+ Post New Thread
Mac Thread, Imaging a Bootcamp partition with Ghost 11.5.1.2266 in Technical; Hi, I'm at a school that has a suite of Imacs 2006-07 models which are boot camped to run xp ...

Thank Post

Imaging a Bootcamp partition with Ghost 11.5.1.2266

Hi,

I'm at a school that has a suite of Imacs 2006-07 models which are boot camped to run xp pro now i need to take an image if possible with Symantec Ghost 11.5.2266 and then use Ghost to spit the image out to the rest of the suite there's 30 macs in total. I've goggled but haven't found a solution and really don't fancy doing 30 separate computer installs

Please Help

Thank Post
    i have done this before just ghost the partition to the other macs. The macs must be bootcamped first tho!

Thank Post
    The last time I did something like this I used a app called winclone or carbon copy cloner.

EDIT: Nope I remember now... I used DeployStudio.
    Last edited by ovek; 11th May 2010 at 11:12 AM.

Thank Post
    yea winclone is good, very quick too but the image it creates need to be passround to each mac individually and still needs to be bootcamped first

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by tommccann View Post
    yea winclone is good, very quick too but the image it creates need to be passround to each mac individually and still needs to be bootcamped first
    Nice one for the info do i just take image with Winclone then install it via Winclone on all the other Macs

Thank Post
    Hi

I am not a mac expert but I have been told that this would be good. Clone the entire contents of one hard drive to another Please check the specs as I am not sure. I do know the tech from stone uses this a lot and he swears by it.

Richard

Thank Post
    Ghost is fine to clone to another mac that already has a suitable bootcamp partition, however deploy studio is the best tool where a existing bootcamp partition doesn't exist as it will restore the fake MBR etc.

You have to be very careful if you do a straight clone of OSX in a environment where you are going to be binding it to directory services.

Tom

Thank Post
    If you are going to clone mac partitions as well as the Windows ones you're definitely best to use DeployStudio. It does more than just image the partitions. It is especially important for the mac partitions as it will fix the byhost preferences (GUID/UUID of each machine) and also fix the LKDC realm (only on 10.5 +). This is important as when binding to the OD it will see each machine as the same if the LKDC is not changed. This is all automated using DeployStudio.

you can also automate the AD and OD binding as part of the image and also deploy additional packages after the image to install applications. Also you can create workflows to cater for your individual needs. EG, if you find yourself imaging the Windows partition more and more you can create a workflow that re-images just the Windows partition, without touching the OS X side. Very handy. IIRC, You can also do the same with the OS X side as well.

Its worth the investment in time. Also as an added bonus it can also PXE boot your windows-based machines. I have done it and it works quite well. They need to be using PXE 2.0 for this.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread