. I do like to watch them myself from time to time. They are listed in the bottom right hand column. But you may also want to watch the rest as they are good videos

Apple - Business - Theater

13. Thanks to HodgeHi from:

theeldergeek
    You are correct. Even the Apple docs as far as I'm aware don't cover everything fully enough to get a complete overview. However, there is perhaps a very little known section of Apple's site that does have some good tutorial stuff. I do like to watch them myself from time to time. They are listed in the bottom right hand column. But you may also want to watch the rest as they are good videos

Apple - Business - Theater
    <Eldergeek reclines with coffee for some informative viewing>

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread