+ Post New Thread
Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast
Results 46 to 60 of 171
Mac Thread, iPad in schools in Technical; The iPhone/Pad/Touch is the Windows ME of the portable device. Its the start of the amalgamation of different technologies that ...
  1. #46

    CHR1S's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Birmingham
    Posts
    4,501
    Thank Post
    1,578
    Thanked 482 Times in 302 Posts
    Rep Power
    217
    The iPhone/Pad/Touch is the Windows ME of the portable device. Its the start of the amalgamation of different technologies that points us down a new road. Its not the best device, but its the start.

    Give it 5 years and im sure we will be looking back on this and wondering where we would have been without them. I personally cant wait for the iWhatever of the future if its anything like the tablet things they have in Avatar

  2. #47
    Jamo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    1,350
    Thank Post
    66
    Thanked 175 Times in 147 Posts
    Rep Power
    60
    Quote Originally Posted by nicklec View Post
    I believe someone already mentioned 'access to VLE' is becoming a requirement, a device that has 'all day' battery life and can do this task is definitely going to be useful in a school (atom/ARM netbook or ipod touch/ipad). The amount of flaming on these forums is shocking and the amount of Apple trolling is even more despicable...
    I think that a netbook will be more useful and to be honest better value than an iPad. At over twice the price and with half the functionality I can't see why anyone would want one. Its not apple bashing its the truth! If microsoft port their Windows Phone 7 OS to an mPad or something or other I would be saying exactly the same thing!

  3. #48
    DMcCoy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Isle of Wight
    Posts
    3,451
    Thank Post
    10
    Thanked 493 Times in 433 Posts
    Rep Power
    111
    Quote Originally Posted by nicklec View Post
    I believe someone already mentioned 'access to VLE' is becoming a requirement, a device that has 'all day' battery life and can do this task is definitely going to be useful in a school (atom/ARM netbook or ipod touch/ipad). The amount of flaming on these forums is shocking and the amount of Apple trolling is even more despicable...
    Part of this issue is what you do when all day is reduced by the age and use of the battery.

    The life or my ipod battery had dropped to around 50% of it's original time after a year. Now after 18 months it's battery life could be, at best, described as pathetic. I now have to send it away for a new battery and have the hassle of the fact that you actually get a refurbished one back and not the one you sent.

  4. #49
    theeldergeek
    Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by nicklec View Post
    I believe someone already mentioned 'access to VLE' is becoming a requirement, a device that has 'all day' battery life and can do this task is definitely going to be useful in a school (atom/ARM netbook or ipod touch/ipad).
    Why will "all day battery life" devices be useful in a school which already has a desktop environment in place? Maybe I'm missing the point here, but as yet, I have yet to see a valid argument for introducing such battery devices to replace their desktop equivalent en masse. Thus far, it seems to be that these items will be introduced and we will invent a way to justify their usefulness.

  5. #50
    Pete10141748's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    1,365
    Thank Post
    106
    Thanked 220 Times in 130 Posts
    Rep Power
    86
    Quote Originally Posted by theeldergeek View Post
    Why will "all day battery life" devices be useful in a school which already has a desktop environment in place? Maybe I'm missing the point here, but as yet, I have yet to see a valid argument for introducing such battery devices to replace their desktop equivalent en masse. Thus far, it seems to be that these items will be introduced and we will invent a way to justify their usefulness.
    Within the next 12 months we are putting 15 "all day battery" style netbooks in each classroom and most likely doing away with our ICT Suite all together. Each class will be able to have pupils using a computer at any point during any day for any period of time, wirelessly, and simultaneously. This will also eliminate the current issue of not having enough timetable slots available for every class to have a decent ICT lesson each week.

    Some pretty decent arguments for all-day mobile tech there, I reckon

    That said, I too can't see the use of a iPad in school at the current price and lack of functionality.
    If the price was decent (not far off a netbook) and could be loaded with even a scaled-down version of XP, I'd be more inclined to give 'em a go.

  6. #51

    localzuk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Minehead
    Posts
    17,680
    Thank Post
    516
    Thanked 2,451 Times in 1,897 Posts
    Blog Entries
    24
    Rep Power
    832
    Quote Originally Posted by theeldergeek View Post
    Why will "all day battery life" devices be useful in a school which already has a desktop environment in place? Maybe I'm missing the point here, but as yet, I have yet to see a valid argument for introducing such battery devices to replace their desktop equivalent en masse. Thus far, it seems to be that these items will be introduced and we will invent a way to justify their usefulness.
    At the moment, our school has 3 IT suites that get booked by teachers for lessons. This is therefore a limited resource. We very often find teachers who can't get into an IT room at all as someone else has booked it in advance. If the kids had personal devices such as iPads, they would be able to whip them out during any lesson at any time, to do much of what they'd usually have done on a full desktop PC. Factor in the settling time and the 'packing away/logging off' time for traditional IT room use and you realise that a good 5 - 10 minutes is wasted in every booked IT room lesson - personal devices would pretty much eliminate that.

  7. #52
    Jamo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    1,350
    Thank Post
    66
    Thanked 175 Times in 147 Posts
    Rep Power
    60
    Talking of laptops, does anyone else here use CC3 and find laptops such a big pain due to the fact that they HAVE to install updates on reboot? No silent installs while someone is working. It means I have to go and turn on the laptops after a hotfix has been applied!! A right pain!

  8. #53
    theeldergeek
    Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by localzuk View Post
    There was no NEED for cars when they were invented. There is now, as we have created a need for them! Motorways didn't exist when cars were invented. People were quite happy to take trains for long distance travel, with horse/coach trips to the stations. Goods were shipped via the sea, by canal, or by train. Again, no NEED for cars.

    Cars were invented at first as a gimmicky gadget for the rich to own - to allow them to drive around and be prestigious. It was only once it became clear of the advantages of cars that other companies started tinkering and making them. Once they became really popular, motorways were invented and implemented to allow cars to move around faster.

    You are trying to say that we should only use things which have an actual NEED now, rather than what I (and others) are saying which is that these devices may not have a NEED now, they will instead end up having one in a few years time when more people use them, so we as schools should be looking at ways to use them, and to get the most out of them with the minimum of fuss within our classrooms.

    Also, why on earth doesn't paper weight count? I remember in my secondary school, I would be carrying an average of 3000 pages of books into school with me each day, to put in my (school paid for) locker. I would need a couple of minutes between lessons to go out of my way to visit my locker to collect books, then go to my lesson - with every start or end of a lesson involving a couple of minute 'waiting' time for pupils to turn up. The books were also paid for by the school - and I'm sure you should know, big text books aren't cheap. All our notes were done on paper provided by the school also, again more cost. Something like a netbook, personal laptop or ipad would mean having the latest version of a book available on screen as soon as the pupil turned it on, they could store their work on it, or access it on the school VLE. A teacher could set a test on the VLE and the pupils could all do it there and then via their device, with the teacher being able to give out results much faster than before.

    So, why specifically do you think iPads and similar devices are a bad idea in schools?
    There is no need for anything to be invented by your rationale.

    In my opinion, cars were invented because they would better the way people got around, plaything of the rich and famous or not. A need was identified, and an invention created.

    The iPad and other handheld devices have answered a need. People can now be more or less anywhere they want and do the things they need to do. The mobile phone didn't need to be invented as we had phone boxes (remember those?) but the mobile phone bettered how a phone could be used.

    However, in schools, we are looking for ways to integrate these devices into the curriculum. We are looking for a need when perhaps one doesn't actually exist? Add to that the cost, maintenance, support and everything else that messes up the equation, and you have a mess to deal with.

    Kids don't need gadgets in schools to learn. They have enough gadgets in society that they can play with. They can game, they can text, they can communicate. But do we actually need these gadgets in our schools? I don't think we do.

    I have spoken to teachers here today who recoiled in horror when I said we were going to be replacing the IT suites with netbooks. In each and every case, the question was "why?"

  9. #54

    localzuk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Minehead
    Posts
    17,680
    Thank Post
    516
    Thanked 2,451 Times in 1,897 Posts
    Blog Entries
    24
    Rep Power
    832
    Quote Originally Posted by theeldergeek View Post
    There is no need for anything to be invented by your rationale.

    In my opinion, cars were invented because they would better the way people got around, plaything of the rich and famous or not. A need was identified, and an invention created.

    The iPad and other handheld devices have answered a need. People can now be more or less anywhere they want and do the things they need to do. The mobile phone didn't need to be invented as we had phone boxes (remember those?) but the mobile phone bettered how a phone could be used.

    However, in schools, we are looking for ways to integrate these devices into the curriculum. We are looking for a need when perhaps one doesn't actually exist? Add to that the cost, maintenance, support and everything else that messes up the equation, and you have a mess to deal with.

    Kids don't need gadgets in schools to learn. They have enough gadgets in society that they can play with. They can game, they can text, they can communicate. But do we actually need these gadgets in our schools? I don't think we do.

    I have spoken to teachers here today who recoiled in horror when I said we were going to be replacing the IT suites with netbooks. In each and every case, the question was "why?"
    Ok, think of it this way. A child today can spend all their own time engaging life with technology adding in to it. They see flashy applications everywhere they go, making things fun. Now they come to school, an environment where such things are snubbed as they 'cost too much' and find the environment boring. This leads to lower attainment as children learn more when they enjoy the learning process. Why should school end up being associated with dullness and boredom?

    Why would you be replacing IT suites with netbooks? That makes no sense. What people are proposing is that personal devices such as netbooks supplement existing technologies in place. Eventually, it is likely those existing technologies will be supplanted with the personal devices, as their use increases.

    I suppose it really comes down to how you think children learn. Do you reckon children learned as much in victorian schools, with ultra strict school masters, chalk boards etc... or do you think they learn more in modern schools with engaging lessons, individualised learning etc...?
    Last edited by localzuk; 11th May 2010 at 01:58 PM.

  10. #55
    theeldergeek
    Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by localzuk View Post
    At the moment, our school has 3 IT suites that get booked by teachers for lessons. This is therefore a limited resource. We very often find teachers who can't get into an IT room at all as someone else has booked it in advance. If the kids had personal devices such as iPads, they would be able to whip them out during any lesson at any time, to do much of what they'd usually have done on a full desktop PC. Factor in the settling time and the 'packing away/logging off' time for traditional IT room use and you realise that a good 5 - 10 minutes is wasted in every booked IT room lesson - personal devices would pretty much eliminate that.
    If are convinced you have justified a reason to have them, then go buy them. The argument is not to not do so. The argument is can it be justified.

  11. #56

    broc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    England
    Posts
    2,046
    Thank Post
    104
    Thanked 401 Times in 265 Posts
    Rep Power
    150
    Quote Originally Posted by localzuk View Post
    I suppose it really comes down to how you think children learn. Do you reckon children learned as much in victorian schools, with ultra strict school masters, chalk boards etc... or do you think they learn more in modern schools with engaging lessons, individualised learning etc...?
    There's a very good question.....

    I watched a bunch of kids this morning during a GCSE photography exam; I was impressed with their skill with Photoshop, less so with their ability to spell, punctuate, or follow verbal instructions given to them by the staff supervising the exam.

    The question I ask myself is, should we be teaching them how to behave, how to spell & punctuate (skills they will need in their adult life) or teach them how to manipulate images with photoshop... a skill for many that will be wasted?

