+ Post New Thread
Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 289101112
Mac Thread, iPad in schools in Technical; Originally Posted by Abaddon However, I can't see how you could stop them being stolen, even here where we have ...

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Abaddon View Post
    However, I can't see how you could stop them being stolen, even here where we have almost zero problems along those lines.
    What you could possibly do is purchase the 3G models (More expense i know) but then have a mobile me account and then you could inform the pupils that these devices can be tracked and retrieved if anyone is thinking of stealing them. But then they may see it as a bit of a challenge

Thank Post
    Or you could buy the regular ones but tell the students they can be tracked anyway :-)

Thank Post

tracking

You can also track with wifi as Apple have a database of all wifi APs around the country as well.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,314 Times in 798 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by HodgeHi View Post
    What you could possibly do is purchase the 3G models (More expense i know) but then have a mobile me account and then you could inform the pupils that these devices can be tracked and retrieved if anyone is thinking of stealing them. But then they may see it as a bit of a challenge
    Thats pretty much bested by changing the sim.

Thank Post
    Theft is certainly a talking point which affects any portable device, including laptops and cameras. It's bound to be more of an issue where you have something extra desirable like an iPad or iPod touch. Schools are talking about engraving the metal backs to act as a deterrent to the eBay crowd. If you book them out to students by serial number (printed on the back of each iPad) at least you'll know who the culprits are when some of them don't come back
    On a positive note we're finally seeing some strategic thinking about this type of device and what they are actually FOR in an educational context. Lots of interesting comment around the fact that students tend to see the activities on them as games rather than lessons, purely because of the type of experience they're getting. Have a look at Apple - Education - Mac, iPod, iPad, and iPhone for learning to see what Apple themselves are saying.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,442 Times in 1,890 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by chenchen21621 View Post
    The prices you see are correct for both commercial and education. There is so little margin in this product for resellers and Apple alike that you are unlikely to see any price lower than this, unless you are looking at buying 1,000 of them.
    The margin for resellers is low, yes, but not quite so for Apple themselves. A few outfits on the net have dismantled the device, and got figures for the individual components etc... and they all come to around the same - manufacturing costs would be around $250 - $300. The margin for Apple is pretty good, once they cover R&D (which won't take them long).

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 289101112