+ Post New Thread
Mac Thread, Netboot Problem Across Switches in Technical; Not sure whether this should be in this forum or the Network forum (chose this one in the end as ...
    Thank Post

Netboot Problem Across Switches

Not sure whether this should be in this forum or the Network forum (chose this one in the end as it sems specific to the Macs).
    Right, we are mainly a PC school with PXE/WDS deployment working fine across switches and VLANs.
    Before I go any further I need to say that I know nothing about Macs and the current config was setup by another member of staff who does know about Macs.

For the Apple Macs we use Netboot, which works fine from the core switch (HP Procurve 5412zl) and also from a HP Procurve 2900 plugged into it (also across VLANs on these two switches).
    However, Macs plugged into a 3com 4250T, 3com 2824-sfp plus or 3com 4500 don't work.
    The PCs connected to these switches PXE boot fine.
    There are appropriate ip helper addresses added to the HP 5412zl (which is acting as the router for the network).

Is there something I need to set on the 3coms or does anyone else have a solution?
    I know of the NBAS option, but this means changing a setting on each Mac's firmware, which I am reluctant to do - plus I'd rather get it working the "proper" way.

Thank Post
    Ok, we've narrowed this down:
    1. an iMac plugged into the switch netboots fine
    2. a Mac Pro doesn't UNLESS it is plugged into the core switch (same switch as the Mac Server)

I'm guessing Mac Pros do their "netbooting" differently and, as such, can't handle broadcasts between switches properly if they are not in the default VLAN

Not sure what the solution is - can't imagine having to shift around 30 macs all the way across school to re-image them is going to be practical

Thank Post
    You need to add the address of the Netboot server as an ip helper for the vlan (you can have multiple).

It doesn't need to be a dhcp server, just needs to see the request so it can send a response back for the remote boot.

EDIT:

Ah, you already have this set for the procurve and it works. If the 3coms don't bundle the remote boot requests along with dhcp traffic like the procurves do then you may be out of luck.
    Last edited by DMcCoy; 12th March 2010 at 11:10 PM.

Thank Post
    Hmm, now read your second post. Working for just the imacs is definately odd. Are the ports tagged or untagged? Does the netboot server show up when picking a startup disk in a machine that is already booted and working?

It wouldn't surprise me if the pros were broken in someway. Something always is with apple.

Thank Post
    Richie - get yourself a mac that won't netboot, and open up terminal....type in

sudo bless --netboot --server bsdp://10.10.10.10

Change the IP to your netboot server, now try to netboot.

Thank Post

Thumbs up Cross VLAN Netboot

Quote Originally Posted by Richie_OLSJ View Post
    For the Apple Macs we use Netboot, which works fine from the core switch (HP Procurve 5412zl) and also from a HP Procurve 2900 plugged into it (also across VLANs on these two switches).
    I am desperately trying to setup netboot and netrestore in my company and reading you post has given me a glimmer of hope.

I would just like to compare notes, we are using a Procurve 2900 as our core switch it also manages the VLANS.

Our skynet server is in the default VLAN along with the DHCP server, all the other desktops are in other VLANSs.

How did you manage to get a mac to netboot across the VLAN? I have read this page afp548.com/netboot/mactips/nbas.html]Bombich.com NetBooting Across Subnets over and over and i am still no further forward.

I tried mbrunt's method of sudo bless --netboot --server bsdp://10.10.10.10 but get "failed to determine preferred network interface" so once again i am stuck

Any guidance would be greatly appreciated!

Thank Post
    I have found using the IP-helper address command to allow os x to netboot. I have configuration manager/WDS and deploystudio and both work happily together. I have found that you do not need to change any DHCP options for WDS or configuration manager.

Ross

8. Thanks to Rozzer from:

ipadmin (14th July 2011)

Thank Post

Cool top banana

Hi Ross,

Thanks for that it worked like a charm just added an ip helper-address of the mac server to each of the VLANS and voila all VLANS can now net boot

No i have just got to get net install to work lol

Thanks once again and sorry for high jacking the thread

Ben

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread