+ Post New Thread
Mac Thread, Mac on a Windows (well urmm 'ish) domain in Technical; Hi, Just bought a Mac Mini :twisted: (10.4 Tiger - Updated) so that we can say we can do Mac ...
    Thank Post

Mac on a Windows (well urmm 'ish) domain

Hi,

Just bought a Mac Mini :twisted: (10.4 Tiger - Updated) so that we can say we can do Mac client support on Karoshi. But I have run into a slight problem I can't join it to a domain?! :x

We can browse folders, etc but that is as far as we have got. I found the directory access in utilities, but we don't have AD(as its a Linux server) and our Samba is not using LDAP as a back end (yet), the samba option gives some stupid box that just says WINS server, which obviously isn't very helpful, and I don't want to use NIS.
    Does Mac have a simple just join the domain button?

I must admit this is my second day, I have never touched a mac in my life....and I am finding it very very strange 8O ...so any pointers, at all, would be helpful... 8)

Also I notice a bash command, does Mac allow you to run Linux software/commands? Cause if so we maybe able to use the Linux Client setup that we have to join Macs to the domain as well?!? Just a thought! :twisted:

Back to searching the web!!

Jo :?

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,032 Times in 812 Posts

Re: Mac on a Windows (well urmm 'ish) domain

We can browse folders, etc but that is as far as we have got. I found the directory access in utilities, but we don't have AD(as its a Linux server) and our Samba is not using LDAP as a back end (yet), the samba option gives some stupid box that just says WINS server, which obviously isn't very helpful, and I don't want to use NIS.
    Does Mac have a simple just join the domain button?
    OSX uses samba, can you use 'net ads join' ??
    how about make your samba PDC a wins server and use the samba option ?

sorry I don't have a mac at hand to try this, and I've only done it with a MSAD DC

Also I notice a bash command, does Mac allow you to run Linux software/commands? Cause if so we maybe able to use the Linux Client setup that we have to join Macs to the domain as well?!? Just a thought! Twisted Evil
    OSX is based in BSD and is very similar to linux, you'd need to compile applications for the mac though , most bash/python/perl etc should be ok

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,773 Times in 1,100 Posts
    Blog Entries

Jo

I would say to get a really good answer on joining a mixed domain (windows, Linux and Mac) the have a thorough delve into www.macenterprise.org and subscribe to the macosx-interop list on the apple lists.

I'm away for a few days now but will dig out what I can when I get back.

As for the *nix side of things ... OS X is basically FreeBSD with some fancy stuff on top (except that some things are quite as up to date as they should be) so if you are happy with bash then it should do most things ... unfortunately not all packages that are happy on FreeBSD are happy on Tiger ... but that is out of my league really ...

HTH

Thank Post

Thanks,

Yes, my next option was to go though all of the commands used to join a Linux pc up, and see if they are the same.

New it was built on BSD but wasn't sure how many changes they had made. As long as I can compile I will be happy!!

Jo

Thank Post

If you have a look at the Darwin Ports project, or Fink, you might get some packages that help you do what you need to. I might actually try it out myself this coming week and see what I come up with. It's actually a good idea though. The OS X kernel is actually a XNU (X is not Unix) and built around Next and some BSDs. So the tools and the technology are there underneath that you would need.

http://www.kernelthread.com/mac/osx/arch_xnu.html

In fact, to learn Unix on OS X I have simply been using my Linux books and Unix guides lying around the house. I haven't had to buy "OS X" centric Unix books at all.

BTW- Karoshi is running great under Parallels. Great work!

Paul

Thank Post

Thanks Paul,

I have ordered a kvm (should of thought of that first!) so should be playing with it alot more when that arrives, as unpluging usb/dvi cables is not my idea of fun :P

Jo

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,030 Times in 955 Posts

>> Does Mac have a simple just join the domain button?

Is that going to be for the next release in os x leopard ? LOL

Thank Post

Macs do have a button to bind to the domain in directory services, however it only supports joining an active directory domain (ldap). Plugins can be written for directory services though. You might want to look at its other ldap binding options.

Thank Post

If you look in Directory Access in the Utilities folder, inside Applications, there is an "Active Directory" section. Go into this and you can easilly join your MS AD domain, withouth having to mess around at the command line. My, it's almost like using a real computer.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread