+ Post New Thread
Mac Thread, Ipad Extended Review. in Technical; Just been handed an Ipad to register on our wireless... Had a play with it for 10 mins. Didnt like ...

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

Ipad Extended Review.

Just been handed an Ipad to register on our wireless...

Had a play with it for 10 mins.

Didnt like it.

2. 2 Thanks to RabbieBurns:

Hightower (30th April 2010), mattx (30th April 2010)

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,068 Times in 625 Posts
    Here is my one worded review: Kak.

Thank Post
    YouTube - A Dog Tests the iPad - Tested.com

I think his review says it all..

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,068 Times in 625 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Ben123 View Post
    YouTube - A Dog Tests the iPad - Tested.com

I think his review says it all..
    Would have been better if the dog had defecated over it.

Thank Post
    I got one imported the day of the release in the US and i really like it. I think it will have a great potential within education and i know it has issues with wireless but I am sure an update will be due out.

I think people should give this "immature" product a chance as its in its first month of development of applications and I can see some great application due in the next few months.

Ross

Thank Post
    I'll wait for the second, if not 3rd rev before even looking. It will take that long for people to have been using them in real world situations to find what needs adjusting & then shout loud enough for Apple to change their mind.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,291 Times in 801 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Ross2k5 View Post
    I got one imported the day of the release in the US and i really like it. I think it will have a great potential within education and i know it has issues with wireless but I am sure an update will be due out.

I think people should give this "immature" product a chance as its in its first month of development of applications and I can see some great application due in the next few months.

Ross
    I'd like to be positive about it, but I think they've gone about it wrong.

If you look at the hardware teardowns, it really is just a big iPhone. For me, its got some of the iPhones advantages, with none of its portability.

Now, if it'd been running a cut down version of OSX I would have snapped one up straight away - as it stands, it just seems like a bit of a half-assed effort.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Domino View Post
    I'd like to be positive about it, but I think they've gone about it wrong.

If you look at the hardware teardowns, it really is just a big iPhone. For me, its got some of the iPhones advantages, with none of its portability.

Now, if it'd been running a cut down version of OSX I would have snapped one up straight away - as it stands, it just seems like a bit of a half-assed effort.
    For it to weigh what it does (almost too heavy going by reviews) and run for 10 hours or 'all day' then it needs to be ARM (osx only just 'upgraded' to x86, an ARM fork would be going backwards) and software they can control...

Thank Post
    I got an iPad while in the states recently, and I really quite like it. Importantly the wife and kids love using it for checking their email and surfing on, so they now leave my laptop and desktops alone . Everyone who has had a go seems to love it, mainly I suspect because it follows the usual ease of use that apple products tend to have. In fact the only people who I know who have reservations with them are friends that are IT professionals, right up to the point they actually use one, then they see how it works and like it, then try the Air Video app out, and order one. I read last night that Apple have now sold a million in a month, so they must be doing something right.

Thank Post
    Ive seen the terminal services app demonstrated on it and im pretty interested now.

Being able to remote my main machine upstairs quickly without having to get my laptop out etc appeals to me.

Thank Post
    bah - waste of time!

Thank Post
    I had a play with one at a special needs school in the Midlands a couple of weeks ago. In that context it was pretty much as perfect an interface as i've ever seen. In the wider context of schools and colleges, particularly secondary schools, it's going to be interesting to see where people go with it. It's a no brainer for Primary, by the way. Amazing what's being investigated there. For BSF there's a pre-existing need to explore transformational technologies, and they'll be looking to see if the iPad has anything to offer. Personally, I think that terminal services is the way forward there. Generally we're expecting a steady movement towards virtualisation and terminal services anyway, and this will just be a different way of accessing those technologies. It's not the right answer for many schools, of course, but for some it's an interesting idea with lots of benefits. The weight of the thing is down to the battery, I would imagine, but having handled one I don't think it's an issue. Interesting times...

Ultimately, this is an exciting interface solution for some specific areas, but it's not going to change the way schools operate for the core of their IT needs. Not yet.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    I agree with Domino to be honest, i dont have anything apple related apart from an iPhone 3Gs and to be honest it took alot of doing to get one these in my pocket. If it was running OSX i probably would of found the cash from somewhere to get one but likewise it's just a big iPhone and i aint spending stupid amounts of money to be an owner of one.

James.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread