+ Post New Thread
Mac Thread, Connecting to windows pptp VPN from 10.5 in Technical; Hi there, I am having trouble connecting a mac mini (power pc, 10.5) upto a windows 2003 vpn server using ...

Thank Post

Connecting to windows pptp VPN from 10.5

Hi there,

I am having trouble connecting a mac mini (power pc, 10.5) upto a windows 2003 vpn server using pptp.

I have got it up and running fine with various windows clients and also from my iphone. All working ok. The problem is that I am unable to get this mac mini connected using the in built software on the mac mini.

I have created the connection in the network preferences to use pptp and entered the username. Ive set the encryption level to auto. When i try and connect i get prompted for the password and after entering the password the VPN fails to connect and I get a warning from internet connection dialog box saying could not negotiate a connection with the remote PPP server. Please verify your settings and try again.

The odd thing is these are the exact same settings that work from my iphone?!!!

Anyone any tips or ideas on how to get it up and running?

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,570 Times in 2,187 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Do you have VPN passthrough enabled on your internet router. PPTP uses the GRE protocol which can be problematic with some internet routers. The error above (at least in the windows world) generally indicates that it was able to contact the VPN server and request a secure channel but was unable to access the secure channel.

If you are behind a larger firewall like ISA you would also need to allow the PPTP traffic through that.

Thank Post
    Hi there,

I have not got anything like that configured at the remote site but i am able to connect through the same router via wifi with a PC and iphone.

Thanks

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread