+ Post New Thread
Mac Thread, Cannot netboot on new iMacs in Technical; Just got some new 27" iMacs, but for some reason, our netboot setup with DeployStudio suddenly doesnt work. Holding N ...

Thank Post

Cannot netboot on new iMacs

Just got some new 27" iMacs, but for some reason, our netboot setup with DeployStudio suddenly doesnt work.

Holding N on bootup, I get the big globe for a few seconds, then the Apple logo with the small globe, that then dissapears but instead of changing to the moving cog and booting into deploystudio, it just sits there with the Apple logo forever.

I've tried 2 just in case one was faulty, they both do it, and it does still work on our older macs.
    I've also upgraded DeployStudio to rc17 (we were previously on rc15) and no difference

Has something changed in these latest macs?

Thank Post
    Hi

Was the hardware used to build the image being deployed by DeployStudio a 27" iMac? If the answer is No that would be the reason.

"Has something changed in these latest macs?"

Yes. Graphics chipset for one plus the processor itself as well as a few other components that will probably be different to the hardware used to build the image you already have. You can't assume a single image for a iMac will install let alone boot all other mac models including older or newer model iMacs. For example if you used a 2.66 Ghz 20" iMac that originally came with 10.5.6 to build your image it won't boot or install on a MacMini, MacPro, MacBook, MacBook Pro or the latest 20" 2Ghz iMacs. You can use an image built from a 2.66Ghz 20" iMac and install it on a comparable 24" Model that was available at that time.

Hope this helps?

Antonio Rocco (ACSA)

Thank Post
    Hi Antonio

Yeah I didnt expect the actual images themselves to work, but I cant even boot into deploy studio to try one. I thought that was a universal boot image for some reason.
    Because even if I prepare an image from scratch on one of the 27's (which im perfectly happy to do) if I cant then boot into deploy studio to create the image I'm a bit screwed.

I just assumed I could boot pretty much anything - I certainly can boot our 24/20" iMacs, our 17" 2006 iMacs, our 2008 MacBooks, and some old G4 iBooks. But Ill obviously have to have a look tomorrow on the server then.
    Last edited by sidewinder; 10th March 2010 at 08:11 PM.

Thank Post
    Are the devices getting DHCP leases?

Thank Post
    i've just used carbon copy cloner & a firewire cable to go from a 20" iMac from 2008 running 10.5.8 on to a 21.5" iMac with no issues and then upgraded to 10.6, bootcamped & wincloned.

now i just need to figure out how to setup Deploy studio to make life easier

Thank Post
    @ sidewinder

Hi

AFAIK you use 10.6 SIU to create your nbi as a NetRestore image. Once you have that you should be able to use NetBoot or if you want DeployStudio as it should be able to work with nbis regardless of which version SIU was used. Why don't you try and build your image using what's built in first to see if it works. It should do?

Having said that I've not used DeployStudio. Hopefully others who have may respond to this thread soon and possibly help you out?

Antonio Rocco (ACSA)

Thank Post
    You were absolutely right, I was just being an idiot, as usual. Created a new .nbi image on the 27" mac and it now boots fine.

Because I'd only needed to do it once before (because I did it on our newest macs) and it was a while ago, I'd just completely fogotten I had to do that . Thanks for your help

Thank Post
    You have to use the newest hardware due to driver differences eg the graphics card, and newer frameworks are added to the .nbi when created and perhaps a few other things too.

Thank Post
    Now my problem is either trying to get 10.6 to stay connected to AD (early indications show this still doesnt work) or force 10.5.8 on it (have read it can just about be done but you lose some functions due to the hardware being newer than the OS)

Fun, fun, fun

Thank Post
    Make sure that you are using the newset version of DeployStudio as it now supports 10.6. There may be a few changes on the way it changes the byHost prefs and the LKDC and a few other items.

Also make sure that you have 10.6.2 installed as 10.6 did have an issue with binding IIRC.

But i too am struggling with binds disappearing, but on 10.5.8

Thank Post
    Yeah they came with 10.6.2 but after one reboot the bind was lost. Will have a play though.

Funny, never had a problem at all with 10.5.8! Well, unless OSX has decided to revert to Apples inaccurate time servers..

Thank Post
    Ended up going with 10.6.2 (only installed a few so far mind) and it seems that an update (perhaps 10.6.2 itself) appears to have fixed the binding issues for us.

Going to leave it a few days to be sure, but they havent disconnected once yet and pupils have been using them constantly since they went in

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread