+ Post New Thread
Page 10 of 12 FirstFirst ... 6789101112 LastLast
Mac Thread, iPad in schools in Technical; Originally Posted by HodgeHi Now, Silverlight on a mac is actually alright. Much better than flash anyway in my experience. ...

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,453 Times in 1,899 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by HodgeHi View Post
    Now, Silverlight on a mac is actually alright. Much better than flash anyway in my experience. But then I've only used it when using the ITV Player.

What's everyone elses opinion of Silverlight Vs Flash? Is it a contender? and if so why isn't this allowed on the iPad/iPhone? is it a lack of a mobile version?
    Personally? I much prefer Silverlight - but that's because I'm coming from a developer standpoint and Flash is horrible. ActionSctipt sucks badly IMO.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,699 Times in 2,288 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I am also heavily in favor of Silverlight above flash, it is vastly better from a coding standpoint and an architecture one. It is also much friendlier for porting in most areas sans DRM with projects like moonlight. I don't like their projected mobile support though as it leaves out WM6 despite their original hinting that it would be supported, now it is limited to WM7.

Mobile wise it is questionable that it would end up on the iPad as it in competition to apple and their developer tools.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by HodgeHi View Post
    and if so why isn't this allowed on the iPad/iPhone? is it a lack of a mobile version?
    It is more likely because Apple don't like anything multi-platform, preferring instead things which were written specifically for an iProduct.

Thank Post
    You don't have clue....It's called touchscreen technology.... it's about a more interactive environment it's about using more interactive applications....

Apple - iPad - Apps for iPad

Thank Post
    I sincerely think that these types of gadgets are a waste of time and money. Let's not go down this route when we can barely afford to pay teachers properly!

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,135 Times in 1,031 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by newt View Post
    I sincerely think that these types of gadgets are a waste of time and money. Let's not go down this route when we can barely afford to pay teachers properly!
    dont start that argument teachers are paid a hell of alot more then us technicians!

Thank Post
    I decided to bite the bullet and order an Ipad to try in school, should be here on Tuesday. I look forward to having a play with it.

Thank Post

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,453 Times in 1,899 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Alis_Klar View Post
    There are so many cheaper options than an iPad for this. Choose a cheap and cheerful android tablet instead, as its functionality is kinda irrelevant, only that it is a touchscreen and can run the receiver.

Thank Post
    We have ordered 1 for our SEN department. We got it as there are some good educational packages on the apps store for it, and it is easy to lock down actually.
    Obviously the iPad will have to be used under supervision, as it is expensive kit, but surely this should happen with any IT equipment being used in school?

Thank Post
    I could see these being ideal electronic registration devices for lessons away from the main classroom, i.e PE lessons and school trips. Get the 3g version, setup the VPN support and vola. I've read comments about certain MIS suppliers considering developing applications for the iphone, so maybe I'm not in a total dream world.

Easy to carry, standby battery life of days, none of the pratting about waiting for Windows to load on a netbook and then dealing with all the management of a full on portable client.

As for student use... I'm not so sure about classroom use, as the majority of computer usage is for producing documents which is something that would really suck doing on the iPad for a long period of time, not to mention the non network friendlyness of the device (i.e No Windows shares).

But on school trips to say, the national history museum I can really see the potential. If they eventually gain a camera and are clever enough to load location specific apps they would be amazing for this purpose, Pulling up all sorts of information about whatever the user is currently focusing on, letting the user take notes and pictures about what they are seeing to be used when they return, not unlike the way the reviewer uses it in the Gizmodo review. Apple iPad Review

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by DrCheese View Post
    I've read comments about certain MIS suppliers considering developing applications for the iphone, so maybe I'm not in a total dream world.
    You're not in a total dream world Dr Cheese.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by DrCheese View Post
    I could see these being ideal electronic registration devices for lessons away from the main classroom, i.e PE lessons and school trips. Get the 3g version, setup the VPN support and vola. I've read comments about certain MIS suppliers considering developing applications for the iphone, so maybe I'm not in a total dream world.

Easy to carry, standby battery life of days, none of the pratting about waiting for Windows to load on a netbook and then dealing with all the management of a full on portable client.

As for student use... I'm not so sure about classroom use, as the majority of computer usage is for producing documents which is something that would really suck doing on the iPad for a long period of time, not to mention the non network friendlyness of the device (i.e No Windows shares).

But on school trips to say, the national history museum I can really see the potential. If they eventually gain a camera and are clever enough to load location specific apps they would be amazing for this purpose, Pulling up all sorts of information about whatever the user is currently focusing on, letting the user take notes and pictures about what they are seeing to be used when they return, not unlike the way the reviewer uses it in the Gizmodo review. Apple iPad Review
    Reading the signs next to the exhbits is too hard for the little kiddliwinks?

I'm sure there are genuine uses, I can even see some of them (particularly for older students), but others which I've heard do seem to be a bit technology for technology's sake rather than genuine uses.

Besides, for the price of paying for an iPad for each student for a Natural History museum visit you could simply hire a large selection of very good guides for the day.
    Last edited by jamesb; 7th June 2010 at 09:21 AM.

Thank Post
    not sure what good they will bring in school with such pricing...

Thank Post
    Hi

We recently bought 6 iPad's to trial in school, but we have a problem in that, when we go to the App Store on the iPad's, choose an app, press install, it as asks for the Apple ID password, then returns to the home screen, to start the download, but then comes up with the messages, "Cannot connect to iTunes Store, OK"

We have tried various Wifi points in the school, different levels on Encryption, but it wont download anything, browsing the Web is fine, receiving mail is fine. The iPad's and App Store work's at home no problem.

We can browse and download apps via iTunes on a Macbook fine then Sync them to the iPads. iPhones and iPod Touches seem fine also within school. It is just the iPads the won't download apps.

I was just wondering if anyone has had this problem we are on EMBC.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 10 of 12 FirstFirst ... 6789101112 LastLast