  12. Thanks to broc from:

    Jamo (11th May 2010)

  13. #57
    enjay's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Reading, Berkshire, UK
    Posts
    4,488
    Thank Post
    282
    Thanked 196 Times in 167 Posts
    Rep Power
    75
    Quote Originally Posted by theeldergeek View Post
    As for netbooks being used for part of a lesson, what is wrong with shutting down a desktop PC or simply turning the screen off, something which would be a lot quicker than shutting down and packing away a netbook.
    Nothing, so long as you are one of the first two classes to try and book the IT Suite that lesson, and not one of the x many other classes also happening at that time.
    Nothing, so long as the School doesn't mind that a teacher takes a class of 3 pupils into a room with 25 other computers which can't them be used by anyone else for that lesson.
    Nothing, so long as you don't want them to use other specialist equipment as well.
    Nothing, so long as they don't need space to put books or paper down when they're not using the computers
    Nothing, so long as the teacher is happy that they can't see the whole class and that the students can't easily see each other, thus rendering class discussions difficult.
    So, actually, quite a bit!

    Quote Originally Posted by theeldergeek View Post
    You are inventing typical "it would be so much better" scenarios which actually aren't if you took a minute to think about it.
    No I'm not. I'm identifying typical problems which we currently face (not inventing anything) which iPads/netbooks could address.
    Last edited by enjay; 11th May 2010 at 02:11 PM.

  14. #58
    Jamo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    1,350
    Thank Post
    66
    Thanked 175 Times in 147 Posts
    Rep Power
    60
    Quote Originally Posted by enjay View Post
    Nothing, so long as you are one of the first two classes to try and book the IT Suite that lesson, and not one of the x many other classes also happening at that time.
    Nothing, so long as the School doesn't mind that a teacher takes a class of 3 pupils into a room with 25 other computers which can't them be used by anyone else for that lesson.
    Nothing, so long as you don't want them to use other specialist equipment as well.
    Nothing, so long as they don't need space to put books or paper down when they're not using the computers
    Nothing, so long as the teacher is happy that they can't see the whole class and that the students can't easily see each other, thus rendering class discussions difficult.
    So, actually, quite a bit!


    No I'm not. I'm identifying typical problems which we currently face (not inventing anything) which iPads/netbooks could address.
    Surely the teachers shuld be booking the IT suites in advance then rather than waiting to the last minute and finding that someone else beat you to it! Its common sense surely!

    What specialist equipment can you use on the iPad or netbooks that you cant use on a desktop?

  15. #59

    localzuk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Minehead
    Posts
    17,680
    Thank Post
    516
    Thanked 2,451 Times in 1,897 Posts
    Blog Entries
    24
    Rep Power
    832
    Quote Originally Posted by Jamo View Post
    Surely the teachers shuld be booking the IT suites in advance then rather than waiting to the last minute and finding that someone else beat you to it! Its common sense surely!

    What specialist equipment can you use on the iPad or netbooks that you cant use on a desktop?
    Yes, teachers book those rooms in advance, but there are still a limited number of them, and many classes going on at the same time!

  16. #60
    enjay's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Reading, Berkshire, UK
    Posts
    4,488
    Thank Post
    282
    Thanked 196 Times in 167 Posts
    Rep Power
    75
    Quote Originally Posted by Jamo View Post
    Surely the teachers shuld be booking the IT suites in advance then rather than waiting to the last minute and finding that someone else beat you to it! Its common sense surely!
    However far in advance you book it, there are only 2 IT Suites, so someone is going to be disappointed.

    Quote Originally Posted by Jamo View Post
    What specialist equipment can you use on the iPad or netbooks that you cant use on a desktop?
    I meant specialist equipment in the room, e.g. Technology or Science rooms - you can start a lesson on netbooks and then put them to one side more easily than you could relocate the whole class from IT Suite to Lab - even more so if you want the computers in the middle of the lesson.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. [Pics] What Comes After the iPad?
    By ZeroHour in forum Jokes/Interweb Things
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 20th December 2010, 05:56 PM
  2. apple's first ipad
    By Face-Man in forum Blue Skies
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 7th April 2010, 05:22 PM
  3. [Website] For this (and this alone) I'd buy an iPad
    By theeldergeek in forum Jokes/Interweb Things
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 4th April 2010, 11:58 AM
  4. So the iPad...
    By bladedanny in forum General Chat
    Replies: 118
    Last Post: 3rd February 2010, 10:02 AM
  5. ipad
    By psydii in forum BSF
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 28th January 2010, 10:19 PM

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •