+ Post New Thread
Page 7 of 12 FirstFirst ... 34567891011 ... LastLast
Mac Thread, iPad in schools in Technical; Originally Posted by glennda It has apple written on it so i cannot come near my network full stop! To ...

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by glennda View Post
    It has apple written on it so i cannot come near my network full stop! To be honest i can't see the usefulness of devices like this. Why can't a netbook be used at half the price!
    Because most people moan about supporting netbooks/laptops already on their networks. You've only got to read through the forums about laptop trolleys etc. How does this suddenly change to being OK when something else comes along?

theeldergeek
    Quote Originally Posted by GrumbleDook View Post
    Victorian values? Forced adoption for children of unmarried mothers? Oh .. you mean educational values? Or do you really mean Victorian educational methods ... designed for the days of the factory. If you want to see how things have moved on then go and visit any of the top 10 states schools. Go and speak to folk like Stephen Heppell.

I know we are violently agreeing on the same thing (if it is appropriate then make use of it), but I think we might just be disagree on the methods of justification. HHL conference allows me to see good examples (and bad actually). It also allows people to see where barriers to change are. These barriers to change don't just centre around technology but lots of other things too. Barriers like teachers being the only people who might understand education, about resiting in changing teaching styles (chalk & talk can work well ... but so can other models ... ) and so on. I just really hate nay-sayers who resist anything different. I am just happy to give things a try *if thought out properly*.

Despite the obvious bait, I'm not going to furnish you with a reply to your comments about Victorian values; suffice to say, I believe you know full well what I meant.

FWIW - in the main, I don't disagree with you regarding the conference and what it can bring - let's hope it meets your expectations and in turn those of the people who are actually affected the most by the wheelers, dealers and decision makers. Namely those who have to use the devices and those who have to support them.

Myself, I've always attend such events (and as a freelance technician having worked for a conference management company, I have attended dozens of conferences) with a bit of a cynical attitude. I tend to go in not too excited by it all and if I'm honest, a bit 'anti' it all. I've witnessed first hand how deals are done and let's be honest, profit is bottom line. There are going to be 'independent' people there who undoubtedly have more than a advisory interest in the technology, and who will tell you till they go blue in the face why we apparently need "change".

Lord knows, Cameron has adopted that damn "change" word himself, so I expect it will become something we will all have to embrace at work, play and wherever else we might be expected to do something different where we were previously getting by without any real bother.

"Progress is impossible without change, and those who cannot change their minds cannot change anything", said George Bernard Shaw, and i agree with him, but I also don't want "change" shoved down my throat. I want that change thought about, mulled over and questioned. Then I want it changed to address the concerns raised so that the change becomes a change that is for the better, not a change that someone else decided was needed because "change" happened to be corporate buzz word of the month. </rant>

Anyway, I digress - aside from your comments at the top of the discussion, I regard you as otherwise an intelligent person, and I've little doubt (and to be honest, have quiet enthusiasm) that you will be impartial to the business of who can provide the biggest bung to get the latest gadget into the classroom and perhaps we can have a blog on your findings when you return?

Enjoy.

As an aside, some of us don't actually get to hear about, or are ever made aware of such conferences until it is too late to attend. Is there a one stop 'notice board' where conference dates etc can be posted?

3. Thanks to theeldergeek from:

GrumbleDook (11th May 2010)

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,800 Times in 1,118 Posts
    Blog Entries
    @theeldergeek : damn you for spotting my cunning troll ;-) Only ever intended to provoke discussion and highlight that the 'traditional' ideas of teaching may have been fit for purpose then but need to be re-evaluated for the present day. Offence not intended and thank you for taking it in the spirit it was meant.

Unfortunately I can't think of a single place where all the conferences are put. There used to be a calendar section on here for events (non-subscribable unfortunately) in the days of yore (EG v1) but it was left to only ahandful to put things on... and of course died a death due to time constraints. We also have the problem of whether folk just want technical events or whether educational events would be good too. Personally I think stick it all on.

BCS has an events calendar but it is behind the login screen ... the one that used to be in IT Week is now gone in Computing ... TES don't do one either ... Becta, SSAT and DCSF events are non-subscribable too ... do you see a trend here? I did look at putting together a calendar (aimed at people wanting to find out about TeachMeets mainly but also so i could let folk know about local IT Meetings and regional EMBC events) but it was to dependent on just me ... But since you have sparked it off in my mind again I will pop over to comments and suggestions to see if we can have a subscribable calendar on here (iCal / jCal compatible?) which people can add suggested events on to (possibly even sponsors can notify of events they are holding?)

5. Thanks to GrumbleDook from:

PEO
    Thank Post
    The ipad comes with ts own version office... well not office but apples equivelant. can you join it to a domain and allow users to logon to it. the other thing is internet issues, what about internet access, how would you know who accessed what and when, remembering that we have a duty to protect all children. etc etc

I like to know whats going on, when, how, why etc... probably over the top.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,800 Times in 1,118 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Reading some of the comments on various lists about what Keynote is like on it I am not that impressed. The AppleKeynote group on yahoo (applekeynote : The Keynote Users Group) rips it apart ... basically for those used to the full feature set of Keynote on a Mac then Keynote on the iPad is a let down, and I have heard similar on Numbers and Pages too. As basic tools they will do just fine, but for any serious user then they are unlikely to be happy. To some extent I felt that way about trying to using Office apps on windows mobile. I just had to accept the limitations. However, I am impressed with The Elements and there are other apps that are quite good on the iPhone / iPod, such as Animoto videos and AudioBoo, which could be even better on the iPad. Seadragon mobile is also very nice too. I am waiting to see what happens with Prezi as well.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by HodgeHi View Post
    However while I agree with eldergeek to some extent, sometimes we as the ICT support see these devices and new 'gadgets' before anyone else does. Occasionally you need to have an open-mind and perhaps a bit of vision of their possible potential. If you just dismiss stuff because you say 'we don't need those' then you may be closing the door on something positive before it's even been thought of.
    I think that's an important point. We often do hear about things first, because we're the ones going to BETT, RM seminars, EduGeek and a million other geek and tech sites, so I think that we/ICT Co-ordinators have a responsibility to keep teaching colleagues apprised with new "stuff". It isn't our place to say "this is great, you must get one (or 30!) and shoe-horn it into your curriculum", but it is our place to say "hey, saw this and wondered if it is something you'd like to look at". To this end, we are hoping to set up a strategy / steering group comprising IT Support, ICT Co-ord, SLT and some of the more tech-minded teachers to do just that.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,138 Times in 1,034 Posts
    Because most people moan about supporting netbooks/laptops already on their networks. You've only got to read through the forums about laptop trolleys etc. How does this suddenly change to being OK when something else comes along?
    I only said that because i don't like apple products as i think they are way over priced for something that the likes of ubuntu/debian can do most of for free!

Thank Post
    What would be the general consensus if this was a Windows-based slate device perhaps like the one HP was going to release? Would everything be magically Ok even though it was identical apart from the OS?

Thank Post
    What would be the general consensus if this was a Windows-based slate device perhaps like the one HP was going to release? Would everything be magically Ok even though it was identical apart from the OS?
    If it was Windows-based, we would be a hundred steps closer to decent integration with our network, which would greatly increase the usability of the devices, so it would be better, not everything (and not magical!) but definitely an improvement.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by jamesb View Post
    How does your mate the block paver work out how many blocks he needs to pave an area? I'd be surprised if he doesn't jot down some quick calculations to work out the materials he needs for a particular job.
    Hes good at maths, I said sub par you just assumed he couldnt add 2+2. My point that perhaps I didnt make well is that they dont have GCSEs, its all about how this is interpreted. People always assume that this bit of paper is the be all and end all even more so in the so called core subjects.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,138 Times in 1,034 Posts
    Nope - if i didn't have to use windows for the clients for most of the curriculum i wouldn't have it!

14. Thanks to glennda from:

HodgeHi (12th May 2010)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by glennda View Post
    Nope - if i didn't have to use windows for the clients for most of the curriculum i wouldn't have it!
    Neither would I

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by CHR1S View Post
    Hes good at maths, I said sub par you just assumed he couldnt add 2+2. My point that perhaps I didnt make well is that they dont have GCSEs, its all about how this is interpreted. People always assume that this bit of paper is the be all and end all even more so in the so called core subjects.
    Not every school leaver is going to be self employed; most employers expect a minimum standard of education & qualifications for any prospective employee; all too often we hear about employers complaining students lack the numeracy & literacy skills needed for the jobs they are being asked to do. The 'bit of paper' you are so dismissive of is important as a means of opening doors, and core skills such as numeracy and literacy are key.

Thank Post
    But that wasnt the original point, we said this so called person was a photoshop/photography wiz but lacked the "core" skills, so to get on in life they must have an C or better in English or Science?
    A basic education will help, I agree, but if you are good in another area its not as important. Where your point is valid is when someone leaves with no skills.

Thank Post
    Yup cos then it would work. I can't really see any practical applications of the ipad at home, nevermind in a school. The only use I can see is for lying down on the sofa whilst watching tv and browsing the internet (so long as you don't like flash), and our kids aren't allowed to lie down in school. Perfectly willing to be corrected tho (i haven't read all the posts so forgive me if someone has already extolled its virtues for a particular application)

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 7 of 12 FirstFirst ... 34567891011 ... LastLast