+ Post New Thread
Mac Thread, Software for mac management in Technical; Could somoene please give me information on any software that is out there at a resonable price that is able ...

Thank Post

Software for mac management

Could somoene please give me information on any software that is out there at a resonable price that is able to manage mac's. We need to for backing up the macs limiting user's rights and brininging some control to the admin. At the moment we only have a handful of mac's and the kids have free reign over them, even though they are not set as administrators they are persistent and will find ways around doing anything they are not supossed to be doing. Cheers in advance.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by xeroxxe View Post
    Could somoene please give me information on any software that is out there at a resonable price that is able to manage mac's. We need to for backing up the macs limiting user's rights and brininging some control to the admin. At the moment we only have a handful of mac's and the kids have free reign over them, even though they are not set as administrators they are persistent and will find ways around doing anything they are not supossed to be doing. Cheers in advance.
    AFAIK the only way to do this is with an xserve using server admin and workgroup manager.
    Last edited by bladedanny; 9th March 2010 at 12:12 PM. Reason: Spelling

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by bladedanny View Post
    AFAIK the only way to do this is with an xserve using server admin and workgroup manager.
    just buy a macmini and snow leopard server - You can get a macmini server for about £750

Configure - Apple Store (U.K.)

Thank Post
    We have a mac mini spare actually, does that mean we could use that but do all the mac's need to be running snow lepord, they currently run lepord. Cheers.

Thank Post
    No your macs can run leopard with a snow leopard server - thats your best bet!

If you've got another spare mac mini lying around... i'll take it off your hands!

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by bladedanny View Post
    There are other options besides an Xserve.

It depends on how many macs you have to manage and how reasonable you want the price to be

You could modify your AD schema to include the attributes for management of OS X clients. This is free but a bit daunting for most admins.

If you only have a handful of macs, then you could use a Mac Mini server instead of an Xserve, this will be substantially cheaper but performance will not be as good.

Another option is to install some 3rd party software such as Centrify, this allows management of OS X clients from AD. It's licensed per mac client so can get pricey if you have lots of macs. More info and a 30 day trial from here.

Centrify DirectControl Overview

Sammy

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by sammya View Post
    There are other options besides an Xserve.

It depends on how many macs you have to manage and how reasonable you want the price to be

You could modify your AD schema to include the attributes for management of OS X clients. This is free but a bit daunting for most admins.

If you only have a handful of macs, then you could use a Mac Mini server instead of an Xserve, this will be substantially cheaper but performance will not be as good.

Another option is to install some 3rd party software such as Centrify, this allows management of OS X clients from AD. It's licensed per mac client so can get pricey if you have lots of macs. More info and a 30 day trial from here.

Centrify DirectControl Overview

Sammy
    Yeah what I actually meant was os x server and for some reason put xserve, not a good sign this early on in the week

Thank Post
    Don't know what its like these days but 5-8yrs ago when I was Chieft Technician in a university school of art and design my mac technicians used to swear by Hi Resolutions Mac Administrator (http://www.hi-resolution.com) for locking down and keeping control of early versions Mac OS-X.
    Since leaving the university i've not had reason to look at MacOS, but thats changing as one school has just bought a few MacBooks and i'm on a "Mac support for PC technicians course" at the end of this week, if i get the chance i'll ask about administration tools and post back any sensible reply.

Andy

Thank Post
    Check out Bombich.com: Leveraging Active Directory on Mac OS X and Mac OS X Server for a document on how to go about management using AD.

IIRC you can also use Apple Remote Desktop (ARD) to control and manage things.

Easiest way is to use a Mac mini (or old Mac of some description) running OS X Server so that you can use Open Directory to lock down the machines and control preferences and use AD to authenticate.

Thank Post
    It doesn't actually say that he is bound to the AD, unless i missed it. If he is then OS X Server will be required/ad Schema extended. If not and he only has a few machines, he could just use the built-in parental controls found under users in system prefs. This will only let them run and do what you let them do.

If you are looking to invest in more though, you may be better off with the OS X Server.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread