+ Post New Thread
Mac Thread, Bluetooth iPod Touch in Technical; Hi, I have linited knowledge of mac. A teacher here has an iPod touch and also has an iMac. He's ...

Thank Post

Bluetooth iPod Touch

Hi,
    I have linited knowledge of mac.
    A teacher here has an iPod touch and also has an iMac.
    He's trying to transfer files via bluetooth. THe device shows on the iMac but it says disconnected even though bluetooth is enabled on them both.
    Is this a problem or is there no way to transfer files and its audio only.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,632 Times in 1,460 Posts
    Didn't even realise they had bluetooth but a spot of googling shows it was activated by the ver 3.0 os upgrade.

Ben

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,056 Times in 977 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by plexer View Post
    Didn't even realise they had bluetooth but a spot of googling shows it was activated by the ver 3.0 os upgrade.

Ben
    still not sure if they will have the bluetooth file transfer profile enabled or even installed on them - as I have an iphone 3GS with latest firmware and it wont do any file transfer via bluetooth - has to be hardwired via usb

only way i managed to get photos and contacts transferred was between 2 iphones or my iphone and another ipod touch that has the same app installed on them ie bump ( there is an application called that on the app store )

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by karldenton View Post
    A teacher here has an iPod touch and also has an iMac.
    There's your problem right there

If anyone comes to me with an iProblem I tell them to talk to the Art department...

Thank Post
    As far as I'm aware you can't transfer files via Bluetooth from an iPod Touch. iPod music files are held in a specific disk area and synchronised with a single Mac host using the usb cable. If there are other files on the iPod, they'll presumably either be held in a designated file storage area (storage enabled iPod which you set up in iTunes) and you use those again over usb. Over wifi you can store files in some iPod apps and move them to and from your Mac. I use Briefcase Lite, which is a free iPod Touch app and lets you connect over wifi (not Bluetooth) between your iPod and your Mac, and copy files around. Remember that the Touch and the iPhone have a weird file directory where each app has its own directory, and you normally need to communicate directly with the app, like Briefcase does. Hey Mac Software: Briefcase Lite So, as I understand it, here are the options:
    1. Music from iTunes will only be accessible FROM the paired Mac TO the iPod, you can't get those files off the iPod onto a different Mac (without cheating)
    2. If the iPod has its disk drive mode enabled in iTunes you can use part of it as a portable usb hard drive
    3. You can install an app which allows file transfer to and from a Mac. You have to import files directly to and from that app.
    I hope that helps in some way. Anyone else found any other things you can do?

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    I was not aware that the iPod touch had a Bluetooth Connection, See here: iPod Touch Bluetooth Unlocked by OS 3.0 - Tom's Guide

If you wish to transfer files i am under the impression you will have to get an APP to do this.

James.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread