+ Post New Thread
Page 9 of 12 FirstFirst ... 56789101112 LastLast
Mac Thread, iPad in schools in Technical; I saw a really interesting talk from a teacher using iPod Touch devices running an app which linked them to ...
    Thank Post
    I saw a really interesting talk from a teacher using iPod Touch devices running an app which linked them to their VLE (Studywiz in her case) and she was very keen. She'd been looking at puzzle/game based learning and had volunteered to see what the outcome was with various devices - PSPs and so on. She made the very valid point that for this sort of activity, the school didn't really want to bother the IT guys with it, and so initially just wanted to look at stand alone devices. The Studywiz app gave her some extra capabilities without much complexity, and now students can check their timetables, internal messages, homework assignments and so on. She's also able to construct role play games by putting character instructions for each student into their Studywiz inbox and some clues to follow. Yes, I know she could do that with sheets of paper, but kids are kids and they respond better to the iPods, apparently. As I said earlier, the way to look at iPad is that it's a portal to a VLE or Terminal Services setup, but with a different interface to normal. So it will be better for different things, and for students with different levels of ability. For special needs use I think it's amazing.For games, puzzles, web based activities it should be good too. For typing, why bother?

Thank Post
    What are you envisaging using the iPad being useful for in the classroom? Teachers use? Students use?

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by jamesleeds View Post
    What are you envisaging using the iPad being useful for in the classroom? Teachers use? Students use?
    I'm staring to think about student use. Some of the comments in this fascinating thread are absolutely right, by the way. If you need a device you can type on, and you want to connect to network Home folders, the iPad is a non-starter. If you want a pocket sized device for teachers to use with a VLE to check timetables and mesages, again, not the right device. However, if you're looking for an interesting, fun and friendly way to explore web based applications, terminal services, games and interactive classroom activities, it's worth a look. It won't suit everyone, but then again, neither does a normal Mac. Neither does a Netbook, for that matter - some people hate them All I'm saying is it's perhaps too early to reject it outright. Probably too early to embrace it unconditionally too. Let's see what comes out of the activities people are trialling with iPad first.

Oh, and I'm getting one for my kitchen at home, by the way

4. 2 Thanks to Robbocop:

jamesleeds (13th May 2010), simpsonj (25th June 2010)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Robbocop View Post
    I...Oh, and I'm getting one for my kitchen at home, by the way
    ha! me too...

Thank Post
    However, if you're looking for an interesting, fun and friendly way to explore web based applications, terminal services, games and interactive classroom activities, it's worth a look.
    Unless the apps/games need Flash of course...

Oh, and I'm getting one for my kitchen at home, by the way
    Excellent idea!

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by enjay View Post
    Unless the apps/games need Flash of course...
    I believe we'll quite quickly see a resolution to the Apple / Adobe war on Flash... personally, I'm looking at developing direct to HTML5 for the iPad, and I'm fairly sure Adobe will start producing Flash-like tools for building directly to this also. But we'll see...

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by jamesleeds View Post
    I believe we'll quite quickly see a resolution to the Apple / Adobe war on Flash... personally, I'm looking at developing direct to HTML5 for the iPad, and I'm fairly sure Adobe will start producing Flash-like tools for building directly to this also. But we'll see...
    I read that Apple are building a framework for Javascript to implement perhaps some of the features Flash has and Javascript doesn't.

AppleInsider | Apple developing Flash alternative named Gianduia

I am also happy to see someone who has mentioned the fact that They are looking past the lack of flash. Apple freely release the tools to create apps. How you deploy them I'm not too sure but again I think I read or it was mentioned during the iPhone OS 4.0 that you will be allowed to deploy your own apps internally.

I think that there is enough skill and talent on here that could produce a iPhone/iPad-based app that would blow some of the educational games built in flash right out of the water. I don't understand why people are fixated on this non-flash thing. It's a pain to maintain. Has to be maintained due to it's crapness and on a mac its generally rubbish. But if HTML5 does take off it will be across Windows-based machines as well. MS has already mentioned it fully supports H.264 for streaming video.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by HodgeHi View Post
    I think that there is enough skill and talent on here that could produce a iPhone/iPad-based app that would blow some of the educational games built in flash right out of the water. I don't understand why people are fixated on this non-flash thing.
    No doubt true, however until that day comes, we're stuck with Flash. We mayn't like it, but we've got to play the cards we've been dealt.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,717 Times in 2,302 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by enjay View Post
    No doubt true, however until that day comes, we're stuck with Flash. We mayn't like it, but we've got to play the cards we've been dealt.
    Even when that day comes it is not going to change the large amount of flash content that already exists and it in use to this new format magicly. It will still require a large reinvestment of time and as usual money to get back to where your resource base was before let alone exciding it.

I dislike flash as much as the next person but that does not change the fact that it is everywhere and with the inertia of education software will remain so for the forseeable future.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by SYNACK View Post
    Even when that day comes it is not going to change the large amount of flash content that already exists
    Absolutely, in fact I said exactly that, and then deleted it before posting for some reason!

Thank Post
    But then as Steve Jobs already pointed out in his letter. Due to flash not being able to support multi-touch input as well as it could then software that is to be used on multi-touch devices will need to be re-written anyway. So why go for some plug-in that is required by all when you could just opt to code for the most common platform which in theory when HTML 5 is standardised will be on every machine by default. No need for users to download anything else just to run the app/software you have created.

From the looks of what is happening multi-touch devices are coming.

But upon saying that though, has anyone used a Microsoft surface? I did see the small smart tables that ran their software. What is this made in? Is it flash? Is it multi-touch compatible?

Thank Post
    But upon saying that though, has anyone used a Microsoft surface? I did see the small smart tables that ran their software. What is this made in? Is it flash? Is it multi-touch compatible?
    Played with a Surface and Smart table at BETT, definitely multi-touch; couldn't tell you about Flash versions or anything though...

Thank Post
    who needs flash for the ipad when you've got C#, Silverlight, and monotouch.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,717 Times in 2,302 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Surface uses Silverlight and WPF (which are pretty much the same thing) which were built to handle multitouch from the start, not sure about the Smart table but it is possibly based on this technology to.

Thank Post
    Now, Silverlight on a mac is actually alright. Much better than flash anyway in my experience. But then I've only used it when using the ITV Player.

What's everyone elses opinion of Silverlight Vs Flash? Is it a contender? and if so why isn't this allowed on the iPad/iPhone? is it a lack of a mobile version?

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 9 of 12 FirstFirst ... 56789101112 LastLast