+ Post New Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Mac Thread, New Mac Suite in Technical; I dont feel that primary school children will benefit from macs, and indeed if mac os was the only os ...

Thank Post
    I dont feel that primary school children will benefit from macs, and indeed if mac os was the only os you used with them I actually feel like you would be giving them a disadvantage. Most high schools, and colleges use windows for the majority of machines, as does 90% of industry.

I really feel like os x should be left to the arty/media types.

Also - there is little support for os x, little amounts of software, all the woe of integration, unless you HAVE to deliver osx i really wouldn't bother.

Thank Post
    as for primary school kids being able to complete tasks quicker than using windows....isnt that just because os x has "toy-town" type applications? designed for people who cant use a "real" os??

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,677 Times in 2,271 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by HodgeHi View Post
    But since we are talking about cost. We have no real need to upgrade Windows XP to 7. For this point there is no real advantage to spending the cost. Yes it looks different but overall the usability is more or less the same. Granted more stable, and efficient but from an end-user's POV the same. If you can use XP then you should be able to find your way around Vista/Win7
    I have been thinking about the possibility of upgrading XP to 7. Still am. I do see that the younger pupils need to start using the OS that will be theirs in the future.
    Granted however I was just questioning the comparison and cost wise a Windows 7 box will be cheaper on average than a Mac.
    The teacher preference is quite a funny thing at our School. You see, the teacher who taught our Year 5's didn't know anything about OS X until she started working here. She got familiar with them at the same time as the kids through topics based on learning OS X. That year 5 is now Year 6. They are taught by a teacher that still moans about her blackboard being taken away, at every opportunity each day. But yet the pupils still prefer to use OS X over the windows side. But it is their choice. The teacher would prefer not to use either
    I know teachers like that also

I can honestly say i have never tried to use these pieces of software or seen them. I have heard of them however. How to they integrate? Because I think that's what gives OS X a slight advantage over Windows. The integration is tighter. It may sound like I'm just iterating the Mac Ads but it is true. You see creating the albums in iPhoto them allows you to just drag them right onto your iWeb site. They come right from iPhoto. There's no need to mess around with imports/exports. Just an example.
    They do integrate very tightly with online web services, it is a case of providing a youtube logon to upload a finished video to youtube from live moviemaker for instance and a similar experience with Picasa of Live Photogallery. Have not really tried the local integration though as short of a VLE internal intranet documents are worked on right from word just like any other document.

It may be a little more diverse than the Mac approach but the EU would fine them the first born of every Microsoft employee and the GDP of the US for several years if they dared to implement that much bundled functionality in Windows. I think that this is one of the main reasons for this difference between the products.

We looked at them and looked at the costs involved. We also looked at what benefits they would bring. We had the money at the time. We also didn't have the room for any more ICT suites (so buying 2 PC's for one mac just wasn't going to work for us ). We also purchased a 5 year warranty with each mac. So we know for sure that they are going to last at least 5 years without needing to spend any money for repairs.

We are happy with our setup and are happy with how our ICT has developed. We can teach our kids email, we now run our own mail server for staff also. We have full control over our Website. We have a VLE which should be more economical in the long term to run. We have a lot of things that we would have needed additional licenses for if we went with the MS alternatives. Yes you can do it with open source but then you would need the skills/time to configure and build them.

Sorry if this sounds like a rant or a defensive attack. It's not supposed to.
    No problem with your reply, it sounds like you did the appropriate investigations at the start and had good justification for the purchase along with taking the appropriate steps to safeguard your investment (5 year warrenty). It also sounds like it is being well used and as all those criteria were met it could be considered a sensible decision in the case of your school. Sorry if my original reply sounded harsh also it was just meant to put foward the case for reason over rashness in any decision regarding a computer purchase.

4. Thanks to SYNACK from:

HodgeHi (18th April 2010)

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,781 Times in 1,105 Posts
    Blog Entries
    @mbrunt after laughing at the open trolling I thought that actually you have a point ... many people do actually believe some of this and it falls down to the fact that if a teacher is comfortable teaching with something, or kids learning with something then saying it isn't suitable is a pile of rubbish. Ok ... perhaps it is wrong for me to just jump on things like that but let's take it to a slightly different viewpoint.

The things that makes the biggest difference to kids learning is a darn good teacher. As far as technology goes what is chosen matters little as long as it allows a good teacher to be good, helps ok teachers move towards becoming good teachers and it doesn't become a barrier to learning / teaching. Having said that there are lots of ways that the choice *does* make a difference, but that is because sometimes the little choices can help people make big steps. This might be because it is efficient, it is engaging, it supports communication, it has a good scheme of work attached to it ... but more often that not the problem that you have in schools is that an application is taught rather than the skill. There are times when it is applicable such as pro apps in music or graphic design ... but generally it should make little difference what OS or apps you use.

Ok ... once you have got through the educational side of things *then* the school can start making choices around whether it is cost effective, whether the support overhead overrides the possible educational benefits and your input into this is important but has to be part of the balanced approach.

I can think of lots of apps which can be used educationally on a Mac, and some of it comes down to the little fact that almost *anything* can be used educationally with a bit of thought and application.

Thank Post
    @Synack,

I agree with what you say about the Eu. It is somewhat unfair. While i see the point with what that they are doing or trying to restrict, it restricts just what MS can do for the end-user. Apple have proven this with the integration of their software.

@mbrunt,

What would you consider a real OS? I'm curious. I consider a real OS one that lets you get on with the tasks at hand. That doesn't get in the way. IMO a real OS should never really be noticed.
    And i do think in some instances our kids can produce work at a quicker pace. E.g in Pages they don't have to mess about with the formatting of the images on the page just to stop text from going all over the place. You could argue that these are things that should be taught. But does word 2007 still do this (honestly, I've no idea. I've never used it ).?

Also in some aspects having a simple interface to work with can help. A simple Finder, for example can assist in the younger children in developing their skills without the risk of damaging an install of the OS. We don't just cater for kids aged between 7-10 or whatever year 5 and 6 are. We have to cater right from Nursery level up to year 6. This has its own problems.

@GrumbleDook,

I agree with what you saying with regards to how the software/hardware is used by teachers. Surely having options/alternatives is also a good thing. There's some good Windows only software and some good Mac only software.

Also some Windows only software can work on macs too, if they're tweaked a bit

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123