+ Post New Thread
Mac Thread, Workgroup manager prefrences in Technical; We have an xserver set up running mac server leopard 10.6. In the workgroup manager i have a user group ...

Thank Post

Workgroup manager prefrences

We have an xserver set up running mac server leopard 10.6.
    In the workgroup manager i have a user group defined with system preferences that control the wallpaper etc.
    Is there any way that I can copy all the preferences from this group to a new group that I need to create to so i don't have to go through the hassle of setting up all the settings again.

Thank Post
    Hi Steve

Unfortunately not. You have the pleasure of laboriously defining MCX all over again. Perhaps you could submit this as feature request?

Apple - Mac OS X Server - Feedback

HTH?

Antonio Rocco (ACSA)

theeldergeek
    Quote Originally Posted by djsmiler View Post
    Is there any way that I can copy all the preferences from this group to a new group that I need to create to so i don't have to go through the hassle of setting up all the settings again.
    Yes, there is, but I can't for the life of me remember how you do it. We have done just this for about 5 or 6 groups we have.

I seem to remember it's something to do with the 'SAVE' option at the bottom of the group panel in WGM, but you have to do things in a certain order to be able to do it.

You can also then automatically add a user to that group when you create their account by pre-selecting the defined group you want them in at the point of creation.

Unfortunately, I'm not back into the office until Thurs, so I can't take a look until then. If you PM me to remind me, I'll take a look then and post how it is done.

EDIT : Found this via a quick Google search : http://lists.apple.com/archives/clie.../msg00165.html

Hope it helps?

Thank Post
    I personally prefer to do this through DSCL it's the easiest and certainly my preffered way of copying the managed preferences for a group and then applying them to another group and will ensure you only copy managed preferences.

I would take a look at the man page for DSCL.

Tom
    Last edited by TomH; 4th April 2010 at 03:56 PM.

theeldergeek
    Quote Originally Posted by TomH View Post
    I personally prefer to do this through DSCL it's the easiest and certainly my preffered way of copying the managed preferences for a group and then applying them to another group and will ensure you only copy managed preferences.

I would take a look at the man page for DSCL.
    Easiest?!? Isn't it command line?

Here's the man page : dscl(1) Mac OS X Manual Page

I admit I don't 'do' command line because it does make my grey matter hurt, so maybe I don't understand how "easy" DSCL is to use.

Can you enlarge on how/what you would do to copy one group to another in the way described, but using DSCL?

Thank Post
    Templates are probably best for you having re read you initial post they are found within workgroup manager at the bottom pretty central, just create a preset from your existing group, using the menu and then with that selected (so test) in my image create a new group, it will then have identical settings.

And just for fun :

Quote Originally Posted by theeldergeek View Post
    Easiest?!? Isn't it command line?
    Yes its command line..we all hate them but you cant do it through a GUI without using templates and thats only for new group creation, not for applying a set of existing Managed Preferences to an existing group so its not really that great.

Can you enlarge on how/what you would do to copy one group to another in the way described, but using DSCL?
    DSCL gives you the option to backup existing Managed Preferences and then overwrite then with the new ones that you require, and more importantly in their entirety or for individual keys.

Top tip, its also a good way to script the management of local machines without the need for a xserve which is ideal for small environments.

Here's the man page : dscl(1) Mac OS X Manual Page
    Hmmm that man page doesn't seem to be complete examples would be :

To export the current group to a plist file.
    Code:
    mcxexport . -o /ODPlists/export.plist
    To import a plist file containing the managed preferences to the current group.
    Code:
    mcximport . /ODPlists/export.plist
    The examples are for a complete set of keys, you could be more specific and specify for example com.apple.desktop if you needed to batch update the desktop wallpaper for a whole load of groups.

The more you use the backend tools with OD the more you realise the GUI hardly scratches the surface.

Depends what functionality you require, if its just a one off copy for a new group then use Templates within the GUI, but at least you will now be aware of the options

Tom
    Last edited by TomH; 5th April 2010 at 01:09 PM.

7. Thanks to TomH from:

sjatkn (9th May 2013)

theeldergeek
    This is how you do it using WGM.

I did mine via ARD on the xserve as it didn't seem to work using WGM on a client machine. If you have already created your group and saved your preferences, you may only need to start at stage 3 to create a preset.

1. Create your group in WGM and save it.
    2. Set all your preferences for applications etc.
    3. Go back to the 'accounts' tab, highlight the group you created, then at the bottom of the screen where the preset selections are, select 'save preset'.
    4. Give the preset a name, i.e. science dept

The steps above will a) create your group, b) set the group preferences c) save it as a preset.

DO NOT save the preset before you are entirely happy you have set all your preferences correctly. I'm not sure whether the preset will inherit changes to the group after it has been saved. Trial and error involved for anyone who has the time to check this out.

Now, to create a further group with the same preferences as another, go to the presets at the bottom of the screen and select the preset that has the same preferences as those you wish to duplicate, i.e. science dept

Once this preset is selected, and is being displayed in the preset dialogue area, create your new group and save it.

In effect, what you have done, is create a preset, then by having that preset selected when you create a new group, you are creating that new group with the same configuration as the original.

You can do the same sort of thing with users incidentally. Once you have your groups, they will appear in the 'presets' at the bottom of the create user screen. We have a "students" preset and a "teacher" one, for example.

When we create a new user, we select the preset to which we wish their configuration to apply, and all the preferences are applied on save.

So, if I want to create a new student user, I just make sure that the "student" preset is selected before I click 'new user', so that when I do click 'new user', that user inherits all the preferences for the "student" preset.

Hope that helps?
    Last edited by theeldergeek; 22nd April 2010 at 09:54 AM.

9. 3 Thanks to theeldergeek:

GrumbleDook (22nd April 2010), HodgeHi (4th May 2010), Marci (5th May 2010)

theeldergeek
    Quote Originally Posted by djsmiler View Post
    We have an xserver set up running mac server leopard 10.6.
    In the workgroup manager i have a user group defined with system preferences that control the wallpaper etc.
    Did my solution work? You never got back to me?

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread