+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast
Mac Thread, iPad in schools in Technical; Originally Posted by enjay You're still assuming that something which you could get to work would be appropriate for my ...

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by enjay View Post
    You're still assuming that something which you could get to work would be appropriate for my school, or vice versa, i.e. that there are universally good projects. You might have a brilliant way of using iPads in class, which for a myriad of reasons, wouldn't fly here.
    Not really - I'm just providing you with the information about how it worked here, and what happened. You'd then decide whether that's worth doing for your school, and whether to investigate it as a pilot project, go straight into a full implementation, or other.

I'm not sure why you're so desperate to assume that I think school's should be dictating projects to one another when all I'm suggesting is a bit of information sharing. Just because I give you a case study of how something works for me doesn't mean I'm insisting you implement it yourself.

Thank Post
    Am I reading this thread correctly? That people are ACTUALLY thinking of spending money on gimmicky gadgets for use in schools?

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Jamo View Post
    Am I reading this thread correctly? That people are ACTUALLY thinking of spending money on gimmicky gadgets for use in schools?
    IWBs?

Some schools will really make use of new technology, others prefer to stick with more traditional methods. It's all to do with individual school environment and budgeting.

Thank Post
    As gadgets go, arent there better products on the market then the iPad. I sometimes think that Apple products are just fashionable and thats why they get away with the price. Dont get me wrong, some of the stuff they come out with is pretty cool but in this case i think they have some real competition.

Thank Post
    seems to be already happening First U.S. High School to buy iPads for their students. I think they are just fashion products but so many people are using them!

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by jamesb View Post
    Not really - I'm just providing you with the information about how it worked here, and what happened. You'd then decide whether that's worth doing for your school, and whether to investigate it as a pilot project, go straight into a full implementation, or other.
    Okay, I'd misunderstood your post - I fully agree with the above model, where schools share best practice.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Jamo View Post
    No, we're discussing ways in which a new technology might be able to enhance the teaching in our schools. Much like the first school to buy IWBs, or start video editing, or podcasting, or any number of other "gimmicks".

Thank Post
    Thanks for all the replies guys, i am dreading these gadgets hitting my school and i am putting off as much as i can but with the head extremely impressed with our new mac suite hes edging that way. maybe its time the mac suite had a major network crash and caused unfixable problems for a few days to put him off!! lol

Thank Post
    It really depends upon your approach to technology; Are you technology or solution led? By this I mean do you see a piece of technology & buy it & see how it fits, or do you identify a problem or requirement & look for a solution that may or may not be solved by technology? If you have the luxury of unlimited funds (or can attract sponsorship) then being technology led can be great for innovation. However most schools can only afford to be solution led....

10. Thanks to broc from:

Sylv3r (11th May 2010)

Thank Post
    like most schools we are solution led, but our head likes us to stand out and is renouned for testing rubbish out for the local LEA, making my job fun! so it wouldnt suprise me to see these next year

theeldergeek
    Quote Originally Posted by enjay View Post
    No, we're discussing ways in which a new technology might be able to enhance the teaching in our schools. Much like the first school to buy IWBs, or start video editing, or podcasting, or any number of other "gimmicks".
    The thing is, I can see how IWB's have advanced learning, but I can't (yet) see things like iPad's (or anything handheld) having the same impact on classroom learning. Kids sit in front of computer, use mouse = learn. Kids sit in same seat, use iPad = learn. How, exactly, has learning 'moved on' in the 2nd scenario?

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by theeldergeek View Post
    Kids sit in front of computer, use mouse = learn. Kids sit in same seat, use iPad = learn. How, exactly, has learning 'moved on' in the 2nd scenario?
    How about schools which don't currently have 30 laptops in every classroom or a system of pupil laptops, where the choice is between introducing netbooks or introducing iPads?

Thank Post
    You have a massive potential waiting in the iPad, its a shame it was flawd (in an education environment) from day 1! 90% of the websites we use in a primary run flash, add flash support and I can see it being a great tool for the classroom.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    It would be nice, but you just cannot justify buying them at that price.

I can get two netbooks for that!

Where are the management tools to stop students installing apps?

Why are the batteries not replaceable?

Why can't I browse much of our VLE?

It's blue skies thinking to have them, but you cannot justify them, you would be better off buying an alternative windows tablet.

16. Thanks to Mr.Ben from:

stevehp (14th May 2010)

Thank Post
    I'd just fear for the life of them, they are the latest tool to have. Kids will realise this and they fit nicely into bags, if they are also so inclined you may find a smashed screen every other day.
    We buy hundreds of PC's a year to replace the damaged / vandalised kit in our school.

Yes the technology is fantastic and would be brilliant in an ideal world, but in reality can schools afford such a costly venture.

By no means writing them off but they are expensive and will they be used for the right purpose? I doubt it, let our teachers have a break and get used to current technology for just a while

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast